Div I Finals

Post your impressions and opinions of shows and events, and report scores for use in our scores page

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Post Reply
User avatar
Jazzman
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1450
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:28 pm
Location: Vienna, WV

Div I Finals

Post by Jazzman » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:02 pm

1 Blue Devils 98.000
2 The Cadets 97.025
3 The Cavaliers 96.350
4 Phantom Regiment 94.850
5 Santa Clara Vanguard 94.175
6 Carolina Crown 94.150
7 Bluecoats 94.050
8 Blue Knights 90.275
9 Boston Crusaders 89.100
10 Colts 86.150
11 Glassmen 85.750
12 Spirit from JSU 84.500
Regards, Jazzman

TURKEY
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Urbana, IL

Post by TURKEY » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Congrats to the Blue Devils. I was surprised to see that the Cadets actually dropped in score, however. Can't wait to see the finals for myself to check it out.
Killer Tofu

User avatar
Jazzman
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1450
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:28 pm
Location: Vienna, WV

Post by Jazzman » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:16 pm

Congrats also to Carolina Crown for their highest ever placement!!

And also to the Colts for their first return to finals since 2001!!
Regards, Jazzman

User avatar
Hostrauser
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Poway, CA
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 am

Colts 2nd highest score ever.

First time in DCI history 7 corps scored 94 or above.

Bluecoats: highest 7th place score in DCI history (former: 1989 Madison Scouts - 93.6)
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

User avatar
Hostrauser
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Poway, CA
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:29 am

Oh yes, and the Troopers highest adjusted score since 1995.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

User avatar
SCVBaritone
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Milpitas, Ca

Post by SCVBaritone » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Colts 2nd highest score ever.

First time in DCI history 7 corps scored 94 or above.

Bluecoats: highest 7th place score in DCI history (former: 1989 Madison Scouts - 93.6)


I noticed the crowd reacted to score annoucements as well and my guess is, the judges for the most part enjoyed all the performances. I thought the placements were about right.........and it represented steps forward for SCV. I would also like to repeat what a friend said to me, if you consider how many title wins a corps has versus their years existence, it's not always about winning but putting forward the very best performance you can. How many shows have you seen that you enjoyed above and beyond the final winner. SCV's 1987 Russian Christmas scored a 97.8 and they placed 2nd, that show in my opinion was one SCV's greatest shows. As for Pasadena, all the corps that performed are all winners as far as I'm concerned. To peform at those levels of excellence and to place in the top ranks is truly a remarkable accomplishment something to be very proud of and also to build on for the next season.

Ben
1969,70 SCV Contra
1971 SCV Baritone
1971 Winter Guard Instructor
1964-68 San Leandro Royalaires
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008
SCV&BD Alumni Combined Corps 2007
SF Renegades 2009,2010,2012
2016-17 50th Anniversary SCV Alumni Corps

User avatar
LAMystreaux
All Star
All Star
Posts: 4374
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Leesville, LA

Post by LAMystreaux » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 pm

I question SCV's jump a little bit, if not for anything else, but their brass scores. As visually pleasing as that show was (and I really liked it), I thought their brass did not sell the show at all and at times were fairly weak. How did they jump almost an entire point in one night (semis to Finals)?
Just because your hate is masked by "free thinking" or being "open-minded" does not make it right.

User avatar
Seahawk
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

SCV peaked at the right time

Post by Seahawk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:48 am

TXMystreaux wrote:I question SCV's jump a little bit, if not for anything else, but their brass scores. As visually pleasing as that show was (and I really liked it), I thought their brass did not sell the show at all and at times were fairly weak. How did they jump almost an entire point in one night (semis to Finals)?


I think their jump in score was absolutely justifiable based on their performance. SCV had two fantastic shows at quarters and semis, but lost a little of the intensity on Saturday. Placement and scores were well-deserved. Congrats to SCV for finishing the season with such an intense flourish.
Martin

Blue Rock
Reading Buccaneers

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

WE ARE SPARTACI
All Star
All Star
Posts: 1859
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 1:54 pm
Contact:

Post by WE ARE SPARTACI » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:10 am

"My Favorites" from Pasadena
This has nothing to do with placements, but just a list of the shows I found most enjoyable.

Troopers (duh!)
Phantom Regiment
Vanguard
Crown (best 9 minutes of the night. Drops a couple of spots due to the unneeded on-field commentary)
Blue Devils (clean is as clean does)
Kingsmen
Blue Knights
Crossmen
Scouts
Blue Stars
Glassmen

Best on field warmups (Traditional or "Turn Around and Play it LOUD" Category):
Troopers (Battle Hymn Chorale)
Spirit (Georgia on My Mind)

Best on field warmups (Non-Traditional or "Is This Part of the Show" Category):
Crossmen (Capes, baby)
Glassmen

User avatar
LAMystreaux
All Star
All Star
Posts: 4374
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Leesville, LA

Re: SCV peaked at the right time

Post by LAMystreaux » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 am

Seahawk wrote:
TXMystreaux wrote:I question SCV's jump a little bit, if not for anything else, but their brass scores. As visually pleasing as that show was (and I really liked it), I thought their brass did not sell the show at all and at times were fairly weak. How did they jump almost an entire point in one night (semis to Finals)?


I think their jump in score was absolutely justifiable based on their performance. SCV had two fantastic shows at quarters and semis, but lost a little of the intensity on Saturday. Placement and scores were well-deserved. Congrats to SCV for finishing the season with such an intense flourish.



Bu that is exactly my point. Even you admit noticing a drop on Saturday with their show, yet their brass score jumped 18.6 to 19.4 in one night. It just seems odd to me. I definitely did not see the hornline as a strength of theirs.
Just because your hate is masked by "free thinking" or being "open-minded" does not make it right.

User avatar
abalone
Soloist
Soloist
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:01 am
Location: the delta

Post by abalone » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:16 pm

SCVBaritone wrote:How many shows have you seen that you enjoyed above and beyond the final winner. SCV's 1987 Russian Christmas scored a 97.8 and they placed 2nd, that show in my opinion was one SCV's greatest shows.
Ben[/b][/i]


BD may have won 12 titles, but their best year musically was 1988, a third place finish.
"Sounds like a bunch 'abalone' to me." --Brian T.

User avatar
Hostrauser
All Star
All Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Poway, CA
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:03 am

abalone wrote:
SCVBaritone wrote:How many shows have you seen that you enjoyed above and beyond the final winner. SCV's 1987 Russian Christmas scored a 97.8 and they placed 2nd, that show in my opinion was one SCV's greatest shows.
Ben[/b][/i]


BD may have won 12 titles, but their best year musically was 1988, a third place finish.

I don't know if I'd go that far. BD was pretty darn good musically in 1976, 1986, 1994 and 1997, all Championship shows.

But their best brass line may have been in either 1991 (5th) or 1993 (4th).
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

Post Reply