92.075 Bluecoats
90.675 Santa Clara Vanguard (-1.0 pen.)
88.625 Blue Knights
84.425 Glassmen
81.900 Crossmen
79.875 Seattle Cascades
79.850 Troopers
77.100 Mandarins

SCV's penalty was for arriving to the field late.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Go Troopers!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

79.875 Seattle Cascades
79.850 Troopers

Troopers are closing in on the Cascades for 17th and a spot in Semi's!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Go Troopers!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jazzman wrote:
79.875 Seattle Cascades
79.850 Troopers

Troopers are closing in on the Cascades for 17th and a spot in Semi's!!

Nothing against the Cascades, but that would be rad as all hell.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

Given the complaints about the web coverage, I'm glad I was there LIVE! 8-) :tup: What a great show it was! After an exhausting weekend hoofing it up and down the insane hills of San Francisco, I am finally relaxing a little bit in Monterey. I started writing just a couple of thoughts on what I saw on Saturday night, but it's turning into something much longer and more review-like. But, whatever. You'll take what I give you and you'll like it! :lol: Oh yeah, I met Wildabeast there and we chatted for a couple of minutes at intermission. Good guy, I'm glad we met up! There may be a picture floating around the internets as proof of our meeting....

As for my thoughts on the show. BD is coming along nicely. Everytime I see them there's a little more that I like. The opener, ballad, and end of the closer are working for me now.

Cadets performed the snot out of that show! (mostly....) They are definitely for real. I just wish they cut out the cheesy stuff, although I agree with Abalone (I think) that the narration in the middle portion (rehearsal section) works fairly well. But the rest of it is corny, repetitive and uncomfortable to listen to. Oh, their drill forms looked a little sloppy for scoring 95+.... Id they clean up this week, it looks to be their trophy to lose.

Bluecoats have added some more details but couldn't quite crank it up to that next notch. Too bad, because I would really like to see them top 3 this year (although they may yet catch the Green Team). I was sorry to hear them hose down the tuba parts though. That line was smokin' early season but now with less notes to play they don't seem quite as awesome. I don't care if it's a little cleaner, it doesn't have the same impact.

SCV was late.... despite being first on after intermission. huh? Either they had their watches set wrong or they purposely came in late to give the home town fans another minute to get back to their seats. They've made a TON of changes since San Antonio! Glad to see they aren't rolling over and playing dead. I thought it was a tossup bewteen them and the 'Coats and looking at the recaps (before the penalty) it sure was.

Then there was BK. They are definitely one of my favorites this year! Early season recording was..... meh? But, the San Antonio webcast blew me away. Seeing them live was ever so much more better. Does that even make sense?? The arrangements, the color guard, the knee pop, the crazy blind pass-throughs in the last sets of the show??? All makes for some good drum corps!

I may have to give thoughts on the rest of the corps some other time, because I can barely stay awake as I write this.... Although I'll be in the middle of know where on the Pac Coast tomorrow night (Lucia Lodge, thanks for the recommendation Big Mo!) so it won't happen until later this week, at which point most people won't care anymore.... But whatever, I need to get some shut eye!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Machine wrote:
Oh yeah, I met Wildabeast there and we chatted for a couple of minutes at intermission. Good guy, I'm glad we met up! There may be a picture floating around the internets as proof of our meeting....

Something like this?
It was certainly nice to meet the Machine and hope to run into you in Pasadena again!

It's very nice to see live drum corps in California in August for a change. I hadn't seen any shows since the California State Open, and I surely hadn't seen BD & SCV since Day 1 of the drum corps competitive season. Holy Momma Cow!

A lot of good shows. Bluecoats have come a long way and are certainly asserting themselves into elite territory. It was nice to see Troopers back in action (complete with Sunburst!).

I just got done posting my pictures of the event. Have at it and enjoy!

Some minds are like concrete -
thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

Wow, makes me regret not taking a picture with Kimberly from San Antonio. :( Always cool to meet up with drum corps folks.

Great pics, Wil! Is there a way to save pics off of flickr?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

I know!!! I was thinking that, too!!! Next summer, TX, next summer. I had my camera in my purse but forgot about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:25 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:
Wow, makes me regret not taking a picture with Kimberly from San Antonio. :( Always cool to meet up with drum corps folks.

I'm not Wil....but yes you can save them. Right click and highlight "Save Picture As." :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:23 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
TXMystreaux wrote:

I'm not Wil....but yes you can save them. Right click and highlight "Save Picture As." :wink:

Actually, not always the case. Some flickr pages have the photos set to being unable to download or save them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TXMystreaux wrote:
Malibu wrote:
TXMystreaux wrote:

Actually, not always the case. Some flickr pages have the photos set to being unable to download or save them.

Then you whip out your 35mm and snap a photo of your monitor. :lol:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:27 am 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
Malibu wrote:

Then you do this...

1. Open the source code for the page (Ctrl+U in Firefox; "View" then "Source" for you poor saps using Internet Explorer)...

2. Ctrl+F ("Find") "jpg"

3. Keep selecting "next" until you come to the JPG you're looking for. You have to know what you're looking for. You'll pass by jpg files for ads, site banners, etc. On FlickR, keep your eyes open for "<xxxx>.static.flickr.com" (where <xxxx> changes), which is where flickr stores their files. Make sure you aren't grabbing the thumbnail (thumb, thmb) file.

4. Highlight the web address for the picture and paste it into your browser's address window. TA-DA. You now have the picture without restrictions, and you can now right-click and save-as the photo whenever you want.

For example...
Page in gallery with Mandarins photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildabeast ... 294014543/

Directly to the photo itself
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/104 ... 47.jpg?v=0

Tune in tomorrow when I have hours of free time to tell you how to rip pictures out of online Flash galleries. :cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:31 am 
All Star
All Star

Thanks. . .yes, there are some photos from the DCI galleries I would love.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 am 
All Star
All Star

Actually, I was being sarcastic. Pulling stuff out of Flash galleries is a pain in the neck and I'm not always successful. I haven't been able to do it on DCI's galleries yet. :?

Profile E-mail