95.775 Blue Devils
93.475 Bluecoats
90.125 Blue Knights
86.750 Glassmen
83.175 Crossmen
80.975 Cascades
80.600 Troopers
77.975 Mandarins

.025 ---- now this is close folks! Should be a very interesting Finals!!

Troopers are nipping on the heels of the Cascades for a spot in Semis...although Pacific Crest may likely beat both of them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:11 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

I saw both the Clovis and Stanford shows. Here are a couple of comments.

I think the Mandarins show is really cool.

Crossmen -- capes! The downside is that the best moment of their show occurs before the judging begins. Do they get GE points for making the audience gasp in warmups?

I loved the Blue Knights. Most of all I loved their deep, dark sound and the intensity of their music. But I also liked their body movement. It is extremely well integrated into their program and nearly flawlessly executed. TX has commented that body movement might be harder than conventional drill. At any rate, this was probably my favorite show (or maybe tied with SCV).

I also like the idea of a corps taking something like body movement and making it their signature. I wouldn't want to watch 20 shows like this just as I wouldn't want all corps to be like the Velvet Knights, Troopers, Phantom, or Mandarins. But I like watching different corps successfully attack shows with different philosophies.

Blue Devils vs. Cadets.
The Cadets have a distinct advantage in the power of their hornline. It took me about a minute to get used to the lower volume when the Blue Devils followed the Cadets last night. The Blue Devils guard is noticeably sloppy. (If I can tell, it must be glaring to anyone who actually knows anything about guards.) At Stanford and again at a pre-show run through before the Clovis show, there were several drops and tosses that required the performer to move several feet to catch the rifle/sabre/flag. The Clovis show seemed much cleaner, and maybe that is why BD was able to close the gap from Stanford to almost zero. Where I think BD has an advantage is in the difficulty of their program. I think (caveat: I am not the best judge of these things) that BD marches a harder drill and plays a harder book. Ultimately, I think that BD could still overtake the Cadets since they have more dirt to clean and a more difficult program to exploit. This one will go down to the wire.

On Choppiness:
Remember about five years ago when people were complaining that Wayne Downey's arrangements for BD were really choppy? They'd have a 20 seconds of this, a minute of that, and never really developed a full musical piece. About that time, the Cadets were playing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Malaguena, Rocky Point Holiday, and other drum corps classics. I think they have reversed roles now. The Cadets narration breaks up their music so that they rarely develop musical themes. They have a spectacular run here or an impact hit there, but it doesn't fit together as a coherent whole. The Blue Devils, on the other hand, have a spectacular opener and closer, both of which are long enough to develop themes and revisit those themes. I listen to the Cadets 2002 and 2003 programs a lot more than I listen to BD in those years; I think I'll listen to BD 2007 a lot more than this year's edition of the Cadets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

abalone wrote:

Crossmen -- capes! The downside is that the best moment of their show occurs before the judging begins. Do they get GE points for making the audience gasp in warmups?

I agree abalone....they should try to work the pre-show into the performance. I don't think the GE guys are judging until they are announced on the field.
I think the corps added the capes back to show everyone even though they are now located in Texas, they still remember and honor their history. I know us alumni sure are loving it!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:02 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Malibu wrote:
abalone wrote:

I agree abalone....they should try to work the pre-show into the performance. I don't think the GE guys are judging until they are announced on the field.
I think the corps added the capes back to show everyone even though they are now located in Texas, they still remember and honor their history. I know us alumni sure are loving it!

I saw capes, a snippet of Birdland, and a cross in the drill. What other references to their history did I miss? I'm sure there must have been more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am 
All Star
All Star

abalone wrote:
Malibu wrote:
abalone wrote:

I saw capes, a snippet of Birdland, and a cross in the drill. What other references to their history did I miss? I'm sure there must have been more.

First Circle references abound in the show. Also, the flags used in the show are a part of the history, not only utilizing the cross but butterfly images to go along with the meta theme. There is much more I think, but nothing off the top of my head. Here is a link to the arranger's site. He has an entire very detailed musical breakdown of the show.

http://www.yataforluda.com/

Profile E-mail