Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My take on Allentown...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:06 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I was there both nights and watched every corps. I must say that this year is the first time in a loooooong time that I really enjoyed all of them. I can see hints of music, drill and guard work and props from the past being incorporated in many, many corps! Of course that was a plus for me!

It's so nice that corps are getting back to the "in your face" attitude. Now IMO it's time to either shorten the Ballads or cut them out entirely. I watched the audience fidget and be restless while many corps seem to bore the crowd with their Ballads. Yes, some ballads are beautiful but are entirely tooooooo long.

Now after reading so many reviews about how Madison was terrible this year it was time for me to take a first read. I didn't find them all that bad. It is obvious that there are a lot of rookies on board but I thought their show was still good. Will it be good enough to crack the top 12? I doubt it mainly because there are just too many corps who are just as good or better this year. It's like all of a sudden the other corps figured out the formula.
Who the heck writes the music for Bluecoats? MAN, was that corps in FIRE! If I were blind and you didn't tell me who it was, I would have thought by the jazz licks they were the Blue Devils! The dark uniform is definitely helping out their execution this year.

OMG if you haven't seen Crown this year you MUST SEE THEM! Who ever designed their show was a GENIOUS! Just think of the Broadway hit Cats but done with guard members to act like horses. The only weak thing I could see about this corps is their drumline.

Jesus.....someone lit a fire under Blue Devils! They were HOT Sunday night! I was mesmerized by their guard as well as enjoying some old guard props thrown in the Pegasus repertoire. Their drumline was SMOKING!

I understand now why Blue Stars are beating Crossmen. Crossmen's drill is wicked hard! I don't know if Sylvester wrote it, but you can sure as heck see his influence by the staging of the voices.....very well thought out and extremely difficult compared to what they have been doing in the last few years. They FINALLY get field coverage! Blue Stars are good and the uniforms look great but their drill is less demanding and therefore cleaner.....at this point. There is A LOT of follow the leader which will hurt them IF Crossmen can clean their drill.

I wasn't sure at first about Cavaliers Billy Joel show.....but now WOW! I LOVED the meaty and dare devil guard moves as well as horn visuals that reminded me of Cavies from the '80s.

Phantom Regiments Firebird is AWESOME! Their color guard kicks butt! The famous Regiment low brass intros will definitely get your attention. New uniform makes the corps look crisp and clean.

Wow....it took Bridgemen a whole year to figure out their Shuffle again and I must say it was well worth it! The corps was MUCH, MUCH better than last year! They even threw in a tribute to the 27h Lancers! A friend of mine who aged out with 2-7 in '80 was sitting with us and she got all teary eyed!

Well there is more, but I am very tired from a 6 hour drive.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Last edited by Malibu on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the great review! I agree with your point about ballads...while I enjoy the ballads, especially Phantom's and Crowns (those just seem to be more enjoyable to me with that incredible sound), I feel sometimes they do drag on too long.

Did you see Cadets or Santa Clara and have any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I want to know if you saw Troopers, and if they are deserving of this week long plateau.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:58 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yes, I saw SCV and I like the direction that corps is taking. Color Guard has improved so much as well as horn sound. Watching them I couldn't help but think how this year reminds me in some ways of their shows from the late '70s and early '80s. The only thing I can figure out without looking at the recaps as to why they beat Crown is their drumline is soooooo much better. I'm not a drummer, but Crown's book did seem weak compared to some of the other corps as well as their marching execution. Can Crown take SCV? I don't know....this year is so hard to predict who will be in what order for the top 5. Corps are flip-flopping every night.

Yes Marianne.....I saw the Troopers! :D They seem to be back on track. Some folks like the new uniforms while I heard others say they didn't care for the jumpsuit look.
I can understand the concept as they were trying to be close to authentic but with a modern flare. Color guard still has a ways to go IMO. The Sunburst was there but the work the guard was doing wasn't what was needed at that point. Too much spinning while trying to make their way through the hornline.
I give this corps a few years and they may be back in the thick of things.

I heard some folks after the show grumbling about Cadets "speak" part of their show. I see why they are doing it and I can understand why some folks don't like it. It is a bit of a distraction. When we should be watching the corps, we are too busy caught up into finding the person on the field doing the audibles, but it does make since when you see how the drill and music all flows around the speaker.

I LIKE Glassmen's color guard! Cool idea with the rifles on the members as they dance and do flag. I thought the whole corps was strong!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:19 pm 
All Star
All Star

I heard today that it was a requirement for all Glassmen guard members to dye their hair black. Interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:44 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:
I heard today that it was a requirement for all Glassmen guard members to dye their hair black. Interesting.

That ain't the first time guard members were asked to dye their hair. Remember when Sky Ryders did their awesome rendition of West Side Story? One half of the guard had to dye their hair blonde while the other half dyed their hair black. It's pretty common now days to see it in winter guard as well as DCI.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
Yes, I saw SCV and I like the direction that corps is taking. Color Guard has improved so much as well as horn sound. Watching them I couldn't help but think how this year reminds me in some ways of their shows from the late '70s and early '80s. The only thing I can figure out without looking at the recaps as to why they beat Crown is their drumline is soooooo much better. I'm not a drummer, but Crown's book did seem weak compared to some of the other corps as well as their marching execution. Can Crown take SCV? I don't know....this year is so hard to predict who will be in what order for the top 5. Corps are flip-flopping every night.

You know, Malibu, I had the same thought as I watched SCV. There's a majesty about them that is a lot like their openers in the '72-'79 years. You're right - the drum line smokes, and I mean more than the snares. Plus, what a cymbal line!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:11 am 
Veteran
Veteran

[/quote]You know, Malibu, I had the same thought as I watched SCV. There's a majesty about them that is a lot like their openers in the '72-'79 years. You're right - the drum line smokes, and I mean more than the snares. Plus, what a cymbal line![/quote]

At the Normal [BOA camp] show a total newbie band mom sat next to me-lots of fun questions. Her son is a percussionist who wants to march a corps next year. When SCV came out, she asked me what to look for. There were SO many things I could have advised, having watched them over 5 hrs that day, but I said-watch this cymbal line, they are incredible. The fact that they even march plates is cool......but it's way beyond that.