DRUMS ALONG THE ROCKIES: LOVELAND AND DENVER EDITIONS

Scores:
Loveland:
1) 85.600 = The Cadets
2) 82.600 = Santa Clara Vanguard
3) 82.250 = Blue Knights
4) 76.100 = Glassmen
5) 74.450 = (TIE) Colts / Troopers
7) 58.988 = High Country Brass (All Age Corps)

Denver:
1) 88.000 = Blue Devils
2) 85.700 = The Cadets
2) 83.500 = Santa Clara Vanguard
3) 82.400 = Blue Knights
4) 77.650 = Glassmen
5) 74.900 = Colts
6) 74.250 = Troopers
7) 59.220 = High Country Brass (All Age Corps)

General:
1. Background/Venue/etc. = Refer to my previous reviews for this information.

2. Seating = For Loveland I was dead center on the 50 about 20 rows up. For Denver, I was on the club level (2nd tier of the stadium) just inside the 20.

3. Gripes = I could go on over a few gripes at both Loveland (2 hours into the show and we have only seen three corps because of two 20-30 minute “intermissions”) and Denver (scoring, placement, etc.). However, to focus on the positive, avoid political discussions, etc. I will stick with what I really liked….the performances.

4. Review = Since it is what most of you are interested in, I will only include the World Class corps in my review. Enjoy!

Reviews:
(In performance order)

1. Colts – “True Colors”

This corps was very solid out of the gate. Nice full sound. Very energetic show. The music is very syncopated, which I loved. Some audience members may have trouble connecting to it. The head tilt with the plumes at the end of the opener got a big reaction both nights. These guys blew me away in Loveland. In Denver, they were very good, but did not have the same impact higher up. Nice work!

2. Glassmen – “The Prayer Cycle”

The Glassmen’s show this year is definitely trying to create a mood, and they succeed. In Loveland I did not really get into their show until about halfway through. In Denver, I was hooked from the beginning. Their show reads much better higher up. I was surprised by the score gap between them and the Colts in Loveland, but after Denver it was clear that their show is more complex and cleaner. They have some neat effects with an amplified voice near the beginning, but it is not used heavily throughout. One of my favorite parts of the show is about halfway through. The guard has these swirly rifle like things with circles at either end (hard to describe!). The circles end up being drum heads that the drum line uses in a big musical and visual push. Great show!

3. Troopers – “Wanted”

The Troopers show this year did not have the same flow or emotional connection for me that they had last year. They have a wonderfully powerful low brass that they use quite well. I’m not sure if they will make it to finals, but they could. Either way it will be a tight race that will be fun to watch. The new uniforms work well and still retain some of the original look. They have a fantastic opening move that got a big reaction each night. Kind of like cascading lines dropping to the ground to pick up their horns and then back up to marching position. Great effect. Overall, I really enjoyed their show.

4. Blue Devils – “Through a Glass Darkly”

This one is hard to review. I respect that this is a difficult show that was performed well, but I just don’t think I liked it. The show incorporates 36 large, wheeled mirrors that move around during the show. It creates some great visual effects, but also clutters the field. There were some strong uses of the reflections, like when the brass members where passing in between the mirrors. It made it hard to tell which members where reflection and which where real. Unfortunately, when the mirrors where not the focus, the reflections just created additional visual noise that I found distracting. I am not a “drum corps purist” by any means. I just feel that these extra tools need to be used to enhance the drum corps experience, not distract from it. There were times I caught myself only watching the mirrors and missing the rest of the show. I think another disconnect for me on this show is the music. For me, it was just kind of there. It did not mesh with the visuals or flow throughout the show.

I think the lady in front of my summarized it best when she said, “Drum Corps should be a blend of sight, sound, and music. That was too focused on the sight.” I think that is what held this show back for me. It was so heavy on the visual that I lost the music. These are just my personal thoughts and I’m sure there where many there last night that would completely disagree. This is just one of those shows. There will be people that love it to pieces and others that don’t. Unfortunately, I just could connect to this show.

Hats off to the kids that performed the heck out of it. It is clearly challenging and performed at a top level.

5. Santa Clara Vanguard – “Bartok”

The Vanguard are at it again. They performed a complex, energetic, and challenging show that was a crowd pleaser. The music is all Bartok and works very well. The beginning starts off with basically four shows (one in each corner of the field) that build towards the middle of the field. When the shows combine there is a brief hit but that builds some more to a great moment where the corps seems to fly together into a tight diamond. Huge reaction each night. The corps then drops to its knees and does a great visual effect. It’s hard to describe, but reminded me of popcorn. This show is layered and right now there are some aspects which are just a little bit off. I think if they can clean these spots up, they should be strong through the season. I don’t see them pulling off a win (there are just too many great shows this year), but I see them sticking in the hunt. After the Blue Devils, their show seems uncluttered. For me, it demonstrated that you don’t need props, costume changes, amplified voice, etc. to entertain. They were also able to connect to the audience with some very different music. That is not easy to do. One of my favorites of the evening!

