Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cinema Broadcast Review
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Some quick thoughts on the Cinema Broadcast of tonights quarterfinals.

Overall: Great night with some fantastic performances across the board. The top 4 were phenomenal. The commentators were good and had some very funny moments. All in all, great fun!

Pioneer - 20th - 74.125 - (Hightlight only) - I was suprised how clean they were. They had a good sound and a nice show (based on the brief clip).

Mandarins - 19th - 77.925 - (Highlight only) - Good job. Noticable improvement from Pionner.

The Academy - 18th - 78.850 - (Highlight only) - Also good clip. They had a nice sound and good visual look.

Pacific Crest - 17th - 79.350 - (Highlight only) - My memory is fading. I don't recall much from their clip.

Troopers - 16th - 81.500 - (Highlight only) - Very fun show. I saw their show in Denver and it was great. I'm glad they made it to Semi-Finals this year.

Spirit - 15th - 83.350 - Good show, but this one didn't quite connect with me.

Colts - 14th - 84.450 - Great show. High energy. Good connection with the crowd.

Madison Scouts - 12th - 85.075 - Madison came to play. I saw this show in Denver and it was good, but lacked energy. This was the first corps for me tonight that really had the energy going. I feel they earned their 12th place tonight.

Crossmen - 13th - 84.825 - They felt a little off to me. I think they have a good show, they just felt a little...um...nervous. I would expect them to ramp it up tomorrow and fight it out with Madison.

Glassmen - 11th - 87.625 - Um...interesting. They did a great job with a solid show. It just didn't quite connect with me.

Blue Stars - 9th - 88.100 - Great show! Fun concept, good execution, very enjoyable. I enjoyed the Tour de France theme more than I thought I would. Excelent job.

Boston Crusaders - 10th - 87.925 - Also a good job. This show had some vintage Crusaders moments and was well paced and designed throughout.

- 15 minute intermission -

Blue Knights - 8th - 88.425 - The hometown corps (for my theather) got a good reaction. I still can't believe how exposed and risky this show is. It still isn't one of my favorites, but I recognize and respect the difficulty of this show.

Bluecoats - 7th - 92.175 - Noticable step up in performance, production, and quality. I didn't love the boxing theme, but it worked and was consistent throughout. Great perforances all around. Very solid.

Santa Clara Vanguard - 6th - 92.625 - I think this is an extremely difficult show not only to perform but to sell to the crowd. I think SCV did it tonight. Great focus, energy, and performance. I was suprised they were as close to the Bluecoats (and as far from the Cadets) in the end.

The Cadets - 5th - 94.225 - First off, I love The Cadets. They definitely had a cool reception in my theather (some people quietly hissed Hopkins when he was explaining the show). That being said, I just didn't like this show. The drum corps portions were great and very well executed. The naration (which I can handle, when done well) just didn't fit. It seemed distracting and disconnected. I kept thinking, this is like watching two TV shows picture-in-picture. At least last years narration seemed to fit with the rest of the performance. I did like Hopkin's brutal honesty in the post perforance interview. When asked "Did this show live up to your expectations?" he quickly responded "No". He did speak very highly of the kids and their performance.

Phantom Regiment - 3rd - 96.575 - Wow! Increadible. This was clearly the fan favorite in our theather. This show is dense, complex, and quite a production. I loved the commentators' response after the show. They were basically tongue tied saying "wow", etc. One of the big applause moments in my theater was based on the drum major's post perforance interview. He basically said that their main goal is to connect to the crowd. "We could get last place and be happy if we got a crowd reaction like that."

Carolina Crown - 4th - 96.075 - They had a tough show to follow...and really delivered. This was the biggest suprise for me tonight. The musical arrangment is increadible. The overall show design is masterful. My jaw was on the floor for much of the show. One of my favorite shows in years (if not all time)! I expected them even closer to the top three, but I still feel it is still a four way race at the top. They were a very close 2nd for crowd favorite.

The Cavaliers - 2nd - 97.000 - Great show, squeeky clean, complete concept that was carried though every aspect of the show. I loved it!! The drill work at the end where everyone is jumping over each other was classic. I was thinking I was glad not to be a judge. I just don't see how they can separate these different versions of near perfection. Excellent job.

Blue Devils - 1st - 97.375 - I thought this was the show to beat after seeing them in Denver, and I think the other three in the top four have stepped up to make a run at it. This is a great show that the Devils performed the snot out of. After the last three performances, this one didn't quite live up to my expectations. It may have been that little extra something that can't come through the broadcast and has to be experience live. I was not suprised they came out with 1st, but I honestly wouldn't have been suprised with any of the top 4 comming out with 1st.

My favorites of the evening:
1/2) Carolina Crown / Cavailers
3) Phantom Regiment
4) Blue Devils
5) Santa Clara Vanguard
6) Blue Stars
7) Madison Scouts

Go enjoy yourselves all you lucky devils who get to see these guys live in the next two days. I can't imagine the improvements between now and finals. It should be quite a ride !

Mark A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Mark, which theater were you in? Up in Denver or in Colorado Springs (or somewhere else?) I was in Tinseltown in Colorado Springs...

My thoughts...as best I can remember...

Pioneer....got the best clip, so it was good

Mandarins...Better than when I saw them in Denver

The Academy....Disappointing after last years success

Pacific Crest...Cant remember at ALL!

Troopers...SO ENTERTAINING!!!

Spirit...As a former staff member, I have to say that I am glad I left when I did, after the 2006 season, I have been disappointed.

Colts - I liked this show....some cool visuals (the rising sun). But not enough....good show concept though

Madison Scouts...MUCH improved congrats on (at least tonight) moving up a spot! Hold on to it PLEASE! I still missed seeing a Fleur De Lies in the show....

Crossmen...Was a solid drum corps show, but for some reason still missed SOMETHING

Glassmen....OK, I have walked out of EVERY Glassmen show since 1999 for personal reasons but I decided to stick this one out! Let me say this....thank you! It was a VERY well designed show! It may have just put the corps back in my "viewable" repertoire...Dont ask about why I had decided NOT to even watch the corps in the past, it was purely personal.

Blue Stars...I liked the show, but at the same time, I thought it crossed the cheesy line too much. I will say this, they are NOT the first corps to have a bike on the field!

BAC - Nice Crusader show! Very nostalgic!

Blue Knights - Hey Blue Knights....CAN you PLEASE go a complete phrase without some overkilled visual? Sometimes less is more!

Bluecoats - Continue to entertain! That was a well designed show!

SCV - I think it was just too tough of a show to let sink in...I LOVED it, but it needs a couple more weeks

Cadets - One thing kept popping into my head....ALL THEY ARE DOING IS ACTING, AND THEY ARENT EVEN THE ONES MIC'ED!!!!!! WTF???

Phantom - Only corps that received a standing ovation IN THE THEATER!!! Enough said!

Carolina Crown - Nice show, I think LAST years show had a little too much cheese factor and that kept them out of the top....this one does not!

Cavies - I know I am unpopular in saying this, but they have done the SAME visuals for 5 years or more! YES, they do it well, YES, they are clean....but I am over some of it! With that being said, the last few moves with the jumping over horn members was pretty wicked!

Blue Devils - Not 1st in my opinion, but another well designed show. Stop compensating for drill writer inadequacies by throwing in a scatter run!

MY placements:

1st - Tie Phantom and Cavies
3rd - BD
4th - Crown
5th - SCV
6th - Cadets
7th - Bluecoats
8th - Bluestars
9th - Blue Knights
10th - Glassmen
11th - Madison
12th - Colts

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
Cadets - One thing kept popping into my head....ALL THEY ARE DOING IS ACTING, AND THEY ARENT EVEN THE ONES MIC'ED!!!!!! WTF???

