94.75 Colts (Ensemble #1)
(more... 21 ensembles total)

Not bad, Academy. :tup:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:09 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I could be wrong, but it seems that I&E isn't a big deal like it was in the past. I know even when I marched, some of our best players didn't do it mainly because of time. They told me they wanted to focus on our show. I give you an example, in '81 a 11 year old kid from Texas got 2nd place on Sop in I&E.......he played 3rd Sop in our corps. :shock:

I willing to bet this same kind of thing is happening in DCI today......not all of the best players are willing to compete.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:17 am 
All Star
All Star

You might be right. Even members of the Blue Devils B & C corps competed. Which, for them, is great experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:25 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
I could be wrong, but it seems that I&E isn't a big deal like it was in the past. I know even when I marched, some of our best players didn't do it mainly because of time. They told me they wanted to focus on our show. I give you an example, in '81 a 11 year old kid from Texas got 2nd place on Sop in I&E.......he played 3rd Sop in our corps. :shock:

I willing to bet this same kind of thing is happening in DCI today......not all of the best players are willing to compete.

I agree whole heartedly. Other than The Cavaliers and few BD percussionist, the top corps aren't represented at all: no Cadets, no Phantom, almost no SCV, Bluecoats, or Carolina Crown members. Only a handful Blue Knights and Boston Crusaders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

The whole concept seems a bit wierd to me personally. It seems strange that, after nearly a year of intense teamwork that is the essence of drum corps, one would take time out during Finals week for self-promotion. It might feel better to me if I&E were held after finals were over.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:29 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I thought it was interesting how a horn player from Boston Crusaders won the dance I&E. Not to take anything away from the winner, but I can't help to think about all the awesome guard members that are in Blue Devils, Crown and Cadets. They dance their butt's off!

I remember watching Robbie Robinson (snare champion from '79-'80) and Mark Thurston get up O' Dark early every morning the week of championships so they could prepare for the I&E. As we were eating breakfast, Robbie and Mark were drumming away while marching around the track.
When you think about it, the little down time you have you are either on the bus traveling, taking a shower, packing your stuff or waiting in line to eat. In order for members to be apart of I&E they have to make a commitment to their corps first then whatever time is left for themselves.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail