The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: loudest
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:12 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

vomitbunny wrote:
I think I can probably get someone to vouch for me on this. Spirit was really loud in 79, but the Guardsmen probably matched them that year, believe it or not.

You may be correct in regards to decibel levels but definitely NOT correct for quality of sound. :-) Sorry dude!

Lead Soprano 1989 - 90
CorpsVets
Lead Soprano 2002 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

CCAlto wrote:
Star of Indiana 1992 and 1993....period. Them and Blue Devils are the best corps. ever to play loud and in tune with good tone quality, which makes it even louder. Some of these corps. you mention were never successful at producing these sounds.

Yeah, I'd agree with you.

:)

"Without Music, Life would be Mistake"
-Friedrich Nietzchi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

cavie95 wrote:
That 80 Spirit press box story is just an urban legend.

Loudest hornline I ever heard live as Star 93. Texarkana show and finals.

I feel that Texarcana was possibly our best show that year

"Without Music, Life would be Mistake"
-Friedrich Nietzchi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Here are some of my picks for loudest horn lines, from what I can remember (no particular order)....

1. 88' Bluecoats

2. 88' Vanguard

3. 88' Scouts

4. 90' Star

5. 93' Star

6. 96' Phantom

7. 95' Scouts

8. 99' Devils

9. 99' Scouts

10. 93' Devils

11. 00' Vanguard

12. 95' Cavies

I guess that doesn't really narrow it down...sorry :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:16 pm 
All Star
All Star

Cardman wrote:
Here are some of my picks for loudest horn lines, from what I can remember (no particular order)....

1. 88' Bluecoats
2. 88' Vanguard
3. 88' Scouts
4. 90' Star
5. 93' Star
6. 96' Phantom
7. 95' Scouts
8. 99' Devils
9. 99' Scouts
10. 93' Devils
11. 00' Vanguard
12. 95' Cavies

I guess that doesn't really narrow it down...sorry :oops:

Normally, I stay out of these discussions since my experience is limited compared to others that have a longer/more complete record of attendance. Nevertheless, I feel I can comment on this particular list a bit.

Quote:
1. 88' Bluecoats 2. 88' Vanguard 3. 88' Scouts

Of the ones you've got here, I remember SCV being pretty strong (^_^), but Phantom and BD were close to that level as well. Madison was a step above them all. Bluecoats were full-sounding, but not really that "powerful."

Quote:
4. 90' Star
Well, yeah. Phantom was... but Star... yeah. Next:

Quote:
5. 93' Star 10. 93' Devils
Mmmm, hard to say from what I saw. Star was loud for about thirty seconds, a few of the others were loud and strong for their whole shows, Cadets and BD among them. I'll give that Star briefly topped the meter for highest decible level recorded on Finals night, though.

Quote:
7. 95' Scouts 12. 95' Cavies
Ahh, the ultimate brassline conundrum: would you rather listen to sheer volume, or sheer brilliance? Certainly there was some quality to Madison's sound, but so too was there some FORCE behind what the Cavies did. Who wins? I dunno..... I'm guessing Madison on sheer decibles (one or two).

Quote:
6. 96' Phantom
Yup. Coulda listed some others here, but that would have been prolonging the obvious.

Quote:
8. 99' Devils 9. 99' Scouts
Once again sheer force and will-power make the list, thanks to a dose of quality added in. People wondered why Madison got "the shaft" in the '90's. The fact is they were loud... and mostly, that was IT! Just loud. 1999 saw them loud and pretty good, too, for a change. BD was just plain BD, smooth like a sharp knife. Dark horse: anyone remember SCV putting out some wattage this year as well?

Quote:
11. 00' Vanguard
And didn't that one chord in Adagio just go on FOREVER the first time you saw it? :drop:

For loudest of this bunch I'm going to go with Madison of 88 to win, '96 Phantom to place, and '00 SCV to show (over '93 Star thanks to that whole "overall loudness" thingy), and honorable mentions to the 1993 versions of BD and Star.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:05 am 
All Star
All Star

Dave B wrote:
Quote:
Once again sheer force and will-power make the list, thanks to a dose of quality added in. People wondered why Madison got "the shaft" in the '90's. The fact is they were loud... and mostly, that was IT! Just loud. 1999 saw them loud and pretty good, too, for a change. BD was just plain BD, smooth like a sharp knife. Dark horse: anyone remember SCV putting out some wattage this year as well?

Yeah, SCV was loud, especially on Finals night. They definitely found an extra gear. The GMen put out a great sound that year, too.

Dave B wrote:
Quote:
11. 00' Vanguard
And didn't that one chord in Adagio just go on FOREVER the first time you saw it? :drop:

For me, the chord that goes on forever is that power bomb Phantom drops on the audience in the middle of their 1995 show (right before the Piano concerto section). That chord was, what, 10-15 seconds long or so? It was outstanding. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:35 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

1979 and 1980 Spirit of Atlanta were very loud. However, hearing Spirit at a standstill in Tennessee in 1978 really gave me goosebumps.....they were extremely loud. The Bridgemen intro in 78 was also ballsy....they were staged near the front sideline. Overall, Madison 1975 was THE loudest in history....what was that decibal reading again????

Felix Hernandez
Lead Baritone/Euphonium
Alumni
1977-78 Anaheim Kingsmen
1979 Blue Devils

1979 Blue Devils - DCI Champions

Ballsy Hornline Coming To A Stadium Near You in 2006!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:10 am 
Veteran
Veteran

My best loud hornline is:

1. 88' Bluecoats
5. 93' Star
6. 96' Phantom
8. 99' Devils
10. 93' Devils
11. 00' Vanguard
12. 95' Cavies

:P 8-) :lol: :D :roll:

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Those that come to mind first would be '75 Madison, '72 Argonne, '96 Blue Devils, and '04 SCV.

For best balance and intonation, Star about any year, '85 Suncoast Sound, Blue Devils about any year, Spirit during the Jim Ott years, SCV during many of their years.

Going back in time there were some pretty good lines that were significantly smaller that could blow your ears back. '68 and '69 Kilties, '69-'71 St. Paul Scouts, '71 and '72 Oskosh Warriors (28 brass and very talented) and '72 Bleu Raeders (33 brass).

My old corps, the Osage Precisionnaires, marched anywhere from 43-48 brass in the mid 70's and were known for volume/size. Many judges in '75 commented on the tapes "where are all of the horns, I can hear them".

All of the above mentioned lines were able to put out the volume while still maintaining good balance and intonation (as good as it got in those days).

Precisionnaires, '70-'74

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: loudest hornlline
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:55 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I remember hearing the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta and would have to say they are probably the loudest hornline I've ever heard. A few others that are close include: 1979 Madison Scouts (the ending of "The way we were"), 1979 Guardsmen on "Tiger of San Pedro", and 1996 Phantom Regiment (what a low brass line).

I'm sure there are many others, but these are favorites for sheer power and volume.

Dennis :)

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm 
All Star
All Star

Phantom Phan wrote:
Dave B wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, SCV was loud, especially on Finals night. They definitely found an extra gear. The GMen put out a great sound that year, too.

Dave B wrote:
Quote:
11. 00' Vanguard

I do remember SCV putting out some volume, especially near the end of the show, but I also remember the quality dropping majorly at that point.

This is an entirely different can of worms, but this is why I felt BD deserved 99 outright. They maintained their quality of sound and marching while pushing the volume. SCV's sound suffered tremendously near the end of their finals night performance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:28 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I nominate the DCM All Stars in the Orange Bowl parade some years back. Talk about loud, spectators standing along the parade route were in awe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:26 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

What about the '94 27th Lancers Alumni Corps at DCI ????????
Not only did you have about 27,000 horns but about 27,000 hearts to go with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:42 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What about the '94 27th Lancers Alumni Corps at DCI ????????
Not only did you have about 27,000 horns but about 27,000 hearts to go with it!
[quote]

...boy, you ain't kiddin'! I was in the box for that one and the place shook! Actually, since older people have had mention, I can vouch for an up front and personal at The Dream in '75 where I got to hang on the sideline: The Skyliners knocked me out like no other before or since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:31 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Charley,
Do you remember me...???
OHS Tuba (Ziggy Jr. days), Kingsmen Contra, West Coast express(w/ziggy jr.) - just kind of hung out....Man it seemed were ever I was marching you were laying out the drill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next