I wondered about that too. Did these two have easiest task of any member of any corps in history? Did they have to pay full dues? Did they have to wake up early for practice? Did they practice standing around? Somehow I can't imagine that these two had a life-changing summer. By the way, I really liked the Cadets' closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 pm 
All Star
All Star

My brief thoughts...

The theater was packed. One of five in the immediate area; I really thought it might be a little more open. There were people lying on the floor in front of the first row looking up at the screen. Sidebar: since the theater doesn't sell SRO tickets, some of these "fans" must have bought a lower price ticket to another movie. As no one was checking tickets past the initial entrance it was easy to do. No $$ for DCI from freeloaders...

Video quality is suspect. Hope they can improve on that in future years.

I spoke to the theater mgr. ahead of time and the sound was cranked...in a good way. Audio was more than decent in quality.

Dunno, but seeing DCI in a typical Midwest college stadium just seems right. There is a quality and an atmosphere that just doesn't exist in state of the art NFL venues. I'm sure if I had been there in person, my desire for personal comfort would trump any fondness I may have for nostalgia though.

Tom Blair's team is remarkable. Not perfect, but a very nice job of on the fly production.

Some of the front ensemble PA systems are getting out of control. Did anyone notice the mic set up that Boston had? And how are those mics NOT picking up field instruments? $$$$$$$

Ok, on the subject of amplification, sometimes the pit instruments are too picken loud. I have noticed this in person as well so mic placement for the broadcast is only part of the issue.

Did anyone notice Bluecoats mic was not working at the beginning of their show? It looked like he was introducing the fighters but I heard nothing (and it wasn't missed either). Seriously, the Coats have an entertaining show with cheesy narrative getting in the way. I think they could have been far more creative and "told" the story in a different way. Give us some credit for being able to get the subtleties. I found Colts accomplished a much more complex idea through the use of the clock chimes keeping the audience clued in to the time of day being represented. Nice job Colts!

Crown will be my CD corps of 2008, meaning that if I get to just listen to anyone, it will be them. Oh I will watch the DVD too, but even just listening to that show will be a pure joy. The music stands well by itself. The visual (even with the CG hairdos) is icing on the cake. Colts are another one I will listen to.

Hoping for the 12th Place tie on Friday. Madison and Crossmen both bring something to the table and I would love to see them both make it.

Mad props to Blue Stars for returning to Finals. I was there the first time you didn't make it in 1980. It is good to have you back on Saturday night.

Also props to Troopers for returning to semi-finals after a long absence.

PHANTOM REGIMENT!

Oh my, they are as entertaining as it gets. A complete package of design and execution. This is an epic show that has become an instant classic in my book. BY FAR, the loudest and most enthusiastic response of the night. Even in a highly partisan Blue Devil crowd, they got they only standing ovation in the theater. Oh yeah, their drum line plays fairly well too...

Ok, now for the 2-ton maroon & cream elephant in the room...

The experiment continues. Once again we have a program that the announcers have to qualify, almost apologies for, in describing it to the audience. Even the ovation from the crowd was described as being somewhat less than one might expect for a performance of this caliber. We are warned to not dwell on the narrative. Allow ourselves to separate the elements so we can enjoy the "drum corps show" that is implied to exist within the broader program. How much more will Cadet-fan or Cadet-alum tolerate? What about Cadet members? Do they long for baby-throwing audiences or do they simply enjoy their role as prophets without their due honor in their hometown (i.e. the drum corps community at large)? Surely they have heard the crowd response their competitive peers are getting. I just don't get it...

On the whole, DCI World Class is in great shape from a performance level standpoint. I will say again, IF Pioneer is the worst this class has to offer, then things are pretty good on that front. Props to Pioneer, Mandarins and the Academy as their seasons are now over. Especially to the age-outs who didn't know this would be your last show until the scores were announced. The hope for tomorrow's show may be gone, but the memories of today will last a lifetime. Thanks for entertaining us so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:32 am 
All Star
All Star

NOBAMA NOHOPPY, 1 down... wrote:
Hoping for the 12th Place tie on Friday. Madison and Crossmen both bring something to the table and I would love to see them both make it.

PHANTOM REGIMENT!

Oh my, they are as entertaining as it gets. A complete package of design and execution. This is an epic show that has become an instant classic in my book. BY FAR, the loudest and most enthusiastic response of the night. Even in a highly partisan Blue Devil crowd, they got they only standing ovation in the theater. Oh yeah, their drum line plays fairly well too...

I agree on Mad/Crossmen. I think last night Madison simply outperformed Crossmen. Crossmen need to perform confidently (like Madison did) for a shot tonight.

There is seriously something wrong in the world when a show as clean and as good as Phantom's is in 3rd. The Devs and Cavs simply don't do it for me. It saddens me that the best show of the year may not have a chance at winning or even coming close.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:49 am 
Veteran
Veteran

LAMystreaux wrote:

PHANTOM REGIMENT!

I agree on Mad/Crossmen. I think last night Madison simply outperformed Crossmen. Crossmen need to perform confidently (like Madison did) for a shot tonight.

There is seriously something wrong in the world when a show as clean and as good as Phantom's is in 3rd. The Devs and Cavs simply don't do it for me. It saddens me that the best show of the year may not have a chance at winning or even coming close.

I have to agree on all points here. Madison and Crossmen are closely matched but Madison made it look like they weren't so close last night. Phantom should be winning it all with their show. They are better than BD or Cavies by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:03 am 
All Star
All Star

You know, on my drive down here, I kept thinking about what I've seen on the Fan Network videos all season. This is my first show of the year, which is unusual but nevertheless, based on what I've seen on video I could not see any reason why Regiment would not win this thing and maybe even win it going away! Last night, seeing them live and in person was just incredible. This show is truly and epic. The entire crowd was on their feet for the last 30-40 seconds of the show. Truly incredible! But they are in 3rd..... and honestly I'm not surprised. Seeing the other top contenders live proved that they really are better than their Fan Network appearances as well. But, how do you separate 4 amazing shows that are so disparate? I say, side with the audience. Judges, are you listening???

Also, I just want to say that this has been the best group of performances, top to bottom, that DCI has ever fielded, IMO. Maybe it's just because I haven't worn myself out on anyone yet, but I recall back in '99 when the first time I saw anyone was at Quarters that there were many shows that were just, eh.... There wasn't a show out there that I wouldn't want to see again. Even the Cadets with all their design issues brought it last night. I could do without the stage and talking, but it's much improved over early season offerings and that is one heck of a corps performing out there! They just need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 am 
All Star
All Star

LAMystreaux wrote:

I was bummed because I could not get to the theater until 1/2-way through the Crossmen, so I totally missed Madison. I saw with our band's visual/guard person, and he really liked Madison. I thought the Crossmen came across a little 'blah' in the theater; I liked them better at West Chester in person.

Quote:

I loved Regiment myself, but I can't say I am surprised at the placements, and Regiment is within striking distance....so good luck to them!

I thought the Glassmen came across better in person, as the emoting they do is designed for a football stadium, not camera closeups. I loved their show live.

I still think Crown's show is too much like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, though Clair de Lune may be my single favorite drum corps music moment of 2008.

I am glad the Cadets ended without the post-script narration. I do wish they could get some of that ending script in a bit earlier, along with the little girl, as I like the moment...just not where it was placed in the show. They had my favorite end-of-show last night.

Loved BK more last night than when I saw them live last week...I agreed with their placement below Glassmen at West Chester. I don't know if they had a bad show in West Chester...or if the camras and mics are just kinder to them...or if they just plain worked to improve, but I really enjoyed them in the theater.

I actually enjoyed this BD show more than most...I always appreciate them for how they perform, and the juggernaut they have as an organization, even if they are usually not high on my 'like' list.

I loved the Cavies pit...but I wish the music had been more Asian in general, and not just the pit.

