2. Cadets - 77.2
1. Cavaliers - 79.5

Review below.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Madison 6/28 Review
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Kilties - nice to see them continue to grow in numbers and produce a big, loud sound.

MN Brass - great selection of material (Nuttville, Wrapped Around Your Finger) - good arrangements. Petered about towards the end. As usual, impressive battery.

Colt Cadets - still early, but needs some horn section work. Last year's show knocked my socks off, now they just have to adjust to having marching percussion, more than 2 or 3 keyboards, and a larger corps in general. Growing pains - they'll get over 'em.

Racine Scouts - 1 tenor and 1 snare on the field. Ever the little corps that could...

Revolution - or "The Case of The Missing Drumline" Leave it to Mr. Crocker to ease the tension with a well-placed rousing introduction to the tardy drumline. (By a good 5 min.!)

Pioneer - Playing better than last few years - most definitely. It's so hard when some corps live or die by certain things. You see some corps change things up & try new things - some with success, some not. I just wonder what Pioneer would do if they gave up the Celtic theme for one season - what would we get? Would they perk up some more ears or make us want them to go back to the Irish tunes? Some gotta play it safe, some can be chameleons...

Troopers - Solid return effort. It's always good to see a corps return strong than when they left. Enjoyable - one of my faves from them.

The Madison Scouts' show displays some corps evolution (better than last year - more cohesive unit). The show's material within their grasp and though it's early in the season, they give the impression of having it well in hand. They'll get better at it and all of the flare & attitude that makes this show fun will be icing on the cake. I would have expected both the Troopers & Madison to place higher. Really liking their new uniforms and seeing some TERRIFIC marching - really nice moves.

The Crossmen and Glassmen have some entertaining moments and performance highlights - overall, okay shows that will need a season of working and reworking to remain in competition for a spot in the finals (the Crossmen moreso than the Glassmen).

I'm anticipating the Blue Stars to grab 12th or just above. They're very confident in their material. Blue Stars' guard had some beautiful interplay with the corps (it's always nice when it comes to that point in the night when the visual elements weave together and make beautiful music together <- no pun intended). The guard & their continued excellence in drill (really sharp!) makes up for the times when they're perhaps a bit too slow and quiet.

(You'll have put up with me - I know it's early on in a late-starting season, and I don't see it as sign of weakness in the corps at all, but the shows on average that I saw tonight were quieter and a bit on the dirge-y side - not like what I'd seen in recent years. I do think in some cases (few) that these passages will benefit from rewritten drill (usually does).

Spirit - nice start to the program (I was probably expecting something more like last year's great show), but the energy fizzles. I can see them working on it and getting this show in contending form. I WANT them to put their show through its paces and fine-tune it - this corps' also going through a beautiful evolution and gaining its own unique identity as they go. They just need to mold this show into finer form.

Blue Knights - I know this corps strong suit is emphasizing dance & movement over marching. But this show starts out WAY too quiet. Twice. This show is lost on me (and what felt like most of the crowd). There don't seem to be any moments that rise above a medium intensity/medium difficulty. It doesn't "pop off of the field" and grab the spectators attention. It happens and it's over. They're scoring low and I only hope that they take it upon themselves to keep adding and building more to this show to make it stand out from the rest. Lastly, is their color guard headed to a sleepover? They're wearing white cotton tops and pants! Yikes!)

Bluecoats - I don't think this corps relies to heavily on things like narration and acting - but those elements that help create The Boxer's story don't make it that entertaining of a story. It's simple and it doesn't add to the corps music or program overall, IMO. The guard's outfits are obvious choices (boxing practice gear) and their implements (punching bags) are interesting. The boxers' movements do little for me - they alternate between sparring tough and then exectuing color guard moves - the dichotomy puts me off a tad. Wasn't as impressed by their book as I was in more recent years.

