The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Atlanta - DCI Southeast Finals (7:00pm show)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:54 pm 
All Star
All Star

94.525 Blue Devils
93.775 The Cavaliers
93.375 Phantom Regiment
92.625 Carolina Crown
91.375 The Cadets
88.975 Bluecoats
88.100 Santa Clara Vanguard
85.950 Blue Knights
83.175 Blue Stars
83.125 Boston Crusaders
81.800 Glassmen
80.750 Crossmen

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:17 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Wow...notice (as expected) how the scores dropped from prelims.

I'm happy to see Crown is still holding on. :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Honestly,
I would not be surprised if we see a "Blue, White, and Cream" TOP 3 this year!
Wouldn't it just be great to see either Phantom or Crown take "the crown", with a BD upset with 3rd? ( no offense to BD, i love their show, but wow, how great would a different top 2 be!!)
I really excited to see how the top corps really puch now with changed and all.

I watched some videos posted from Atlanta. Some things I noticed from watching a few corps.....

Cadets changed their show a bit again by tweaking the narration. No more "cancer survivor", but instead the "character" talks about being a new "grandmother"( much more audience friendly, and more "happy").
they changed the music a bit too... holding out some brass chords a lot longer for more effect.(works well). The ending, now that they got a chance to clean it up, look wasy better, and the audience ate it up at Atlanta!

Crown changed their ending this week. More entertaining, and just takes the audience with them all the way to the end. They end their show with a HUGE brass shord and they hold it...and hold it... and hold it ( like last years final chord in the opener). Audience ATE them up at Atlanta!!

Phantom just brought it. I didn't notice and huge changes since last weekend, i think they might still have a surprise ending in store for us here in the next couple of weeks( we'll see). Very clean and theh brass is just amazing! Very emotional show with definately gets through to the audience. Definately going to be a Phantom show for the books!

These are just a few corps I wanted to talk about. I only really got to see these corps as it got late last night. I'll watch the rest of the corps soon.

What a great season for DCI!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:44 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

dciboy2000 wrote:
Honestly,

Crown changed their ending this week. More entertaining, and just takes the audience with them all the way to the end. They end their show with a HUGE brass shord and they hold it...and hold it... and hold it ( like last years final chord in the opener). Audience ATE them up at Atlanta!!

You know years ago back in the late '70s and early '80s corps holding the final chord for a long time was the norm. Like you said, the audiences ate it up!
History is like a big circle, it eventually will repeat itself.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

Great show! I always enjoy taking my mom to the show with some friends....she just loves it! And it is nice to get perspective from someone who doesn't follow the activity except for going to this one show every year.

Here are a few thoughts (no need to really review, most of us have seen most corps at this point in the season)

Biggest gripe - - - why was Madison not in the evening show???? The crowd went nuts for this one during the afternoon and it just has the most meat in this pack...by far IMO. I had left after Boston's show so wasn't there for the scores being announced, but I heard that there was lots of booing. IMO, Madison may very well catch and pass both Crossmen and Glassmen.

Crossmen - enjoyable show, certainly a step up from last year. May very well pass the Glassmen in the next two weeks, but I don't see them catching Boston.

Glassmen - same opinion I had at the Milton show...just ehhh. I don't like the trunks, I don't like the girl in purple. The music really doesn't grab you. There is some nice flag work, but that was really about it for me. I just thought there was a lot of lameness to this show. I think they need to go a completely different route next year themewise...the past few seasons have been too similar for my tastes, with this year not being near as enjoyable as the last two. I don't see this one making finals...too clean at this point.

Boston - I disagree with them falling behind Blue Stars. I enjoy this show and think it has a lot of good moments. This corp's achilles heal is the final few weeks of the season. For a number of years now, they seem to peak early and go backwards; it usually happens in Finals week, this year it started early. I hope they don't continue their fall backwards.

Blue Stars - some new screens and new props since Milton, GA. Very enjoyable show, nice sound. I like the new ending even if it is a quite one. The quiet endings always end with a more clap from the crowd, not cheering. Surprised they passed Boston. Can the catch and pass BK? I don't think so...too large of a gap.

Blue Knights - I have to agree with most other reviews of this show....its just too slow, too many quiet moments. The crowd doesn't really know how to respond. I do like the guard uniforms which has had some criticism this year; I think they look nice on the field agains all the blue. I hope next year they do a more fast, 'bright' show...something to match the brightness and uniqueness of those beautiful hand painted flags (which don't match the dark theme IMO). Their safetly in 8th IMO.

Santa Clara Vanguard - maybe it is because they went on before the intermission, but the show was just okay IMO. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the past several seasons. I don't see them moving up, or back really.

Bluecoats - I really enjoyed this one...great theme, some really nice musical moments, really in your face. The fighters can be distracting but I was able to tear my eyes away and watch the drill and the rest of the guard. I thought they were a good bit better than both SCV and Cadets.

Cadets - Hmmmm....some improvement from Milton, but I just hate ALL of the narration. It makes no sense to me with the show; it is so forced. Some great moments that did get the crowd roaring, especially the first powerful ending, which should BE the ending. The quiet move to the smiley face and the little girl that meets the 'mom' on field....soooo lame! Everyone around me was laughing at it and you could hear all the comments. I thought my mom, who is an expecting grandmother with my sister, thought it was just weird. I thought she might enjoy the theme, but no. I'd honestly move this back...closer to SCV.

Crown - Ohh that sound, nice! I didn't enjoy this season's show as much as last year though. A little let down which is not easy to admit....maybe it is all the hype; my expectations were set so high. I think this is a good 4th place show...though I'd like it above BD; I just don't think it has the difficulty of the BD show.

Phantom - WOW.....WOW....WOW. This is one, if not the, best show I have ever seen. From start, to end it is just incredibly entertaining. The guard is great, the sound is OMG so good. I was singing the music in my head all they way till I fell asleep. This should, and can be, number one. Definitely the crowd favorite....full standing 'o'...loudest response from the beginning of the show till the end. Beautiful ballad....just an amazing show. Come on Phantom.....you can pull this to #1!

Cavies - My mom's favorite corps. Great show, great sound, great music, great GE. I expected to be a little let down based on what I have read, but I really like this show. Never saw the first ending, but I hear the one they had last night was the new one...and it is fantastic! I see it in 2nd behind PR.

Blue Devils - Honestly, quite let down based on what I have heard. Executed very well...maybe too well really. But the music isn't memorable, and too much running. Just a weird show...not a first place show IMO.

How I saw them:
1. Phantom Regiment - no question
2. Cavies
3. Crown
4. Blue Devils
5. Bluecoats
6. The Cadets
7. SCV
8. Boston
9. Blue Knights
10. Blue Stars
11. Madison Scouts
12. Colts

13. Crossmen
14. Glassmen
15. Spirit
16. Troopers
17. Mandarins - very underappreciated...great show!

18. Pacific Crest
19. The Academy
20. Pioneer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

SCV and Coats were sooooooooo dirty last night. They were cleaner a week ago. They should feel lucky the corps below them just aren't as good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

So Cadets, changed the whole tone of the narrative thread? Cancer survivor becomes grandmother? Seems to me like it wasn't worth doing in the first place if that's the case.

Not trying to knock the Cadets for trying this or sticking to seeing this experiment through the last few years, but it seems like sign enough to me that if it's worth scrapping and rebuilding to that extent, it could've benefitted from going through the editing process for another year to be placed over other music.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:26 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Don't know where you were sitting in the Georgia Dome, but in section 117 the "crowd" did NOT eat up The Cadets. Most gave them a polite golf clap

As a parent, father, and educator I was a little disturbed by the fact that the "mother" in the story line was not married, with 2 kids. I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED TO BE HAPPY! But I am concerned with the message given out in this show.

JMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 pm 
All Star
All Star

BigMo wrote:
Don't know where you were sitting in the Georgia Dome, but in section 117 the "crowd" did NOT eat up The Cadets. Most gave them a polite golf clap

As a parent, father, and educator I was a little disturbed by the fact that the "mother" in the story line was not married, with 2 kids. I AM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE MARRIED TO BE HAPPY! But I am concerned with the message given out in this show.

JMHO

I guess they forgot to add the part in where the mom was beaten a few times by the dad and had to leave him. :roll:

Seriously, I know you are not a George fan, but sometimes it seems people look for things to pin the guy on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:02 pm 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
I guess they forgot to add the part in where the mom was beaten a few times by the dad and had to leave him. :roll:

Seriously, I know you are not a George fan, but sometimes it seems people look for things to pin the guy on.

Seriously, I know you are a George apologist, but sometimes it seems as if people feel it necessary to rush to his defense even when he is not being attacked. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:28 pm 
All Star
All Star

NOBAMA NOHOPPY, 1 down... wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:

Seriously, I know you are a George apologist, but sometimes it seems as if people feel it necessary to rush to his defense even when he is not being attacked. :lol:

Yeah, George and I are tight.

Where do you pull this stuff from?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:

Pretty simple, really. Someone says something about the Cadets; you jump in to defend Hopkins. The pattern is clear on here and on DCP. Sometimes there are attacks directed at Hopkins (even these are mostly about his actions which deserve criticism); other times, not so much. All I did was take your absurd response about pinning things on George when the comment was purely the poster's opinion about the show content. Had nothing to do with George. Why make it something it clearly is not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
LAMystreaux wrote:

Pretty simple, really. Someone says something about the Cadets; you jump in to defend Hopkins. The pattern is clear on here and on DCP. Sometimes there are attacks directed at Hopkins (even these are mostly about his actions which deserve criticism); other times, not so much. All I did was take your absurd response about pinning things on George when the comment was purely the poster's opinion about the show content. Had nothing to do with George. Why make it something it clearly is not?

If I remember correctly, BigMo has a history with George and The Cadets. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. . .not to mention how much you love George also. George and I could not be more different. I actually detest much of what he believes in.

My point remains that griping about the grandmother not being married is pretty silly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:

Although I agree the previous post was stretching it a bit, I find it disturbing that an educator would find this to be a humorous response.

My wife is a teacher and comes back from school sometimes heartbroken over hearing of just such an event.

On top of that, males in American society are villified enough without having other males making light of fathers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:
My point remains that griping about the grandmother not being married is pretty silly.

Ok, then why not say that? Why turn it into another defense of Poor George?

I know, old habits... :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next