There seemed to be a lot of "lets' line up on a yardline and do a neat visual move"...usually, but not always, on the 50.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for the reviews. We lost the satalitte feed in Millbury MA just as Phantom came on. We had a nasty thunderstorm that went through. Go figure the top 4 is what I really wanted to see!! :(

http://www.valleyairs.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am 
Veteran
Veteran

LAMystreaux wrote:

PHANTOM REGIMENT!

I agree with you, LA. I had Phantom in first and Crown in second....but do the judges have the stones to place them there? I think some do....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:12 am 
All Star
All Star

First off, the camera work and video quality was atrocious. DCI showed a complete inability to filter out excess light from the setting sun. The first few corps suffered from tremendous glare off the backfield stands, and members that were in the pressbox shadow on the front sideline were completely invisible. Come on DCI, you're supposed to be a professional operation, hire a film crew (or get better cameras) that can handle the sun. But that wasn't all: the video feed was poor, too. There was ghosting throughout on the high angle shots, and most of the close-up/field-level shots were fuzzy and not completely in focus.

Thankfully, the audio was fine.

My theater (AMC La Jolla Village Square, San Diego, CA) had 12 people. Yep, 12. It was wonderful. Didn't have to deal with 150 non-stop chatterbox high school marchers like I did last year at the Edwards Mira Mesa cinema. Audience roll call: four FMMs, eight "just fans"; four fans of Phantom, two of SCV, two of the Blue Devils, three of the Cavaliers and one of Spirit.

Here's my review/comments. I've already got my asbestos suit on.

Spirit - Pretty bland and uninteresting show for me, except for the "Batman Begins" selections that transferred to the field better than I expected. The drumline is a joy.

Colts - Pretty good, but... Nice to see a corps that still respects the power of a melody.

Madison Scouts - First "sit up and take notice" show of the night for me. Madison is performing with an attitude I haven't seen since 1999 (even their 6th place "Carmen" show didn't have the same fire). Definitely deserving of a Finals spot, first big thumbs-up of the night. :tup:

Crossmen - When I first heard Aaron Guidry's musical book back in May, I thought this corps was destined for great things. Seeing their show in the theater, there's almost nothing of that original book left. The Crossmen's show was surprisingly dull, and I don't expect them to leap back in front of Madison again this season.

Glassmen - The Visual program is carrying this show. Musical arrangements (especially the subdued and lifeless arrangement of "The Breakfast Machine") were a huge disappointment to me.

Blue Stars - Fabulous show. Brilliant concept, brilliant design, fabulous execution. Loved the bicycle at the end of the show. They should finish 8th on Saturday night. :tup:

Boston Crusaders - Everyone's in love with "Kingfishers Catch Fire," both in drum corps and in the concert hall, and I can't see why. I don't think it's one of Mackey's better pieces. The "Burly Brawl" was terrific.

Blue Knights - I'm normally a fan of BK's dark, brooding shows, but this one didn't do it for me at all. I couldn't find any emotional arc to the show at all: it was soft, soft, LOUD, soft, LOUD, etc. but both the soft and loud passages provoked the same feelings. I love their body movement, but in the past it seemed like the body movement was done in between the musical selections. This year it felt like their musical selections were done in between their body movement sections.

Bluecoats - Much like last year, I feel this show concept is a little too "gimmicky" and really didn't leave the corps much room to move above the 6th/7th spots. It's okay, not great. Nice drumline, and loved the full corps pounding away on "The Boxer" on the front sideline. Speaking of boxers, I wouldn't be afraid to get in the ring with EITHER of those two guys, even if they are younger and in better shape. Couldn't they have spent a day or two with an actually boxing coach to help shape their technique a bit better? It would've helped sell the show more if the two boxers weren't just laughable pantomimes of real boxers.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Loved it. Relentless show that surprised me with its intensity. I really have no idea why SCV isn't far, far ahead of the Bluecoats. Yep, it's got some dirt (a whole lot of it) and isn't a threat for a Top 3 spot, but it's a well-designed, well-performed show. :tup:

The Cadets - Surprisingly, the narration didn't bother me as much as I expected it to. But it doesn't work at all with this show (what does the show lose if the narration is removed?), and I was puzzled as to why the actors on the stage weren't doing the actual narration. Seriously, why do we need two mimes on the field? Musical performance was pretty good, but visually I thought they were lacking (at least by their standards).

Phantom Regiment - Best show of the year. Possibly the best Phantom show of all time. There were no babies in the theater, so when the show was over I just grabbed whatever was near me and threw it at the screen. The old lady I threw is a little bruised, but mostly okay, and she agreed that it was a reasonable reaction to Phantom's performance. Easily the favorite of everyone in the theater. I think Phantom's visual scores should be a touch higher. They aren't as clean as the corps above them, but they're trying more than I've seen from Phantom in a long while. I know I'm an unabashed Phantom homer, but there's something wrong with the judging system if a show like this can't win. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Carolina Crown - Good show, great hornline, though I'm not as blown away with this show as many others. The first few minutes of the show don't quite work for me. The finales are crafted towards a specific, pinnacle finsh. In the first movement they just kind of morphed into one another, leaving the music before it feeling somewhat incomplete. This wasn't a problem in the closer.

Humor me for a minute...
1989 Star of Indiana = first Top 6 appearance, coming-of-age as a major DCI power.
1990 Star of Indiana = first time as a legitimate championship contender.
1991 Star of Indiana = Championship.

2007 Carolina Crown = first Top 6 appearance, coming-of-age as a major DCI power.
2008 Carolina Crown = first time as a legitimate championship contender.
2009 Carolina Crown = ?

The Cavaliers - Standard Cavaliers formula: great drumline, great visual, tepid brass. No way they should be ahead of Phantom. Call me a hater all you want, I won't try to deny it, but I think Richard Saucedo is the most over-rated arranger in DCI. I was listening to the 2002 Cavaliers recently and time has not been favorable to that show. The first big sixteenth note run that I can recall hearing happened EIGHT MINUTES into the show. Sure, the Cavaliers execute amazingly, but Saucedo's books are not that impressive. And again in 2008, I can't recall a single difficult brass passage performed when the corps is moving at decent speed. Musically (specifically, brass) I think the Cavaliers have the easiest show of the Top 6. Visually, their shows are wonderful and, hey, the formula works for them. But I can't say I agree with it.

Twenty-four years ago, DCI moved away from the tick system. The rationale was that the tick system was only about ERROR, not achievement or accomplishment, and the corps that were trying a lot were getting beat down by other corps with easier, but cleaner shows. Today, is the system really all that different? The judges still seem to look for cleanliness above all else, and reward it at a proportionally higher rate than difficulty or programming ambition.

Blue Devils - I think BD is the only legitimate contender other than Phantom. This won't ever be my favorite BD show, but the design works well and is performed at a high level. Still, 29.90 visually is laughable (particularly the perfect 20.0 in visual ensemble from high-on-crack judge Tim Ochran); this corps has the potential to be that good, but they certainly weren't last night (I saw plenty of fuzzy forms).

One final note: just off the top of your head, in the past 20 years (1988-2007) what percentage of DCI Champions do you think won High Music (Music Ensemble + Brass + Percussion)? 90%? 80%? 75%?

Try 56.5%. Yes. Barely HALF of the DCI Champions of the past 20 years have won high music. A great visual program can make up for musical deficiencies, but a great musical program hardly ever seems to make up for visual deficiencies. Does that seem right to you? Because it sure doesn't seem right to me.

Won DCI Title without winning High Music:
2006 Cavaliers
2004 Cavaliers
2001 Cavaliers
2000 Cavaliers
1999 Blue Devils
1998 Cadets
1996 Phantom Regiment
1994 Blue Devils
1993 Cadets
1988 Madison Scouts

My Quarterfinals scores:
98.0 Phantom Regiment
97.5 Blue Devils
97.0 Carolina Crown
96.5 Cavaliers
94.5 The Cadets
94.0 Santa Clara Vanguard
92.0 Bluecoats
90.0 Blue Stars
88.5 Boston Crusaders
88.0 Blue Knights
87.5 Glassmen
87.0 Madison Scouts
86.0 Colts
85.7 Crossmen
84.0 Spirit

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:35 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

1996 Phantom Regiment

Phantom Won brass with a 9.9 finals night. Also won GE music with a 19.5 and second in Ensemble music to the Cadets with a 14.6 (compared to 14.8 for Cadets)

Now that is just Finals night, and I know they hand out the caption awards based on the Quarterfinals scores....but it you are comparing winning scores to the caption, it needs to be that nights score.

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:56 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hostrauser wrote:
First off, the camera work and video quality was atrocious. DCI showed a complete inability to filter out excess light from the setting sun. The first few corps suffered from tremendous glare off the backfield stands, and members that were in the pressbox shadow on the front sideline were completely invisible. Come on DCI, you're supposed to be a professional operation, hire a film crew (or get better cameras) that can handle the sun. But that wasn't all: the video feed was poor, too. There was ghosting throughout on the high angle shots, and most of the close-up/field-level shots were fuzzy and not completely in focus.

Thankfully, the audio was fine.

I totally agree about the video quality especially since I was sitting toward the front of the theater. Unacceptable streamlined quality video on a huge screen means trouble. Probably would look fine from 2 blocks away though. I do think that the direction and shot choice was not too bad. They obviously did their homework and caught most of the significant action as it was happening. One dilemma is, when the drum line is throwing down, typically the visual is also interesting so choices have to be made. If you were expecting to see sticking subtleties from the high angle, forget about it. I still think the picture in picture method works best for soloists though. Gives them their due and lets the audience see what else is happening.

Hostrauser wrote:
My theater (AMC La Jolla Village Square, San Diego, CA) had 12 people. Yep, 12. It was wonderful. Didn't have to deal with 150 non-stop chatterbox high school marchers like I did last year at the Edwards Mira Mesa cinema. Audience roll call: four FMMs, eight "just fans"; four fans of Phantom, two of SCV, two of the Blue Devils, three of the Cavaliers and one of Spirit.

Note to self: Go to La Jolla next year. When we left at intermission (with stuff left on our seats) we came back to find three late arriving band kids sitting there. Their stay in our seats was short lived and their exit was hasty (size has its advantages). Also saw the manager bust some kids entering through the back door. I did run into my jr. high band director though. He was telling everyone we went to middle school together (technically true I suppose).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:

1996 Phantom Regiment

Phantom Won brass with a 9.9 finals night. Also won GE music with a 19.5 and second in Ensemble music to the Cadets with a 14.6 (compared to 14.8 for Cadets)

Now that is just Finals night, and I know they hand out the caption awards based on the Quarterfinals scores....but it you are comparing winning scores to the caption, it needs to be that nights score.

I am only using Finals' caption scores. Take a look at my definition again...

Music Ensemble + Brass + Percussion = Music

1996:
14.5 + 9.8 + 9.9 = 34.2 Blue Devils
14.8 + 9.6 + 9.8 = 34.2 Cadets
14.6 + 9.9 + 9.6 = 34.1 Phantom Regiment

While Phantom was certainly my favorite musical show of that season, they didn't win High Music. (Though they should have: their Musical Ensemble score was too low; +0.1 more gives them High Music and the title outright.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

My brief thoughts...

Next time, take the time to write out your more detailed thoughts 8-)

I agree with nearly everyone that PR's show is the most captivating this year. It was about three-fourths of the way through Crown's (!) show that I finally stopped hyperventilating. I have never seen the movie, but PR did such a fantastic job of storytelling that I could not only envision a coherent plot but I even cared about the characters! Maybe the best thing they did was establish a pervasive sense of brutality throughout the show. Brutality in music is rarely a bad thing.