It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8/5 - San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 am 
All Star
All Star

This will be very brief.

Pioneer - 8th, 73.275
Nice kids. Entertaining show. Nothing new to add from other reviews.

Pacific Crest - 7th, 79.875
Much bigger and louder than Pioneer. Lots of parents and alums in the stands providing a nice crowd response. Show goes nowhere for me. Best show moment: Drum Major's smile (think toothpaste commercial complete with sound effect from pit). Worst show moment(s): Getting hit over the head again and again with the corny narration.

Madison Scouts - 6th, 81.000
The rumors of their demise have been exaggerated. No Finals this year, but good crowd pleasing show. Best company front of the night. If there wasn't so much quality competition right in front of them, this would be a Finalist show that few would question.

Blue Stars - 5th, 83.300
Nice big show. Half-white shoes seem distracting when facing front. Bigger sound when moving than Scouts. A show I would gladly watch again.

Spirit - 4th, 83.800
Had low expectations for this show based on previous reviews but found it very enjoyable. Toss up with BS.

Colts - 3rd, 85.325
Any thoughts this was possibly not going to be a Saturday night corps can be forgotten. Lots of GE moments. I might have had Spirit & BS a little closer spread-wise though.

Crown - 2nd, 92.950
Here the show took a big upswing as the elite corps came to perform. Crown is graceful, beautiful, IN TUNE, balanced, clean, well-designed, luscious, powerful (get the picture?) The BEST 9 minutes of the night. Then it happened and it broke my spirit (staying with the equine theme here). The ending of the show, with a (by comparison) hokey William Tell and a horse race, complete with super slo-mo Matrix photo finish, all ruined by the stupid narration telling me what I was seeing! Dammit, people, give the audience a little credit for understanding the obvious!!! This show quickly became my second favorite of the night and Phantom had yet to perform.

Phantom - 1st, 93.275
Drum colors seem to clash with the ice-blue highlights on the unis. While not quite as luscious in the brass dept. as Crown (Crown out Phantom-ed Phantom), still a very powerful performance. Percussion had the edge over Crown but Crowns CG was better (and better integrated it seemed). Old school spirit in this show.

Best moment of the night: PR's encore. They played music from '74, 89 and who can remember what other years (Festive Overture anyone?). They then dedicated their performance of Elsa's to a former CG member who died suddenly yesterday at the age of 33. I removed my hat and teared up even more than I did when they played New World a moment earlier. Organizationally, they seem to have a deep respect for their past. Classy. I won't have a better moment than that in Pasadena, I'm sure.

Crowd was WAY TOO SMALL for a show of this caliber in August! Plenty of room outside the 30's in a very modest sized high school stadium. Esperanza's status likely didn't help with the show promotion.

Shame on:

A) The area band directors who should have made a point to encourage their students to attend

B) San Diego area school districts for making housing these corps so difficult & expensive.

C) No shame, but Cavaliers were scheduled to be in the area overnight. Wish they could have joined us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:45 am 
All Star
All Star

I agree on brass comment Crown vs. Phantom, but somehow the judges keep putting Phantom in front of Crown for brass. What is up with that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:13 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Oh my.....what a battle for that 12th spot! Crossmen got an 83.175 this same night! :shock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:47 am 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
I agree on brass comment Crown vs. Phantom, but somehow the judges keep putting Phantom in front of Crown for brass. What is up with that?

Not being a brass person, I couldnt begin to know. BUT, Crown seemed to be at their extreme best while playing big white notes while standing still (I know, everyone sounds best doing that). Maybe it's a demand issue??? They seemed to swap subcaptions last night with PR taking the technical.

Post subject: Re: 8/5 - San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 am 
All Star
All Star

xsabers wrote:
Best moment of the night: PR's encore. They played music from '74, 89 and who can remember what other years (Festive Overture anyone?).

That would be 2001. :cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 8/5 - San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:10 am 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
xsabers wrote:
Best moment of the night: PR's encore. They played music from '74, 89 and who can remember what other years (Festive Overture anyone?).

That would be 2001. :cool:

But '74 was first for them playing it. I was referring to the other pieces they played last night. I wasn't taking notes (even mental notes) but I remember they mentioned possibly '91 as a year that was represented??? Regardless, it was extremely entertaining that they performed such a nice concert (complete with introductions by one of the DM's) instead of just playing their show once again. I also liked the fact that the contra-basses brought out folding stools and sat in front of the arc.