Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I am only using Finals' caption scores. Take a look at my definition again...

Music Ensemble + Brass + Percussion = Music

1996:
14.5 + 9.8 + 9.9 = 34.2 Blue Devils
14.8 + 9.6 + 9.8 = 34.2 Cadets
14.6 + 9.9 + 9.6 = 34.1 Phantom Regiment

While Phantom was certainly my favorite musical show of that season, they didn't win High Music. (Though they should have: their Musical Ensemble score was too low; +0.1 more gives them High Music and the title outright.)

Dang it! Ill try harder next time! Oh wait, I aged out a long time ago! Oh well, Ill still take the tie!

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:33 pm 
All Star
All Star

NOBAMA NOHOPPY, 1 down... wrote:
Did anyone notice the mic set up that Boston had?

Ok, now for the 2-ton maroon & cream elephant in the room...

The experiment continues. Once again we have a program that the announcers have to qualify, almost apologize for, in describing it to the audience. Even the ovation from the crowd was described as being somewhat less than one might expect for a performance of this caliber. We are warned to not dwell on the narrative. Allow ourselves to separate the elements so we can enjoy the "drum corps show" that is implied to exist within the broader program. How much more will Cadet-fan or Cadet-alum tolerate? What about Cadet members? Do they long for baby-throwing audiences or do they simply enjoy their role as prophets without their due honor in their hometown (i.e. the drum corps community at large)? Surely they have heard the crowd response their competitive peers are getting. I just don't get it...

I totally agree with you about BC's mic and amp set up. Very bad. If you don't have the money to do it right, refrain from attempting it. It's very distracting.

Regarding the Cadets, the narrative is the integral component of the broader program, but that's not the issue with the show. It's really about timing, pacing, and integration. That is, the entire vision feels disjointed as the elements lack the cohesion of the Cadets' 2005 and 2007 shows. The impact points of the narrative need the same dynamic contrast as the music, and the emotional distinction is tied to timing as well. It is understood that the storyline at the beginning of the season covered an entire lifespan spent in the pursuit of happiness. This American Life, the show's inspiration, studies snapshot oddities in life, moments of epiphany, or the exotic in a mundane world, so the poignancy of the exposition can be precisely demonstrated in a short period of airtime. Oppositely, the Cadets' 2008 story is convolutedly irreparable. It needs to be minimalized to a specific set of circumstances that lead to a person's happiness. However, do I consider this show a failure? No. It merely falls short of a championship, but if we look at it from a pursuit of happiness standpoint, some interesting thoughts come to mind. Think about it. It might make you happy! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 pm 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
Regarding the Cadets, the narrative is the integral component of the broader program, but that's not the issue with the show. It's really about timing, pacing, and integration. That is, the entire vision feels disjointed as the elements lack the cohesion of the Cadets' 2005 and 2007 shows. The impact points of the narrative need the same dynamic contrast as the music, and the emotional distinction is tied to timing as well. It is understood that the storyline at the beginning of the season covered an entire lifespan spent in the pursuit of happiness. This American Life, the show's inspiration, studies snapshot oddities in life, moments of epiphany, or the exotic in a mundane world, so the poignancy of the exposition can be precisely demonstrated in a short period of airtime. Oppositely, the Cadets' 2008 story is convolutedly irreparable. It needs to be minimalized to a specific set of circumstances that lead to a person's happiness. However, do I consider this show a failure? No. It merely falls short of a championship, but if we look at it from a pursuit of happiness standpoint, some interesting thoughts come to mind. Think about it. It might make you happy! :D

Yeah, I thought it sucked too... :lol: <j/k>

Ok, we do get it. We understand the concept, just like we did in 2007. No amount of explaining what they were trying to do or what they actually did do is really anything more than moot. The general audience does not like it. There is a strong sense that it doesn't belong. Placement is not the issue nor should it be the final point on which success or failure is judged. The show failed to connect with the audience at large. It failed to get the members the ovations they deserved. It succeeded in more ill will toward their director. All this because of a single element that they are building shows around. Is getting that idea to work so important that the design staff and the director are willing to sacrifice the members years of eligibility stuck in the grand experiment? Look, all corps have off years (again, not speaking of placement here). Ideas don't always work out. Programs are not always executed at the level needed to sell the show. But when the sole element that is creating the disconnect is controversial in and of itself, and fine shows are within your capabilities to the extreme degree, then what is the point? To show "us" how wrong we have been? :wink:

What, it should be Spartacuses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 pm 
All Star
All Star

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
What, it should be Spartacuses?

:rotf:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Seriously...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

If anyone is actually under the perception that BD's 2008 program is even remotely musically complicated then you are seriously delusional. The same melody is played throughout the 10 minute show... wow... quarter notes and half notes DON'T OVER DO YOURSELVES BD! In defense of the Cavaliers Saucedo has produced a VERY comprehensive brass book this year. There is an immediate wall of sound put out at the beginning of the show, beautiful soprano solo's going on. Technical 16th note runs about a minute into the show. Not to mention their ability to match even when "pitch bending." Visually the Cavaliers remain untouched in my opinion.... horn players balancing on a non existent beam just doesn't do it for me.... or a stick figure made of..... sticks.... I would be happy with either Cavaliers or PR winning this year. Blue Devils just don't cut it for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:33 am 
All Star
All Star

I watched quarters at AMC in Rockaway, NJ. Only blip was a one second outage during Cavies, crowd screamed in terror! Large screen, slightly fuzzy image at times, great audio!

Crowd went nuts twice: The Crocker retro announcement of Muchachos, and tremendous booing and hissing at the sight of the Hopkins Head!

Quick thoughts:

Blue Devils were not the same corps I saw at Allentown

Crossmen were flat

Cadets- what a waste of a fantastic Drum Corps- should have kept the smiley face, dumped the stage. Audience was hysterical at the actors close-up, glad to see folks finally noticed the voice-over-ists hiding behind the 2001 Space Odyssey Monolith to the right of the pit.

Carolina Crown is unreal, thankfully Claiir d'Lune rescued me from some Thomas the Tank singing I listened to all day yesterday doing volunteer work- they are truly now an elite corps.

Blue Stars - great they finally added a bicycle to the ending!

BlueCoats- much better than Allentown- field too cluttered by those props

Cavies - I Love It

Blue Knights - I like em- but everyone now does body movement

Troopers - YAY!

Santa Clara - I love them- sophisticated show- THE BEST DRILL BOOK(IMHO)- please keep this direction

Madison is back- please no more upheavel

Phantom Regiment has made us all Spartacii! :!:

Afterthought: IMHO some of these show designers take themselves way 2 seriously, and Rondeneiro and Delucia, plus the bando guy, had me in stitches and were the perfect counterpoint in the broadcast, making this stuff FUN :D

Last edited by frankiE on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
Mark, which theater were you in? Up in Denver or in Colorado Springs (or somewhere else?)

I was at the AMC Promenade in Westminster (half way between Denver and Boulder). It was a easy 10 minute drive from work and 5 minute drive home. :lol: This was the first year that they had DCI there and it was a great turn out. The show was in a middle sized theather and was almost full. Good crowd and a fun time.

(Grr..How do you get the quotes to show up in those nice white boxes!)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Machine wrote:
Also, I just want to say that this has been the best group of performances, top to bottom, that DCI has ever fielded, IMO.

Amen! Whenever I see all of the corps together I start off thinking "It's increadible that this good a show is placing this low." As the night goes on it becomes more and more clear why the earlier corps are placing lower. Every year I am shocked by how good these kids can perform. So many corps make it look so effortless that we forget just how hard these shows are. Great job to all of the corps!! Keep it up.

Mark

(Sorry for the multiple replies. I was hoping to put all these in one, but can't seem to make it work.)