Boston - Well-arranged and already hitting the crowd with some powerfully performed moments - they're contending for a higher position in the lower third to lower half of the Top 12 and it shows that they're not content to let others claw their way into their competitive range. Excited to see where this show takes them this year. Also - the guard looks like their wearing guard outfits! (not pajamas or exercise gear.)

Cavaliers - not one of my favorite shows by them. But they'll juice up the heck out of this shows with drill. Already showing some fight (drill-wise). A bit slower and more atmospheric at times (in terms of music), the Cavaliers are stretching their playing muscles and trying new things and setting a tone that will become more concrete as the season progresses. This show's for some people, and not for others. I'm liking it, though.

Carolina Crown - ROBBED!!!!!!!! What an incredible show. Crown is at the forefront in terms of having the corps that defines what it means to march in 2008 - they're constantly moving, dancing, posing, scrambling and playing with such precision and so impressively all the while. It's baffling that they're scoring as low as their are right now. Carolina does such a great job of playing at a high caliber at such an early point in the season. Best of luck - keep working hard and let's hope they can get up above Top 5!

Cadets - can it be considered cheating if the corps is playing that well but only three-fourths of the time (if that)? Not only do they continue to hit you over the head with a horribly-constructed story, but now they've put it mid-field, with no cohesive ending and it also breaks up the show terribly. If The Cadets want to produce a crappy high-school play. There've got to be plenty of stages around Allentown. At least the Cadets played shows with confusing narratives over top of them in recent years. This year the confusion takes center stage, disrupts the corps' show and doesn't please anyone. GIVE IT A REST AND PUT ON A SHOW. It's to the players' detriments to hold them as second-rate entertainment on the field.

That's all I got. You can read less rambling in the gen. discussion.

Best to you all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Madison 6/28 Review
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:06 am 
All Star
All Star

Chadams wrote:
Cadets - Not only do they continue to hit you over the head with a horribly-constructed story, but now they've put it mid-field, with no cohesive ending and it also breaks up the show terribly. all.

Actually, you may not like it (I think it needs a lot of work, too) but the ending is very cohesive. The corps makes the Garfield G that turns into a happy face, and with the narration it ends with the snap whereas in the beginning of the show the character says "Sometimes I wish I could just snap my fingers and. . . ."

It needs a lot of work and will probably get changed altogether.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:17 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Chadams wrote:

Revolution - or "The Case of The Missing Drumline" Leave it to Mr. Crocker to ease the tension with a well-placed rousing introduction to the tardy drumline. (By a good 5 min.!)

So the drumline wasnt on the field for the first HALF of the show? Someone better have gotten fired for that mistake! WOW!

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:32 am 
Soloist
Soloist

A couple of things that jumped out at me:

Troopers - a very fan friendly show, easy to grasp and follow. The guard is almost non-existent. Only 12 members? Nothing distinguishes or jumps out. Practically invisible on the field.

Madison- I'm a big fan - but agree, nothing really grabbed me....

Glassmen - another fan friendly offering - not sure I would want to push/pull/move the trunks around all the time. Could be an issue on a high grass/pothole field.

Blue Stars - can't remember when I enjoyed a Blue Stars show so much.

Bluecoats - Did I miss something? I didn't hear any narration. Talking to the guy behind me who saw the show in Normal, the narration is not bad.

Boston - Another really enjoyable show.

Crown - loved it, loved it, loved it. For the crowd, huge WOW moments.

Cadets - with the amp problems with Bluecoats, only one wiht narration. As they were setting up and heating the "test 1 - 2", my brother looked over and went - "uh-oh". It's been a while since he's seen a show (he asked when Pioneer moved up in class :lol: ). The opening narration WAS right over the top of the only music in their current show that I recognize - but that's just me. While the ending may work, I (and I'm only one person) prefer a powerful, in-your-face, ending.

The rain DID hold off. Checking radar during the show (gotta love those crack-berry phones), it looked like a storm was heading straight for Madison but just stopped........

