The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:55 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

BD 96 hands down. Or scouts 99 the opening hit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:48 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Madison 99 was certainly one of the loudest Madison hornlines in a looooong time... how about them mellos with the sustain from the back of the field?

Star 93 was also exceptionally loud. No, they weren't loud often, but if the CDs' levels are accurate at all, they were definitely the loudest that year, and by a decent margin.

After the 1996 season, I asked the same question at RAMD. Since everyone had talked about how loud BD was that year, I had heard people say that 86 BD was even louder. Then, someone mentioned 1980 Sprit as hands down the loudet ever.

That would've been a lot of fun :lol:

Now, about DCA....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:22 pm 
All Star
All Star

Picture it, 1979, mid season, our buses make it, but our equipment/uniform truck is about 100 miles back - broken down. We are staying - I'm not quite sure if it's the same school or if there are 2 schools within a 2 acre area.

We are lined up, the rifle line has there equipment, about the only pieces that are carried on the bus all of the time. We haven't eaten, we haven't showered, we have just driven for 11 hours, and we are going to do a few run throughs. We are lined up exactly like 1980, flags in a huge arc, rifles in a straight line, the whole horn line just behind us in tight lines, and the drum line. The drum major give the last dress center dress, and from over a hill we hear Georgia--------------------Georgia-----------------, the whole day through..................

I can still see the rifle I am looking at as we're dressing center, then I look at Gerard the drum major, and we're all about to weep, we're standing there broken in spirit, and broken by Spirit, and that Spririt horn line opens wide and pushes us back about 10 yards. It was one of those times that you just cannot believe what you're hearing and you think what a cruel, cruel world. Then you realize, even if we had our horns we probably would have done dry run thoughs, not to embarass ourselves!! :oops:

We could not see them nor could they see us....I still don't know if any of them know how we felt that afternoon....not having a loud hornline to begin with, but also not having the actual horns or the drums present was an even sadder site!

Of course the mighty 12 woman rifle line - there with our equipment and once back to reality were so P.O.ed ready to take on anyone. I'm still not sure to this day where we were or if we stayed at the same school, but I do remember that 1980 was louder than 79, and had it happened in 80, I don't believe we would have been as astounded, by then we were used to "that" Spirit horn line.....

I have a lot of stories about Spirit but 2 stories that are funny, Ms. Malibu knows both, 1 is about a question I asked one of their drummers, and the other which happened in 78 or 79 was a question from one of their guard ladies to me. Of all of the women in all the guards in all the world, she had to pick me to ask....look at the color guard corner some day soon and find out just how evil guards can be :^^: :jedi:!! Oh my....... Or just how different people can be from the same coast!! Very odd indeed...

"the one in the busbee"
Nancy V.
LancerFi

Post subject: my picks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

i havent seen a lot of shows in person, but here are my personal picks...

phantom this year was intense and daaaaaaaaaaaaark....it gave me goosebumps when i heard the ending of the show

madison: i think the scouts reach a new level of loud everytime they try to push it.....95 (nuff said)....99 after the drum break (i almost lost my dinner) 2001 balance...this past year i thought that madison's sound relied more upon the low brass sounds than the high brass...this made them dark

oh yeah you guys about star 93 being the loudest sho ever...if you listen closely to all the recordings from that year, youll find out that Star's recording is slightly more tame (softer) than everyone elses....hmmm did they have to turn the sound levels down specifically for them??? makes you go HHMMMMM doesnt it...

OAS AAS LLS!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Madison Scouts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:55 pm 
All Star
All Star

Madison Scouts... yeah testosterone will do that.
and awe c'mon... my favorite corps in blue tops and white bottoms can really crank out some sounds. :wink:

but honestly the Blue Devils have to get my #1 vote for this topic.
I hear some say that the Devils have only two volumes... and quite frankly I have to ask anyone who may think such a thing if they have ever heard the Bluedevils live?
the Devils are balanced from top to bottom at all volumes (and they do in fact play superb PPP volumes with style and grace). Yes sir... when you hear that hornline you have to place them in a class unique to only them. And the great thing about the devils maneating method is that it has been consistantly present ever single year since the very beginning.

"loud and louder"... POSH!!!! that corps is as refined as a loaf of white bread! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Machine wrote:
I can't remember well enough from year to year to tell which was the loudest. But, I think that BD, PR, and XMen generated the most volume this year. Funny thing about BD.... everyone talks about Madison only having two volumes (loud and really loud), I swear BD is just as guilty of this as well. Seems like their definition of playing soft means to play fewer horns at full volume!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think BD is pretty well balanced in most years. However, I thought their '99 show had only one volume - really loud. I remember hearing them in Madison, and thinking that was one of their worst musically written shows ever. Then when I got the recordings, I thought the arrangements were well written and melodic, they were just played at one volume. I still have a hard time listening to that show. Even my wife noticed it. I had the '99 CD playing when she got home one evening. It was on the BD show, and after a couple minutes of listening, she asked "Who the heck is this? They are obnoxious!". Several minutes into SCV's show she then stated, "Now this I can enjoy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Any Devils corps from the 80's cranked the volume WAY past 10 and left a strange ringing sensation in your ears when they left the field.

Contra Bass 89

Post subject: Loud Horn Lines
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:18 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

During my years.....or "Back in the day" in reverse order: (Editorial comment on my part--just my opinion)

5. NY Skyliners '65 (Jersey City,NJ)
4. tie Argonne Rebels '72 (WhiteH20) & Atlanta '80(Birmingham, Alab.)
3. Madcity Scouts '75 (CYO Boston)
2.Hawthorne Cabs '65(Jersey City, NJ)

and Number 1...

1. Conn. Huricannes '65 or any show-any time!
They could blow your clothes off 75 rows up in Denver!

What musical ensemble is the sexist of all time? The ensemble that would or could make you feel warm inside?

My favorites include:

BD-"DINDI"
SCV-"IF YOU BELEIVE", "FIDDLER", "P.O. OPERA", "MISS SAIGON"...ETC
CADETS-"WESTSIDE -MARIA"
KINGSMEN-CLOSER '74 FROM TOWER OF POWER
27TH LANCERS-"DANNYBOY"
CAVIES-"SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW"
AGRONNE REBELS-"LOVE STORY"
ATLANTA-"LET IT BE ME"
TROOPERS-"BLACK SADDLES"

THE SUMMER IS HERE, SO CHEER FOR EVERY CORPS TO PERFORM THEIR BEST!

JAMES ELVORD
FRENCH HORN/ BARITONE
MADTOWN SCOUTS '62-'70
BUS DRIVER/UNDER THE COVERS WITH MANY CORPS
'70-'80

Post subject: Re: Loudest Horn Lines
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:52 pm 
All Star
All Star

JAYSCOUT99 wrote:
As long as we are talking about longest chords...let see who everybody thinks is the, and has the loudest hornline on average. I know it really doesn't matter how loud you are, but it still gives me goose bumps to hear a loud line.
My vote goes to...Madison 75
On average...BD, MAdison, Coats, and SCV(2000)
Jay

Add 1994 BLUE KNIGHTS... VERY LOUD, VERY CLEAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:06 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

THIS IS A NO BRAINER............

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA 1979-1982

BigMo
a.k.a. SpiritDad 97-99

:wav:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:17 pm 
All Star
All Star

Bridgemen 1978
Spirit of Atlanta 1980
Blue Devils 1984
Star of Indiana 1993
Madison Scouts 1995

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:38 pm 
All Star
All Star

Sean wrote:
I think BD is pretty well balanced in most years. However, I thought their '99 show had only one volume - really loud. I remember hearing them in Madison, and thinking that was one of their worst musically written shows ever. Then when I got the recordings, I thought the arrangements were well written and melodic, they were just played at one volume. I still have a hard time listening to that show. Even my wife noticed it. I had the '99 CD playing when she got home one evening. It was on the BD show, and after a couple minutes of listening, she asked "Who the heck is this? They are obnoxious!". Several minutes into SCV's show she then stated, "Now this I can enjoy."

I could not have summed it up better. You nailed it right on the head.

Leland wrote:
Madison 99 was certainly one of the loudest Madison hornlines in a looooong time... how about them mellos with the sustain from the back of the field?

Now, about DCA....

I was at the 1999 Finals and got to hear a ton of great shows. One of the best was from the Syracuse Brigadiers. They were BY FAR the loudest corps I heard all week. They blew Madison '99 and BD '99 off the field in terms of volume.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:40 pm 
All Star
All Star

Phantom Phan wrote:
I was at the 1999 Finals and got to hear a ton of great shows. One of the best was from the Syracuse Brigadiers. They were BY FAR the loudest corps I heard all week. They blew Madison '99 and BD '99 off the field in terms of volume.

Oh yeah, and they weren't just loud, they were damn good, too. I wished DCA had a west coast swing on their tour. I would love to be able to catch some of those DCA corps every couple of years. More than the Renegades, I mean (not slighting them: I want MORE). :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:05 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Atlanta, 1980.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:13 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Star of Indiana 1992 and 1993....period. Them and Blue Devils are the best corps. ever to play loud and in tune with good tone quality, which makes it even louder. Some of these corps. you mention were never successful at producing these sounds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next