Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belated Beverly Review
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Just returned to work after a week of vacation and thought I would post some thoughts on the Beverly show.

Sorry Teal Sound fans....due to a parking debacle I missed your show.

Jersey Surf----Very enjoyable show to watch...this corps has obviously outgrown the Open Class. I liked their performance and I think they probably had one of the biggest hornlines of the night.

Raiders----Good little corps with a nice overall package. They did a nice job of entertaining the crowd.

Citations---Tremendous growth from years past. Although I have a couple of my marching band kids in their drumline, I have to say that in my opinion, the Citations guard is the strongest section of the corps. In fact, their guard was performing at a World Class level throughout much of the show.....love those Razor silks!!! Also of note was a very solid marching technique and stage presence from the hornline. A nice product overall!

Spartans----As someone who was involved with BAC in 1983 when they went out with 51 total members, I have the greatest respect for what the Spartans are trying to do. My only suggestion for the corps is to take a second look at the pit placement. (on the field in three clumps) I know you're trying to shrink the stage a bit due to numbers, but it still seemed too congested to me, limited some of the effect of the hornline. The concept is good---maybe just spread out the clumps a bit the give the brass more working space. I think they'll be fine come August.

Crossmen---I liked this show...much more than 07. The music was recognizable much of the time, albeit contemporary arrangements. I liked the guard costuming and silk choices. They march MUCH better this year than last, and their field presence has improved greatly over last season. My second favorite corps of the night.

Boston---Well, I won't insult the regulars here by pretending to be unbiased. But, I will say that the audience really digs the show-----from the opening hit in 2001 to some crazy drill in Kingfishers to the now famous Burly Brawl. I like tha ballad as well, but it is not what you'd expect from Moondance. The color guard had lots of drops on this night, but I was happy to see them redeem themslves the next night in Nashua. The airblades are PERFECT for the NEOCOSMOS show, and there's no downside to playing Conquest with 72 horns at the end of the show. I really like the show this year, and one reason is that alot of folks who aren't BAC fans seem to be in love with it as well. After last season's management and staff changes and given how young this corps is, this bodes well for the future.

Cadets---An extremely talented drum corps being let down by its design team. This corps will be deprived of top three this year due to a non-melodic show and an inane theme. All sections performed well and the audience response was tepid at best. I am NOT anti-narration....I loved the Bluecoats last year....but this talk track is condescending and patronizing and frankly quite cynical in its intent to deliver an important message in lieu of entertainment. I am not angry at the Cadets---just disappointed---they will be my hot dog corps in Allentown.

That's about it....the audience seemed to love BAC and Crossmen. I didn't hear any booing (thankfully) aimed at the Cadets....just alot of folks either not clapping or "golf-clapping". I would say that Surf, Citations, and Spartans all got more reaction from the audience that did the Cadets.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Belated Beverly Review
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

craiga wrote:
"golf-clapping"

I've never heard this expression. What does that mean? Is that to say quietly clapping as if wearing gloves?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:54 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

:) I guess I should have just said "clapping quietly and without much enthusiasm"....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:59 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Interesting review, I just got back from watching the Southwest Championship in San Antonio. First of all, you're right about the crossmen, much improvement over last year and they even made it into finals for the first time in 5 or so years in SA. The Boston Crusaders didn't quite have as good a performance as you describe in San Antonio. I take that back, the closer was good. But what I really wanted to discuss was THE CADETS. The past few years it seems like they're really trying to take a philosophical approach to all of their repertoires you know? really trying to make the audience think... But they seem to be falling flat on their faces (literally, 3 falls in SA, dropped to 5th). I also am not "anti-narration." I just think they could use it a lot more effectively.... and in the process maybe they could lose the "cheesy" factor if ya know what I mean???

Thanks for your review.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:37 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

When I saw Cadets here a few weeks ago, I thought their show could do much better with out the narration or the stage prop on the field. It's so big and takes up so much room. To me it was an eye sore and a distraction. Save it for indoor guard or percussion but not for the field.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail