2) 86.620 = Cavaliers
3) 84.350 = Phantom Regiment
4) 82.750 = Santa Clara Vanguard
5) 80.000 = Blue Knights
6) 73.475 = Madison Scouts
7) 73.250 = Troopers
8) 69.120 = Mandarins

Overall Impressions:
1. Background = I have been a fan of drum corps since 1993. I have been to all but two Drums Along the Rockies since then and I have seen most of the finals since 1988 on TV (2004 live in Denver). I was active in my HS marching band, but never marched in a corps. Last night, I sat on the Club Level (2nd tier of the standium) around the 35 yard line.

2. Venue = This is a fantastic stadium for drum corps. The acoustics are great. The stands are open and steep, so there are a lot of great seats. The sound system was not working on our level, so all that I could hear from the anouncer was the echos for the other level. After the first couple of words, I could not understand a thing. Oh well, at least I was not there to listen to the anouncer.

3. Crowd = The crowd was much improved from last year. They were actively into most of the shows and very polite (no boos).

4. Pre-Show = The pre-show corps (High Country Brass of Denver) was...um...OK? They seem to very new and were struggling. They had a good sound when standing, but there feet were all over the place. I was suprised they could play together as well as they did once I started watching their feet. The national athem was performed by a solo trumpet and was very good.

5. Trends = I love watching for new trends. It looks like this years is to build forms two or three people at a time. There were several corps that used this effect.

Now on to the review,

Reviews:
1. Mandarins - "River" - 69.120 - Placement = 8th (Actual) / 8th (My Guess) / 7th (My Favorites)

Great show. Controled balanced sound; strong brass, percussion, and guard. Their new uniforms looked great and the guard uniforms worked well. I felt this was a solid show and well performed.

2. Troopers – “Iron Horse Express” – 73.250 – Placement = 7th(A)/7th(G)/6th(F)

Fantastic! This was a great show that really go the crowd going. It was a good balance of goofiness and serious performance. They were really able to pull off the comedy, which is so hard to do right. Very strong and confident sound and a solid visual package. I agree with the judges having them neck and neck with Madison.

3. Madison Scouts – “La Noche de la Iguana” – 73.475 – Placement = 6th(A)/6th(G)/8th(F)

A fair performance by Madison. Their showed seemed to call for some hot passion and I felt a little cold. Their performance was strong. The brass was very clean and there were some great visual moments. I just didn't get the crazy energy that I'm used to from Madison. Their new uniforms were almost the same color as the grass which made their torsos almost disappear. It did allow from some neat effects with the white hats, but some of the forms were hard to read. They were certainly cleaner than Troopers, but did not have the same GE impact or energy.

4. Cavaliers - "Samurai" - 86.620 - Placement = 2nd(A)/2nd(G)/2nd(F)

Holy cow! These guys are crazy good. (I'm not sure who decided the performance order, but this was a great way to end the first half). The guard was fantastic and there was some flat out crazy drill. One spot that actually made me say "Oh Wow!" involved one line of brass running towards another. At the last minute the second line knelt down and the first line leapt over them. As soon as they landed, they were right in form and ready to play. The show was great, but they still have room for cleaning that can move the show from great to fantastic.

INTERMISSION

5. Phantom Regiment - "Spartacus" - 84.350 - Placement = 3rd(A)/3rd(G)/3rd(F)

What an entrance. Part of the corps marched in like Roman soldiers with the drum major was rolled in on the podium like he was an emperor. The rest of the corps came in dragging the guard in by chains. They were loaded down with their equipment, but it looked like they were being forced to haul stuff by the brass. By the time the show started, it actually got to be a little disturbing to have the brass pantomime beating the guard for so long. Also, during the show there was some fairly graphic "killing" of the guard (slit throughts, stabbing, etc.) that I could have done without.

Aside from the "killing", this was a great show. They had the best sound of the night, by far. Their shound is so pure and completely blended. It almost sounds like an organ because there was never an individual or section that stuck out. They were squeky clean in the brass and they were very clean visually. The show is definitly a production with quite an extensive story. They really performed the heck of the show. (One last thought, they could work on their "I AM SPARTACUS!". When that started, everyone around was asking "What did they say?", "I think it was 'Long Live Spartacus?", etc.).

6. Santa Clara Vanguard - "3hree" - 82.750 - Placement = 4th(A)/4th(G)/4th(F)

Very tough show. The visual and music are both very challenging, but it will also be a tough show to connect with the crowd. If anyone can do it, though, it's Vanguard. I really admire how they seem to go for the tough shows and just perform the heck out of them. They have a lot of cleaning to do, but if they can get it clean, look out. Personnaly, I loved it and think the show will grow on me over time. Their guard had a wonderfully unique look this year. Somehow, their body movement and dance was a differnt style of choreography that I don't remember seeing before. They do a good job of carrying the three theme throughout the show.

7. Blue Devils - "Constantly Risking Absurdity" - 87.150 - Placement = 1st (A)/1st (G)/1st (F)

Holy smokes! That was insane! I think right now, this is the show to beat. It was high energy, high quality, got the crowd going, and was performed great. They had some great effects using the yard lines as tight ropes. There was one portion where the sopranoes were balanced on the yard line with one foot out playing with only one hand. The tenor feature in the opener is crazy. The guard are carrying the tenors and form a circle around the drummers. They then lifted the drums up and ran around in a circle. The drummers stayed still in the middle and played on each each drum as it ran by. Hard to explain, but very cool to watch.

They also seems to skip over the whole jazz run idea and go right to sprinting. They would flat out sprint around the field, stop on a dime in perfect form, and be able to play increadibly well. When they entered I thought I needed sunglass, the guard uniforms are so bright! Somehow, it works perfectly once the show gets going. There were also many parts of the show where a brass member would suddenly run out of form or start tight rope walking the yard line before rejoining the form. (Also, if you see the show keep an eye out for the stick figure (on the field, in the forms, and by the guard).) Great fun!!

8. Blue Knights - "Knight Reign" - 80.000 - Placement = 5th (A)/5th (G)/5th (F)

These guys had a tough act to follow and I think it hurt them a little. The hometown crowd really cheared for them before the show, but seemed a little detached during some of the performance. I feel the show has a very risky opening. It starts with a solo of Amazing Grace, not quite in the key I was used to hearing, and a long segment of body movement with very little music. I think it they can clean it up and pull it off it will work, but very risky. Their performance felt a little shakey. Almost like they could have done better, but let their nerves get to them. When they performed the encore performance, they sounded much stronger and more confident. I think I may have just caught them on an off night, or I just didn't quite connect to the show.

As I said, I think the Blue Devils are the ones to beat, but they are by no means unreachable. I think if these shows get clean, it will be a very close year at the top. All in all a great night of drum corps. Thanks to all the corps for an entertaining night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

The National Anthem was performed by Andy Smart. Local guy, former marching member of the Blue Knights, former original Blast! Cast Member and current Blue Knights Brass Caption Head.

Great guy, and great player! Won I&E at least once.

Robb
Blue Knights Mello 1996-1997
USMC 1997-2002 Semper Fi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Robb_D wrote:
The National Anthem was performed by Andy Smart. Local guy, former marching member of the Blue Knights, former original Blast! Cast Member and current Blue Knights Brass Caption Head.

Thanks for the info. You must have been in the part of the stadium that could understand the announcer. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:22 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Did Andy HAVE to take a three second break between phrases though?

I refer back to whoever posted about "It's not about YOU, It's about the National Anthem!"

But he did have a nice tone quality!

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info. You must have been in the part of the stadium that could understand the announcer.

Nah. I watched it on the broadcast. But I marched with Andy at BK.

Oh and since I forgot last post... Nice review, and thank you!

Robb
USMC 1997-2002 Semper Fi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Ok, here is my review and I will preface this by saying first and foremost...I AM BIASED TO AN EXTENT! I LOVE MY CORPS! But I do keep an open mind!

Ok, here we go!

Exhibition: High Country Brass
Unfortunately I was getting a beer when they started. I did hear Malaga, or Malaguena (they run together for me, I never get them right). it was nice, but it was TOO repetitive! Their drill was horrible, but they did frame off the field well so that they did not look too small on the field.

National Anthem: See other post about what the focus should be on, not the who!

Mandarins: Nice show, I like the concept. It does not seem like the mandarins of the past. It seems more bland, but they can play! The drill was dirty. I could not tell if there were holes in the drill or just bad intervals.

Troopers: I have NEVER been a huge fan of the Troopers until they went inactive for a year and I realized the history and traditions (is that the same thing) that DCI would be missing if the Troopers did not return! The show is VERY entertaining. Unfortunately I had a staff member sitting RIGHT behind me and here is an idea for ALL staff members

STAFF MEMBERS WHO WATCH FROM THE STANDS! YOU DO NOT NEED TO CLAP FOR EVERY LITTLE THING YOU HAVE CLEANED THAT DAY!

While it is important to clean all aspects of the show, the focus is not always on what you cleaned that day! ITS ANNOYING! WE KNOW YOU ARE ON STAFF WITH THEM! Thats why you have the lanyard and badge right? And thats why the invesco staff let you come up into the stands from the FIELD right?

Ok, anyways.....Troopers have a really entertaining show! The drill has many aspects of the old school Troopers, and some new stuff! The guard looked very traditional at the beginning, and did little uniform changes that worked for me!

Madison Scouts: I had the chance to watch their hornline rehears in Colorado Springs on Thursday and then also a little ensemble rehearsal. When I was watching them out of uniform, I realized it was not the same corps physically that I marched against in the late 90's. They looked younger (Maybe I am just older). I was disappointed to say the least. I heard some comments that were un-madison like. They need to do what THEY know and not worry about other groups.

At the show, I had mixed feelings...1) Uniform: Yes, it is bad, but not as bad as I had first thought when I saw pictures online. 2) Unless I missed it, no Fluer De Lies throughout the show...come on, they need it! 3) The sound was BETTER than I expected but still lacked a little depth 4) The drill just did not excite me. It does not seem like the drill writer has pushed them to their limit yet...I say yet, because I hope!

Cavaliers: Although I LOVE the Machine and the past decade of Cavaliers shows, I think they are almost overkilling it. This years drill is still great, but it is far from clean. The guard had an off night in my opinion. The horn moves and body work is still the same. almost jumping the shark at this point. As for the show itself...I LOVE the concept. I think it is WONDERFUL and will contend (well already are) if they clean the pizz out of it. Clean = Effect, Effect = Win!

Phantom Regiment: BIASED BIASED BIASED.....I love the show! Many goosebump moments! I think that in Marks post, part of the problem with the opening when the corps was headed onto the field is that they did not know that the show was running 10 minutes behind. They spent WAY too much time on the field before the show actually started, so some could construe this as gratuitous. They were on AFTER the intermission, so therefore no corps ahead of them to know fully what was happening. The goal in Drum Corps is to tell a story in 10 minutes. They do this WONDERFULLY! I disagree with Mark on his violence factor. And it is ok to disagree, I see his point of view. One guard member was laying on the ground after a battle and the Director turned to the audience and gave the "judgemental" thumbs down and then a sword was simulated to stab him in the stomach. The only other death was the love interest of Spartacus (I believe) dies when someone from behind comes up and acts like he slices her throat. No blood (yet) she just falls. It was NOT out of the blue, everyone saw it coming, which some may still not agree with (and thats ok) but desensitizes the situation. it is an integral part of the show, I do not know how else they could portray that.

The drill was great! I know the drill writer, I was worried a little when he got the gig, but he is doing an AWESOME job! the music is PURE Phantom Regiment.

I knew they would be third tonight, I hoped they would have been 2nd or at LEAST a little closer to the Cavies.

SCV: I like the show! The guard is great! Wacky beginning! It is SCV! But, as I think back, there were no overly memorable parts other than the guard.

Blue Devils: I just dont understand it. That is all! As a drill writer, when did it become ok to run to a set, hit the form, run to another set, and repeat over and over again. I guess it is true that the judges only judge the parts that they can judge. theres nothing about running, so its not judged, but when they DO actually march (which isnt a lot) it is VERY well done! I love the use of the pvc tubing, especially the final spot for it! Music is pure BD. The drill had elements of pure BD, but also had aspects that were outside the BD box if that makes sense!

Blue Knights: I want to love the Blue Knights...I have loved a couple shows over the past few years, but this one didnt do it. They had no energy! it did not make sense...Knight Reign does not make sense. They are trying to do the same things over and over again. Im sorry! I tried!

Overall thoughts: It was BK's 50th anniversary and they had an alumni tent. Being from Regiment I know about Alumni tents, so I know what happens. Also there was alcohol available in the stadium (which I eluded to earlier) But come on people, have common sense. This BK alum about 10 rows in front of us was drunk out of his mind, being rude and disrespectful of the people around him. At one point he turns around and looks half way up the stands and sees a member he probably marched with and yells at the top of his lungs "Hey (Persons name), Hey Mother F-er (only he said it). Get your AZZ down here!). Now come on! Class people! Class!

Also, will someone PLEASE inform the Invesco Field people who work the stadium that it is NOT alright to be selling food and drinks IN the stadium like they do at football games! Also, let the people at the doors know that it is considered RUDE to let people walk in and disrupt people watching a corps while the corps is performing....PLEASE!

Nice night for drum corps, I got to see some old friends, a good time was had by all (except the lady sitting behind the drunk BK alum).

These thoughts are mine only and do not represent the views of my wife, extended family, my high school band or my staff!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 am 
All Star
All Star

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
Madison Scouts: I had the chance to watch their hornline rehears in Colorado Springs on Thursday and then also a little ensemble rehearsal. When I was watching them out of uniform, I realized it was not the same corps physically that I marched against in the late 90's. They looked younger (Maybe I am just older). I was disappointed to say the least. I heard some comments that were un-madison like. They need to do what THEY know and not worry about other groups.

At the show, I had mixed feelings...1) Uniform: Yes, it is bad, but not as bad as I had first thought when I saw pictures online. 2) Unless I missed it, no Fluer De Lies throughout the show...come on, they need it! 3) The sound was BETTER than I expected but still lacked a little depth 4) The drill just did not excite me. It does not seem like the drill writer has pushed them to their limit yet...I say yet, because I hope!

I could not agree more (with you assessment of all of the corps), and true to form for many fans and fmm's of Madison they are griping and ripping into dci for their score and showing at DATR on dcp. They just don't understand what they need to do in order to get the scores. Hmmm, design a good show and clean it.

As far as Cavies, two words come to mind, great and stale. I love the corps, not real fond of the show. The opener is actually using a melody straight out of Machine! There are a couple of new ideas in this show, but for the most part, I think the design team decided to take a vacation with this one.

I'm with you on BD. I don't understand the hype. Yes, they are great. The show itself is still a bit lost on me as to its greatness. The guard costuming is about the worst I have ever seen on the field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

I could not agree more (with you assessment of all of the corps), and true to form for many fans and fmm's of Madison they are griping and ripping into dci for their score and showing at DATR on dcp. They just don't understand what they need to do in order to get the scores. Hmmm, design a good show and clean it.

As far as Cavies, two words come to mind, great and stale. I love the corps, not real fond of the show. The opener is actually using a melody straight out of Machine! There are a couple of new ideas in this show, but for the most part, I think the design team decided to take a vacation with this one.

I'm with you on BD. I don't understand the hype. Yes, they are great. The show itself is still a bit lost on me as to its greatness. The guard costuming is about the worst I have ever seen on the field.

Yeah, I saw that trend popping up yesterday, didn't like it, and said so. Outside of a couple of corps parents, the players are the same Madison fans and alums you've read before who think something funny is going on. Incidentally, they were also the sames ones about which I commented a week ago. Whether the roughly half dozen posters expressing those thoughts represent the "many fans" of the Scouts is debatable, and I really don't want to re-hash last week's exchange. I'm sure you've seen my posts in their cautioning against such thinking. I've said as much as I'm going to say on DCP about that, because I don't want to feed into that mind set. I may be a Scouts fan, but I haven't and will not get into that way of thinking.

But, the idea about taking some steps to provide some explanation about the rationale behind a given corps' score in a given caption on a given night is kind of intriguing. We've had extended conversations on this board trying to understand how GE is judged, for example. It would be very interesting if, periodically, a corps' performance appeared on the fan network with a judges' comments in the audio. Isn't that one of the features available on some of the DVDs of the finals week performances? It would really help the average fan like me understand the "why" behind the "what."

Last edited by Jim Anello on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:28 am 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:
Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

Yeah, I saw that trend popping up yesterday, didn't like it, and said so. Outside of a couple of corps parents, the players are the same Madison fans and alums you've read before who think something funny is going on. Incidentally, they were also the sames ones about which I commented a week ago. I'm sure you've seen my posts in their cautioning against such thinking. I've said as much as I'm going to say on DCP about that, because I don't want to feed into that mind set. I may be a Scouts fan, but I haven't and will not get into that way of thinking.

But, the idea about taking some steps to provide some explanation about the rationale behind a given corps' score in a given caption on a given night is kind of intriguing. We've had extended conversations on this board trying to understand how GE is judged, for example. It would be very interesting if, periodically, a corps' performance appeared on the fan network with a judges' comments in the audio. Isn't that one of the features available on some of the DVDs of the finals week performances? It would really help the average fan like me understand the "why" behind the "what."

On the dvd's you get corps director commentary, color guard commentary and perc judge commentary. I don't think there has been a GE commentary, but I could be wrong.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:38 am 
Veteran
Veteran

LAMystreaux wrote:
Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

ALWAYS first to bash the former scouts. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Great reviews guys! Much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:46 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Jim Anello wrote:
We've had extended conversations on this board trying to understand how GE is judged, for example. It would be very interesting if, periodically, a corps' performance appeared on the fan network with a judges' comments in the audio.

It was very interesting to me, but Colorado Bandmasters had a judges training on Saturday BEFORE the show (We had to pay an extra 10 bucks for parking). Ken Turner and William Chumley were guest judges who talked to us about judging and what was expected.

This was geared towards high school bands, but Ken Turner did make a lot of comments about the differences between DCI and high school bands.

The main topic was General Effect. First High School: High schools have 7 1/2 minutes to tell a story and tell the judges, who will more than likely only see that group ONCE or TWICE a year, what they are all about. Makes sense!

DCI: You get more chances for judges to see you. Critique is there so that a corps can say, "This is what we are trying to get you to see." It is the judges responsibility to say "Ok, but THIS is why I am not seeing it", or at least "What is it that is preventing me from getting it?"

If a corps is not taking the suggestions of the judges, is it the judges fault?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jazzycat1 wrote:
ALWAYS first to bash the former scouts. Thanks again

Is something I said untrue?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

So I'm BK alum and biased. But I don't understand how people aren't getting into their shows. To me they are solid I love the field traditions and the sounds of the horns (although I always want more!!!). Again I am biased but I do sometimes wonder if it’s partly that preconceived notion of what is "expected" from BK that is preventing people from seeing the show? I dunno, like I said Biased and Loved the Show!

I have to agree with Reg_Contra... Goose bumps and my jaw hit the floor of my apartment! Might be my favorite show. I think the depicted "violence" helps sell the show and by no means is anything worse then what we (including the young kids) see every day on TV. Great Show Phantom!

Oooh and my 100th post after all of these years being on here. I'm slow...

Robb
USMC 1997-2002 Semper Fi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

[quote="LAMystreaux"]On the dvd's you get corps director commentary, color guard commentary and perc judge commentary. I don't think there has been a GE commentary, but I could be wrong.[/quote]

The 2000 DVD has Corps Designer, GE Visual Judge, and GE Music Judge Commentaries. Very informative.

The 2004 DVD has Corps Designer, Color Guard Judge, and Percussion Judge Commentaries. There are some great moments with the Color Guard Judge for the Cadets where he is just laughing and saying stuff like "How is it possible you can do that!".

From the 2004 World's Program:

"The most global areas of evaluation is known as Effect. Music and Visual presentations should create an effect unto themselves, triggering aestheic responses to the intellectual and emotional design and performance. :| In essence, this is how we determine what is entertaining about a particular program. Effect captions are the most subjective to judge and yet there are established principles of design and performance practices which can determine what is effective.

Effect judges are looking at the actual design of the show, the peaks and valleys of excitement throughout, and how the performers make the show sucessful. Questions a judge might consider in judging effect are: Do all of the elements of visual and music design reach an effective climax together? Are there a variety of effects in the show that display a wide array of human emotions? Does the packing of the show vary, remain steady, or have lapses?

It is important to realize that it is not just the designers who control the effects but also the performers who bring the effects to life. The performers may be truly amazing musicians and superb marchers, yet they may have limited show material to work with. Eventually the effect wears thin. To be a good effects judge, one must have a depth of understanding of how shows are put together and how performers can not only interpret the design but also actually elevate its sucess."

In the 2000 DVD, one of the themes that the GE Visual Judge kept refering to was directing the audience. Basically, does the drill and visual program tell you where to look, what to feel, match the music, etc. Since hearing this, I have notices several times in a good GE program where the form points you towards a solo or feature. It can also distract you from a form so that you are suprised when it locks. Likewise, I have noticed in a poor GE program where I feel like I am missing things when everyone claps and I have been looking to the other side of the field.

As it says, Effects judging is very subjective. Probably as sugestive as all of our reviews. :lol: