Discussion covering all aspects of drum corps percussion

Moderator: The Moderating Team

rysa4
All Star
All Star

Akron Ohio show....

Post by rysa4 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 pm

... which I saw in the Cinema...

1. Blue Stars - Into the Blue show -- interesting color guard opening that gave the appearance of 3-D texture moving ( they basically started lying flat on the field connected and then moved upright - I thought it was a cool move) - OK anyway their drumline was a bit sloppy with a lot to work on for sure. I would have liked to have seen the corps play at lower volumes at times just to show they could do it -- the show basically moved at one tempo for most of the show. I thought their pit percussion played very well, with very exposed sixteenth note runs. very even sounding and together. The filed drums didn't groove to me though.

2. Carolina Crown --- the writing for the field drums is interesting ( Thom Hannum) but kinda overwritten with very exposed attacks coming out of nowhere particularly in the first ha;lf of the show. Some crazy writing for sure. They were missing stuff everywhere. Lots of exposure to error for sure. It would be a miracle if they could pull this off but its only the first show got a long way to go. The line did not groove.

So lets cut to the chase - which lines grooved tonight? The cavaliers grooved and so did the Bluecoats ( my favorite line of the night) - the cadets get honorable mention for close to grooving. They played pretty darn well.

3. Phantom - well their line still is a far cry from where it was two years ago before the staffing change. Horn line is very very good in my opinion with a solid drill too. The field drum writing isn't as challenging as their past years.

Placement - I saw at the end that the Cadets had the highest score with Phantom in second. Remarkable since the cadets show isn't even finished yet ( neither was the Cavies).

I thought the Bluecoats won the show musically with the Cadets winning visually. ( I think that this isn't even close to what the judges had but it was just how it hit me)

Anyway it was a good night for drum corps.

cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Akron Ohio show....

Post by cavies79 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 pm

All I can say is "it's early and anything can happen between now and August".
Dennis O. Eveland
Composer/ Arranger/ Band Director
Cavalier Alumni
Laredo, Texas

rysa4
All Star
All Star

Re: Akron Ohio show....

Post by rysa4 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

yes its early and every line will improve, but its tough to turn around a line that is in a relatively bad place at the beginning of the season - gettin drum lines ready for tour is so key.