3 Colt Cadets 65.800
4 Racine Scouts 61.500
5 Dutch Boy 54.300

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: July 3 Cedarburg, WI Scores
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:20 am 
All Star
All Star

Now that I’ve had a decent night’s sleep, I want to share some general impressions of what I saw last night in Cedarburg. This isn’t a review as such – I didn’t take my pencil and paper into the stands to take notes. So, some corps will be left out.

OPEN CLASS

Congrats to Capital Regiment for simply being back on the field. I honestly thought this corps was dead and buried. Good for them. Decent size, and they play and march pretty well.

Major kudos to the Racine Scouts in knocking off Dutch Boy. It’s not that I follow them very closely, but my general impression is that they usually finish in last place. It must have felt good to beat someone.

WORLD CLASS

Pioneer – Better than in past years, but either the horns need to develop some more stamina or the drums need to play softer. Seems I have that general impression of them every year, and this is no exception.

Madison Scouts – Saw them low in South Milwaukee. My seats were high and on the 30 yard line this time, and I got a much better view this time. Really like the opener. Very aggressive playing and marching. The comedy in their 2nd number came through much better than in South Milwaukee. The ballad is good. The last two numbers, especially the closer, need revision in order for this show to blossom. My understanding is that those rewrites are going to be put in over the next week or two, starting when the corps is in Nebraska. Biggest plus for this corps in my eyes is that many of their toughest licks are played while moving, particularly the double tonguing in the opener. I hope they’re getting credit for that. For the record, I like the guard uniform. It certainly works with the theme, and it enhances the looks of even the chubbier members, unlike last year’s uniforms. I wouldn’t write this corps off yet. Let’s see what the rewrites bring.

Colts – Lots to like here. Recognizable music played very well. Beautiful use of color and very effective unison flag work by the guard. They really sparkle under the lights. Ebb Tide is gorgeous – the closest thing to the old concert number that you’re going to see in today’s DCI. My only concern is whether there is enough room for growth in this corps show. I had the same feeling watching them this year as I did last year – this corps will get passed by corps they are beating now.

Phantom Regiment – New uniforms really sparkle under the lights. Talent galore in all sections. My gripe is visual. Particularly in their opener when the theme is being passed from section to section, each section plays the theme while standing still. As good as they are, this is not a championship caliber show. I question if it is even a top 6 show.

Profile E-mail