All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vista CA Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:16 am 
All Star
All Star

Scores and Random Open Class Thoughts

6th - 56.8
Mystikal

Mystikal wins the prize for making the most with the least. 21 percussion and maybe 7 brass! They played music from the band Spock's Beard which was a cool and interesting direction.

With 5.5 corps from the LA area (counting here; Impulse, Mystikal, Gold, VK, Yamoto, Incognito), perhaps they should combine resources and come out with some better numbers. Pacific Crest is not far away either.

5th - 57.1
Incognito
Missed them due to buying my son an Academy jersey. Sorry kids.

4th - 62.0 - Gold

3rd - 63.0 - Impulse

2nd - 64.4 - Yamoto

1st - 67.5 - VK
TOO COOL! THRILLER dance moves with the brass and CG was funny. Nice to see the red Converse.

Scores and Random World Class Thoughts

5th - 70.6 - Academy
Brass book seems technical, but LOTS of timing issues in many (most) of the staccato runs. Some poor attacks, but mostly a nice sound especially when parked. I assume that the timing issues will be resolved and may not have been an issue at other shows. Visually, they have problems. I could read what they were trying to do but there was a lot of visual dirt. Even so, I can't say that simply cleaning will be sufficient. They gave a full point to PC in visual. The spread might have been more if other corps in that scoring range were at the show. Props to Academy - NO AMPS! And I could hear the pit just fine, thank you.

4th - 72.6 - Pacific Crest
Visual package was a step up in design and execution over Academy. Their musical book seems less demanding than Academy. Academy bested PC in music even with the problems they had at times. This battle should continue throughout the season, but I see PC staying on top in the end just because their show seems to have more room for growth.

3rd - 81.4 - SCV
Ok, I love this show!. The opening set is a simple wedge, but is so crisp and sharp, it grabs your attention. This show is 100% SCV. The muted sops in the opener just tease the audience up to the first impact point. The show seems difficult and there are a ton of SCV drill moves that satisfy the audience' sense of tradition. This was only the second time for SCV to perform their closer. Right now, it is the weak link. You have 75% of eye popping, ear blistering pure drum corps which then, by comparison, just peters out. It's not a traditional soft ending; just not as dynamic as the rest of the program. This will easily be one of my favorites this season.

2nd - 81.5 - Phantom Regiment
I remember Gail Royer once described 1987 SCV as being what he believed represented the very best about the drum corps activity. 2008 Phantom achieves the same level of reverence IMO. It is beautiful, breathtaking, drum corps theater. There is so much going on but this program is more connected than most others. I will need several viewings (on DVD I'm afraid) before I can begin to fully appreciate this show. The guard added so much to the program (hey, women in togas - 'nuff said). The battle between the slaves and the drum line was epic. Best soloist of the night. And for all the talk about hypocritical Phans and Phantom's "narration' there is none. Unless you count the unmic'ed phrase "I AM SPARTACUS" to be narration. This show is my 2007 Carolina Crown show. I really can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it.

I AM SPARTACUS!

1st - 83.7 - Blue Devils
This is just getting silly. This corps is so loose and confident that they can just go out and perform the heck out of the difficult show. Drum line gets a lot of my attention. They are playing a crazy book with lots of added difficulty with body movement and drill. Brass is clean and technical (go figure). Drill has some great moments, although not as demanding as SCV. Drum set player in the pit was great, but amplification made it sound weird against the battery in a back & forth portion. Pit amplification was too loud during soft sections. When the brass lays it out, pit is lost. Not much you can do with a small speaker array compared to all that brass power. Some funny moments in this show. Drum line doing their stiff leg wobble while playing exposed parts - lots of difficulty - lots of execution. I like this show...might love it later on. I am not sure they are a full point ahead of Phantom visually, but the BD guard is, as usual, awesome. White plumes are a different look.

Any of the top 3 shows could have won tonight and I would have been happy. SCV, as usual, has the best sounding drums. Whatever they due to tune the snares so they sound like snares instead of Formica, makes a difference. Phantom's sound was almost as sweet.

If tonight is any indication, there are some great things happening in DCI.

Sincerely,
SPARTACUS

Post subject: Re: Vista CA Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 am 
All Star
All Star

NOBAMA NOHOPPY, 1 down... wrote:
1st - 67.5 - VK
TOO COOL! THRILLER dance moves with the brass and CG was funny. Nice to see the red Converse.

Wow, even VK copies marching bands. :)

Thanks for the review.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I dont think that VK doing the thriller dance constitutes copying a marching band. I think the fact that VK, marching bands and whoever else knows does the thriller dance is copying Michael Jackson...

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
I dont think that VK doing the thriller dance constitutes copying a marching band. I think the fact that VK, marching bands and whoever else knows does the thriller dance is copying Michael Jackson...

Right. To prove it, here is a clip from VK's show...