Post subject: Re: Seriously...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:20 am 
All Star
All Star

Teaves1112 wrote:
If anyone is actually under the perception that BD's 2008 program is even remotely musically complicated then you are seriously delusional. The same melody is played throughout the 10 minute show... wow... quarter notes and half notes DON'T OVER DO YOURSELVES BD! In defense of the Cavaliers Saucedo has produced a VERY comprehensive brass book this year. There is an immediate wall of sound put out at the beginning of the show, beautiful soprano solo's going on. Technical 16th note runs about a minute into the show. Not to mention their ability to match even when "pitch bending." Visually the Cavaliers remain untouched in my opinion.... horn players balancing on a non existent beam just doesn't do it for me.... or a stick figure made of..... sticks.... I would be happy with either Cavaliers or PR winning this year. Blue Devils just don't cut it for me.

I feel the same about Cavies. Cavies play when they are doing easy drill and save their velocity for only when they are not playing. The book is boring and many of the musical and visual ideas are old.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seriously...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Some more thoughts:

Cadets - It was strange that the actors did not also do the voices. For me it created a disconnect between their gestures and the words. I wonder if this was to prevent the need for wireless mikes that can short out. I was hopeful to catch Hopkins' comment that next year they are doing Bernstein. It was hinted that they may be heading back towards their roots.

Bluecoats - I agree that the narration was not needed for the story. Their show design and performance were both good enough to convey the story without the voice overs.

Blue Devils - A show does not need to be technical complicated to be musically good (although it can help). Phantom Regiments' peformance of Clair de Lune back in 1994 (and Carolina Crown's this year) can serve as an example of simple quarter notes and half notes that are musically challenging. Sometimes, and not just in ballads, it can be more challenging to get the energy and passion across to the crowd without showy technical licks. Personnally, I like it when there is a balance of the two.

Now before anyone bites my head off :oops: , I haven't heard Blue Devils show enough to say that they fall into this category. After some repeat listens, the show may fall completly flat for me and I will wholeheartly agree with Teaves1112. I just wanted to make the points that more notes does not necessarily make the better musical show.

I do agree with Teaves1112 completly regarding Cavaliers musical show. The pitch bending effect was increadible live. It's wonderful to be suprised by new sounds with the same instruments. It makes me think back to 2002 when the Cavaliers all clicked their valves in time to fit in with the percussion. Great and subtle effects.

Classic Moments - I loved the classic moments that they showed between some performances. It did make me feel a little bit old when they refered to performances in 2000 and the 90s as a "Classic Moments".

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:36 am 
All Star
All Star

Mark wrote:
(Grr..How do you get the quotes to show up in those nice white boxes!)

Mark

Make sure that "Disable BBCode in this post" is NOT checked. It should be the first option below the text entry window when you make a post.

I'll fix those for you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hostrauser wrote:
Make sure that "Disable BBCode in this post" is NOT checked. It should be the first option below the text entry window when you make a post.

Yeah! Thanks.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
My brief thoughts...

Video quality is suspect. Hope they can improve on that in future years.

I agree with this. There were times when the focus was off.

Quote:
Tom Blair's team is remarkable. Not perfect, but a very nice job of on the fly production.

Far from perfect, IMHO. How many closeups of the pit (when they aren't even playing) do we need? How many times was a battery ramming some notes while we watched a marimba player bop his/her head?

1983-1985 Spirit of Atlanta - #2 Bass
1999 CorpsVets - #2 Bass
-----------------------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 am 
Veteran
Veteran

But you have to remember that they have notes as to what could be a "moment" to catch on film...this is just a warmup so that the crew can really fine tune what will be on the Finals DVD

Blue Knights - Tuba Brass Tech, 2010
Woodland Park High School Director of Bands, 2006 - Current

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

Reg_Contra_95_99 wrote:
But you have to remember that they have notes as to what could be a "moment" to catch on film...this is just a warmup so that the crew can really fine tune what will be on the Finals DVD

Plus a live broadcast in infinitely more difficult than an edited multi-camera production. Choosing which camera to use on the fly vs. looking at all of the footage in post-production are vastly different disciplines. Shows are designed to be so complex. Even fans in the stands miss a lot of what's going on just because they can't focus on more than one area at a time. There is no "following the ball" like there is in sporting events.

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...