Divison II
69.25 Colt Cadets

Divison III
70.95 Capital Sound

Post subject: review
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

My hometown show! I'll start from the top...

Capital Sound - Horns sounded a lot stronger at the top. Nice progression for them throughout the season.

Colt Cadets - holy. cow. absolutely entertaining and REMARKABLY TALENTED. Kudos ad infinutum to their recruitment team. Such an incrdible leap even from last year. Their marching a crack drumline and they've got the best sounding horns since I marched ('95-'97) (I embellish). Great drill, nice marching. Great job to the instructors.

I hope you all caught the Colt Cadets at the beginnings of shows. So much fun.

Side note: are they truly using them as a 'B' Corps now, and having kids who try out for Colts go to Cadets, perhaps? I wonder...

Cavaliers (that's right, they were on 3rd) - Good show. No matter what they do, it'll always be one of my favorite of the season...usually (though this wasn't necessarily my favorite show of theirs). Too many tuck-and-roll moves, right? Great guard work/uniforms and I love the "Stranger" solo at the top of the show.

I liked the "Frameworks" style break added to "Pressure", top of the show hoad some re-working that was nice. "Scenes" needs something more - it seems to peak early and then continue, not a strong ending, IMO.

Blue Stars - lots of reworked drill at the top of the show from when I saw them in Madison a month ago. They added the pause at their tableau midway through their show - which was needed. Seemed like an off night to me, a little low on energy. Still rooting for the to make Top 12. (I think they should, the online footage of Academy did nearly nothing for me. It's a good show, but it seems about 10 years behind its time.)

Sprit of JSU I expected nothing (not having liked last year's show) and I ended up watching one of my favorite shows of the season. GREAT arrangements performed by a corps fighting to stake their spot as Top 12 material - and it's paying off. Terrific job and my hopes that they keep fighting.

Colts And here's where the Colts would normally falter in any given year. As I've mentioned before, the Colts have jumped back into the Top 12 game with solid horns, much improved drums and drill that shows of how much more talented and dedicated this corps has become over the last few years.

The "Troika" section in Lieutenant Kije got a typical Colts "jazzy reworking" and is proof of how badly this corps means what they're performing this year. Given the talent in the Colt Cadets and the fire in this corps this year - I have no doubt that they'll be in the Top 12 for the next several years and be knocking on the doors of BAC and BK.

Have a good night everyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Also, a bit of an unexpectedly low score for Cavies, no?

My guess would be that no true competitor (with Colts 8-9 points behind) was present to warrant a competitive edge in scoring.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:49 am 
All Star
All Star

Yeah, I chalk up the low score to there being such a large gap in performance levels. In this case the judges had to make huge leaps in scoring. When someone is 2-3 points better in a caption it's harder to pinpoint exactly how much better (2.2 or is it 2.5?) than if the corps are just tenths apart.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Cavies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have no baseline for comparison, as I was chasing my daughters with their marching band up until last week. But I will say, Cavies last night in Dubuque were flat. Or if not, they are not upper echelon material. I counted two, yes two, ensemble tears. They were not minor either, easy to pick out. Also, one section of the ballet, there were 3 horn players out of step.

The guard had timing and just mental breaks throughout the entire show. During the performance, the rifle line is central in a block nearer the end of the show. Rifles were all over the place. I don't know if they just added the work, but for late July, I was surprised at lack of tight execution.

The hornline had no energy at the end of the show, what so ever.

I have not been disappointed in a Cavies performance in decades, but I was last night. Also, I really didn't enjoy the music as much as I had anticipated. Way too sterile for a Billy Joel show. Staff should let them loosen up. Think about the image of Billy Joel. No east coast, big city swagger. The show really does not fit the persona of the material as well as it could.

As for Colts and Blue Stars, WOW, I love the shows. So much potential for the shows yet. Hope they both keep adding.

Blue Stars hornline is doing a lot of dance movement, and with very nice effect. Love the new unis. Nice show. Welcome back. They definately are contenders for a top 12 spot. If the guard kicks it in over the next two weeks, they probably are in.

Colts rocked the joint. What a fun and entertaining show. Guard written well in the show, I didn't have to search for my visual impacts, they were there kicking my butt. Guard doesn't have the most difficult book, but it is very well written and they are executing well. Lots of enegy, home show doesn't hurt. If they don't make top 12, then there are a lot of very good corps this year.

Jeff
Madison 78-81, MSARP 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:44 am 
All Star
All Star

As hard as it is for many to accept, the Cavies are not their usual stellar best this year. They are still a strong corps, but the corps is young from what I heard, and I felt the show, drill especially, was written with a younger corps in mind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:34 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I think Jeff put into words how I feel about the Cavies show this year - it could be a lot more flooring for the fact that a lot of people expect a wow show from the Cavs and that Billy Joel material could be used to just "go to town" on.

And I agree with TX too, the drills not the best they've ever done. I'll reiterate - what's with all the tuck-and-rolls?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Chadams wrote:
I think Jeff put into words how I feel about the Cavies show this year - it could be a lot more flooring for the fact that a lot of people expect a wow show from the Cavs and that Billy Joel material could be used to just "go to town" on.

And I agree with TX too, the drills not the best they've ever done. I'll reiterate - what's with all the tuck-and-rolls?

I assumed when I saw it that maybe it was something Billy Joel did in performances. . .a trademark of his possibly. But it is completely overused in their opener. Its a gimmick.

Profile E-mail