Don't cry because it's over.
SMILE because it's happened!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
Chadams wrote:

So the drumline wasnt on the field for the first HALF of the show? Someone better have gotten fired for that mistake! WOW!

No, either the brass/guard were early to the field, or the drumline was late, but they were there for the entire show.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

Old Mike wrote:
The opening narration WAS right over the top of the only music in their current show that I recognize - but that's just me. While the ending may work, I (and I'm only one person) prefer a powerful, in-your-face, ending.

I completely agree.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

Did anyone notice if Crown's show was any shorter, time-wise, than the others?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:25 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks for the reviews guys!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:47 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

No - not during the show, beforehand. (Sorry - I didn't clarify that.) The horns stood at ready for near 5 minutes before the drumline came out to the field. Don't know if it was a late bus or they forgot how to get to the field from where they were rehearsing.

TX - I'm with you - I liked the ending drill (the G to the smiley face) - that was real nice. The storyline doesn't come back to address the breast cancer that was important enough to mention at the beginning. That's what I meant in terms of a lack of resolution. The corps resolves their part of the program as best they can (which is quite well), but the story hasn't.

I'm really wishing the Cadets don't decide to wait until finals to put the ending on it that the story needs. I know they like to do that, but I think that's to the dismay of the audiences that see the show all season before finals. It feels like a slight in some ways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

Chadams wrote:
Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

No - not during the show, beforehand. (Sorry - I didn't clarify that.) The horns stood at ready for near 5 minutes before the drumline came out to the field. Don't know if it was a late bus or they forgot how to get to the field from where they were rehearsing.

TX - I'm with you - I liked the ending drill (the G to the smiley face) - that was real nice. The storyline doesn't come back to address the breast cancer that was important enough to mention at the beginning. That's what I meant in terms of a lack of resolution. The corps resolves their part of the program as best they can (which is quite well), but the story hasn't.

I'm really wishing the Cadets don't decide to wait until finals to put the ending on it that the story needs. I know they like to do that, but I think that's to the dismay of the audiences that see the show all season before finals. It feels like a slight in some ways.

I know this sounds drastic, but I wish they would scrap the stage and the talking, rework the visual a bit without being hampered by a stage, and fill in the parts where there used to be talking with some nice transitional phrases of music. I think they could easily contend and win the crowd if they did that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
I know this sounds drastic, but I wish they would scrap the stage and the talking, rework the visual a bit without being hampered by a stage, and fill in the parts where there used to be talking with some nice transitional phrases of music. I think they could easily contend and win the crowd if they did that.

HALLELUJAH AMEN!
:clap2:
See Luke 15: 4-7

A member of the choir enjoying being preached to... :shades:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:12 pm 
All Star
All Star

NOBAMA NOHOPPY, 1 down... wrote:
TXMystreaux wrote:

HALLELUJAH AMEN!
:clap2:
See Luke 15: 4-7

A member of the choir enjoying being preached to... :shades:

For the record, I am not against narration. I am not in favor of their use of it though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:36 pm 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
For the record, I am not against narration. I am not in favor of their use of it though.

Ahahaha! This reminds me of "I support the troops, but not the war," or "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, but gay marriage is perfectly okay!"
:ot:
Okay, okay, I'll get back on topic now. :shs: I mean, I take it to mean that you don't like how they use it in THIS particular show, it just sounded funny the way you said it.
:cheers:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:34 pm 
All Star
All Star

For the record, I am not against narration either...just narration in drum corps.

On another note, there was a question asked about why people want to march Cadets given the controversy over the last several years. There were the typical responses given about the quality of the program and quality of instruction, etc. Perhaps even having a chance at a ring. But most people I know that have actually marched put making the crowd go crazy right at the top of their list of memories. So the questions is; are the 2008 Cadets being robbed of this potential memory by their design team?

The window of opportunity for members to participate is limited. Such a shame to continuously make them lab rats in the great experiment. Can't wait to see what 2009 brings... :roll: