Woohoo...a show in Malibu's backyard! :D

World Class
Cadets 83.95
Carolina Crown 82.60
Boston Crusaders 77.15
Crossmen 72.00

Open Class
Teal Sound 69.90

For now, all I'm going to say is Crown should have won this show! I truly think Cadets having the prop on the field is a distraction and really has nothing to do with what else is going on, on the field.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:18 pm 
All Star
All Star

Is it me, or has Boston been kind of stuck in neutral?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Their number does seem to have stagnated at a 77 point something over the last several shows, but the corps seems unfazed. They know they still have a bunch of cleaning to do and the staff is also planning some enhancements. This season so far has been all about playing to the audience. I think if you asked the kids would you rather come in 4th with a less audience-friendly show or 7th or 8th with what they have been getting from the fans, the choice would be a no-brainer.

I am curious, however, about what Ms. Malibu thought of BAC. (No living room furnishings or divisive social issues or life-threatening diseases, etc)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I really liked BAC show. They play just enough of Conquest at the end to make it taste full and not over done. It was my 2nd best show for the night. I know Cadets show is more technically difficult, but to be honest they don't play anything that you can remember the next day....unlike Crown or BAC.
One guys comment behind me about BAC's guard was, "they are too busy, almost scary. looking." I thought they had a good book and liked the use of their red flag and definitely liked the form the guard was in just before their big ensemble block move. That was a hot moment for them.
The hornline was playing with some nice control.
As with most corps, they do have some feet problems in some segments but it will be cleaned up over time.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I only saw Cadets on fan network. I think they are performing quite well for this early in the year. I notice one thing in particular. I believe that their drill doesn't have as much movement as in the days of George Zingali. This is not a put down. I keep wondering if George was still around, how much more movement there would be in their show. Maybe if he was still alive and their drill designer, he would convince them to leave out narration and rely more on visual design. What do you think?

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm 
All Star
All Star

cavies79 wrote:
I only saw Cadets on fan network. I think they are performing quite well for this early in the year. I notice one thing in particular. I believe that their drill doesn't have as much movement as in the days of George Zingali. This is not a put down. I keep wondering if George was still around, how much more movement there would be in their show. Maybe if he was still alive and their drill designer, he would convince them to leave out narration and rely more on visual design. What do you think?

I think he is sorely missed. I generally like what Sacktig does, but you're right, it would be interesting to see the difference if Zingali were still alive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:19 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yes Sacktig does a nice job, but I keep thinking that George would have them even faster. I would probably hurt my neck watching them. I remember his 91 drill for Star. I got dizzy just watching them move...lol.

Hey I like your new handle. We miss you in Texas. Are you from Louisiana?

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

I think he is sorely missed. I generally like what Sacktig does, but you're right, it would be interesting to see the difference if Zingali were still alive.

Agreed again (twice in one day; imagine that!). Some of my fondest memories of being a drum corps fan were those assaults on my senses by those early '80s Garfield Cadet corps. I would be weak when they were through. They just kept coming at me. They took my breath away. What made them all the more cool was that it was watching the rebirth of a corps with a long, storied history. I really was a big fan.

About the only parallel I can think of today with those marching programs is Crown's brass program over the past two or three years. Again, something new out of a corner of the drum corps world where I wasn't expecting it. Again, a sense of freshness and a relentless assault on my senses. And again, I've become a big fan.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

cavies79 wrote:
Yes Sacktig does a nice job, but I keep thinking that George would have them even faster. I would probably hurt my neck watching them. I remember his 91 drill for Star. I got dizzy just watching them move...lol.

Thanks. Yes, I have moved back home, so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

Isn't Leesville near Ft. Polk?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:34 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

It pretty much is Ft. Polk. It is all one big community so to speak. How Ft. Polk goes, Leesville goes. They are supposedly bringing in more troops here in the coming year, which everyone is happy about.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:17 pm 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

It pretty much is Ft. Polk. It is all one big community so to speak. How Ft. Polk goes, Leesville goes. They are supposedly bringing in more troops here in the coming year, which everyone is happy about.

I thought I recognized the city's name! I was stationed at Fort Polk for basic training in the summer of 1971. Hope your air conditioning is good. It's HOT down there!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

I thought I recognized the city's name! I was stationed at Fort Polk for basic training in the summer of 1971. Hope your air conditioning is good. It's HOT down there!

We moved back here when I was 6 in 1980. I lived the first years of my life in Temple, TX. My wife got a job out at Ft. Polk (social work job). Man, the base is big and really nice. People can say what they want about our government, but they do take care of the military and their families.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 am 
Veteran
Veteran

LAMystreaux wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
cavies79 wrote:

We moved back here when I was 6 in 1980. I lived the first years of my life in Temple, TX. My wife got a job out at Ft. Polk (social work job). Man, the base is big and really nice. People can say what they want about our government, but they do take care of the military and their families.

Unfortunately, while the military tries it's best to take care of the troops, quality of life varies widely between branches of the service. The USAF spends WAY more money than any other service on quality of life and it shows. The other services should do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:52 am 
All Star
All Star

Jazzycat1 wrote:
Unfortunately, while the military tries it's best to take care of the troops, quality of life varies widely between branches of the service. The USAF spends WAY more money than any other service on quality of life and it shows. The other services should do the same.

The Air Force has decided that the amenities of life for it's service members and their families are not worth cutting back. That choice has been made at the (further) expense of their equipment readiness and capability. They've been made to do more with less for years now; this is just one of the hard choices they've had to make.

In addition, it's been my experience (and that of a couple of my team mates who served in the AF before becoming soldiers) that while the facilities are often (not always) more modern/up-to-date, the personal attention we get far exceeds that given to airmen. By that I mean only that there are people within the Army system that will help you to access the things you need, whether you know the system or not. In the AF, if you don't know the system, you're SOL.

All of this is a gross generalization, but it's as true as I can make it in 200 words or less. ^_^;

Profile E-mail