6. The Cadets – “Toy Souldier”

Great show. This show relies heavily on the story of a young boy and a group of toy soldiers. This show could easily go over that line into “too cheesy” territory, but it didn’t for me. I loved the music and the drill is insane in places. The guard uniforms match the corps for the opener which is a great effect. I’ve not seen that before. Great ballad! For me The Cadets are among the best at ballads and I loved this year’s too. Very lush and beautiful. In Denver, a few of the guards plumes fell off during the opener. I was afraid that someone would trip over them. The guard member playing “Little Jeffrey” ran over and picked them up and incorporated them into his performance (directing the corps with them and then tossing them off field). Fantastic improvising. This was the only show either night that got standing ovations during the show. A couple in front of me in Denver gave them three standing ovations. A fun show throughout and another one of my favorites!

7. Blue Knights – “Europa!”

Again this year, I was worried about the home town corps following the great performances of SCV and The Cadets. I’ve got to stop doing that. These guys blew me away. They are definitly among the elite. This is my favorite BK show of the last few years and definitely one of my favorites this year. The show is complex and layered but still very approachable. The music is great and their sound is fantastic. Very full and lush. Their ballad was gorgeous. The guard does several full costume changes seamlessly. Their guard work also meshes musically very well. I thought they may have closed the gap with SCV in Denver, but not quite. If they keep up the energy and quality of the show I see them sticking in the hunt for the higher placements come finals. Great job!

Encore Performance

Both nights the Blue Knights performed the encore performance. They did great. The show performed at stand still was beautiful and garnered another standing ovation from the crowd. In Loveland, they provided an encore to the Encore with “I’ve Got You Baby” sung and played with heart. It was a great way to thank the crowd and served as a wonderful coda to a great evening. In Denver, they performed “I’ve Got You Baby” following a surprise marriage proposal from the drum major to a horn player (she said yes) and it worked great for that moment too. The Encore performance did just what it should. It left the audience happy and entertained. Again, great job!

Final Thoughts

The Denver show is a perfect example of why I try not to pay too close attention to the scores. If I had I would have worked myself up over agreeing/disagreeing with the judging. I might of forgotten what I just got. A great night of drum corps from hundreds of hard working, energetic performers. You just can’t beat that! My deepest thanks to all of the performers for a great evening.

Post subject: Re: Loveland / Denver - July 9/10 - Scores and Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:04 am 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
Unfortunately, when the mirrors were not the focus, the reflections just create additional visual noise that I found distracting.

This is exactly my thought on the mirrors. BD uses them wonderfully for only a few effects, but after that, the contraptions resemble Stonehenge. Also, they are hardly used in the show's ending, so that makes me ask a question. What purpose do the mirrors have in the show other than a few Visual GE moments? It's certainly not to convey a story or their theme in matter of fact. Can the visual tricks be considered DARK? That's the spin of the show...through a glass darkly, so please explain it to me. How is a kaleidoscopic illusion during a drum feature DARK?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 pm 
All Star
All Star

Well as far as the mirrors - last years drum judge tape is on you tube. Its amazing. It says as follows' very hard environmental conditions" in a complement to the complexity the drumline faced....in moving in around the white chairs.

basically these props are an excuse at some sort of undeserved checkbox in the scoring system it seems to me. doesnt anyone judge marching and maneuvering anymore?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 am 
All Star
All Star

rysa4 wrote:
Well as far as the mirrors - last years drum judge tape is on you tube. Its amazing. It says as follows' very hard environmental conditions" in a complement to the complexity the drumline faced....in moving in around the white chairs.

basically these props are an excuse at some sort of undeserved checkbox in the scoring system it seems to me. doesnt anyone judge marching and maneuvering anymore?

After seeing this show, they "lifted" several moves from our 2009 WGI indoor drumline show. I know we didn't invent the concept, but it's still pretty weird to see them do what we did the previous year. And as I mentioned before, Scott Johnson judged us on numerous occasions. If I can locate a video, I'll post a link...

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

WE ARE SPARTACI wrote:
After seeing this show, they "lifted" several moves from our 2009 WGI indoor drumline show. I know we didn't invent the concept, but it's still pretty weird to see them do what we did the previous year.

Whenever I saw another group "lift" one of our moves, I always thought it was a sign that we were helping to "redefine the sport"... so... congratulations on redefining the sport with your WGI indoor drumline show. (Afterall, people don't "lift" bad moves.)

Mark