The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:50 am 
All Star
All Star

So they weren't performing a show for the fans? Was this some new-age self-therapy exercise for us to witness? Huh???!? (Actually, with GH that would not be too far fetched an idea.)

I stand by my assertion that the substance of the narration was trite at best. It was as if it had been directed at an elementary school audience who had never seen a field performance before. It was a marching See-N-Say ("The Cow says Moooo!" "The Trumpet goes brrrrrrt!").

This show would never have been given a chance in a million years unless I dropped about 70 points on the IQ test (kidding here...sort of. I do not mean to imply that those who liked this show rode the short bus to school). Crap is crap. You can dress it up and execute it really well and put it in a New York art gallery and have critics bless it every which way, but I ain't buying and I am not going to lie about it and say I think it's wonderful.

Start with a flawed concept (narration, narration as the foundation, especially corny narration) and it is difficult to have an end product that is anything more than the concept can support.

Not everything the Cadets do is bad, but not everything they do is wonderful and cutting edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:10 am 
All Star
All Star

xsabers wrote:
So they weren't performing a show for the fans? Was this some new-age self-therapy exercise for us to witness? Huh???!? (Actually, with GH that would not be too far fetched an idea.)

I stand by my assertion that the substance of the narration was trite at best. It was as if it had been directed at an elementary school audience who had never seen a field performance before. It was a marching See-N-Say ("The Cow says Moooo!" "The Trumpet goes brrrrrrt!").

This show would never have been given a chance in a million years unless I dropped about 70 points on the IQ test (kidding here...sort of. I do not mean to imply that those who liked this show rode the short bus to school). Crap is crap. You can dress it up and execute it really well and put it in a New York art gallery and have critics bless it every which way, but I ain't buying and I am not going to lie about it and say I think it's wonderful.

Start with a flawed concept (narration, narration as the foundation, especially corny narration) and it is difficult to have an end product that is anything more than the concept can support.

Not everything the Cadets do is bad, but not everything they do is wonderful and cutting edge.

You mean--there's long buses? I knew it! The teachers lied to me! :dunce: :wink:

I'm not saying that you should buy anything. What I am asking is that the opportunity to at least attempt something different be given. In matter of fact, you have inadvertently proven my point that preconceptions can influence how narration is perceived.

We may feel "talked down to" by the simplistic joy of just playing the trumpet. How cheesy, right? To be young and enthusiastic about discovering the things that are old hat to us for the first time. Doesn't that make us feel nostalgic? Tossing a rifle, playing a flamadiddle, learning to triple tongue?

See what I mean? What we consider trite may be very important to another person. Is it right to devalue a person, a director, or an entire corps based on a mere editorial critique?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:53 am 
All Star
All Star

The only things of which the value is questioned IMO are the ideas, ideals, and proposed direction that is being taken.

Look, I agree that there are good things, entertaining things, that are great (including narration), BUT, not all things (including narration) belong in a DCI show.

We all have our limits as to what we think drum corps is and what isn't...and they are all arbitrary to a degree (well, except 70 - 72 Garfield Mike who seems to think that 'anything goes' is the best strategy).

My imaginary conversation with GH:

Hopcutis of Borg: "Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been is over. From this time forward, you service us."

Capt' Jen-Luc 'Xsabers' Picard: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate countless worlds, and we fall back. Not again. Not this time. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"
:jedi:
(apologies for the mixed reference sci-fi emoticon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:04 am 
All Star
All Star

xsabers wrote:
The only things of which the value is questioned IMO are the ideas, ideals, and proposed direction that is being taken.

Look, I agree that there are good things, entertaining things, that are great (including narration), BUT, not all things (including narration) belong in a DCI show.

We all have our limits as to what we think drum corps is and what isn't...and they are all arbitrary to a degree (well, except 70 - 72 Garfield Mike who seems to think that 'anything goes' is the best strategy).

My imaginary conversation with GH:

Hopcutis of Borg: "Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been is over. From this time forward, you service us."

Capt' Jen-Luc 'Xsabers' Picard: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate countless worlds, and we fall back. Not again. Not this time. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"
:jedi:
(apologies for the mixed reference sci-fi emoticon)

AAARGH! You would have to use Star Trek logic on me!

I think it would be funnier if you were James "X" Kirk fighting for your drum corps ideals at the planet Genesis against your greatest archnemesis....HO-O-O-O-O-O-O-OP! ( a la Kha-a-a-a-a-an!)

Now that's pure cheese! :eat:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:21 pm 
All Star
All Star

Want to use a quote from Star Trek how about this one "To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before".........................Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm 
All Star
All Star

Blurae1 wrote:
Want to use a quote from Star Trek how about this one "To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before".........................Bill

...except, of course, BOA bands who have been doing this stuff for years. 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
...except, of course, BOA bands who have been doing this stuff for years.

Thank you!!!
It's not that it is bad to be a band... it's just that those formats already exist!

Robb
Blue Knights Mello 1996-1997
USMC 1997-2002 Semper Fi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Robb_D wrote:

Drum and Bugle Corps is just that: Drums, and Bugles.
If we change what we do to become what others do, then are we worthy of our own name?

Drum, Bugle, Dance, Choral, and Vocalization Corps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:29 am 
All Star
All Star

Robb_D wrote:
If we change what we do to become what others do, then are we worthy of our own name?

Drum Corps has been vastly more than just drums and bugles for a long time. The blood, sweat, and tears of those past and present on the field make drum corps worthy of its name--not instrumentation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:36 am 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
Robb_D wrote:

Drum Corps has been vastly more than just drums and bugles for a long time. The blood, sweat, and tears of those past and present on the field make drum corps worthy of its name--not instrumentation.

. . .and let's face it. If we had changed our name to what we really are, we would have left drum & bugle corps behind a long time ago.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

Tea, A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.......................

Sorry I couldn't help it.............Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yea, not tea.......Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:22 am 
All Star
All Star

http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hopblog

Scroll down to see Dave Shaw's comments about the Quarterfinals debacle. He makes some very good points. It should give all of us something to think about.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'm not surprised at the type of hatred going on. It has long since stopped being good natured fun & has long been too much about money. The more money involved, the more hatred involved.................Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10