Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 July 17th Houston Texas Show Review
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 pm 
All Star
All Star

I got my first look at DCI up close this evening at Berry Stadium just outside Houston Texas...

1. Crown-

a. General Notes- I was expecting to be blown away by the show, the drumline, everything--based on the hype and recently consistently beating the Cadets. What to say. The show is strung together wow moments without the technical complexity needed to go much further than they are. They won't be finishing ahead of the Cadets at finals. The members are playing and marching great. The difficulty/demand factor is not there in drill, Mand M, and field drums. The show is too easy.

b. Drums- Similar to last year and the year prior, they don't take risks with their field drums. Anything resembling a difficult drum passage is usually played standing still or moving straight forward. The drumline has a lot of GE writing but not technical complexity. There is one thing the snare line does however that I think is very cool- they have this very long roll, which was performed cleanly, that gradually tapers off, drummer, by drummer, and I mean gradually. Very exposed. It was done very well. Bass drums really should a few feature moments but I recall none. Now the pit is another matter; they are getting progressively better each eyar up front I think. Its not the musical subtlety and technical expertise of Cadets Pit in years past, BUT it is musical and performed well. Lots of exposure in Candide opener, but just not complex. Talent wise, the pit appears even, which is exactly what you want. They phased two or three times either with each other or the field during the show, but that was nt bad. One part of the backfield has an unusual amount of cement behind it as opposed to the rest, and it can create trouble.

2. Cadets-

a. general notes- the show is pretty damn awesome frankly...once it actually gets going. I have the CD with and without the narration and so I get the point it "needs : to be in there. But I still don't care for it. I'd just rather appreciate the music and drill and colorguard rather than have to absorb a story. I was not born in the age of text messaging I guess. For the record, the gap in level of performance in all areas needed to do this show between Cadets and Crown cannot be overstated; its simplay faster, harder, and better. COme finals times, these two corps won't be close. There is just no way. Bad drop in the colorguard tonight--one of those "when everyone is watching things" - staff- get that bright red lifevest off that poor girl. That is a mistake and it caused the drop tonight as it got in the way of her catch. Dumb.

b. Field drums- damn good this year. Hotness. trying to recapture 2003 a little bit I thought and certain parts of style and presentation. Bass drum rolls and features are great. Quads are in the pocket. Snare line did pretty well tonight-- some inconsistencies. They could win drums even though they lag Bd, Cavaliers, and Bluecoats by comparative scores. The problem?- the pit. In past years, ther has been some damn cool stuff goin on up front. I thought this year they are weak, particualrly in the opening. Just unintersting to me. I like more dramaticism and hold your attention/breathe musicality when you are carrying the melody- however slow or subtle. It isnt there this year. This is where Cadets miss on percussion this year.

Part 2- in the next post!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'm not a drum guy, so I REALLY appreciate your perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:04 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thanks Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 am 
All Star
All Star

I was thinking the same thing. I tend to not notice percussion in terms of style of writing, their movement, etc. Good review.

Profile E-mail