Discussion topics covering the brass player's experiences and needs

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Mister E Man
New Recruit
New Recruit

Who makes the best mellophone?

Post by Mister E Man » Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:53 pm

This is actually two questions.
(1) In your opinion which manufaturer makes the best marching mellophone?
(2) What's a good mellophone for those of us with limited budgets?

bluestarcontra
Veteran
Veteran

Hmm...

Post by bluestarcontra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:57 pm

"Best" is perhaps not the right word. "Least crappy" would probably work better, since the midvoices in drum corps, no matter what, all suck in some way. In that case, Kanstul would be your grand prize winner.
Dave Seip
Tuba, University of North Texas
Contra, Blue Stars D&BC 00-03
http://www.thebigdog.cjb.net
KKPsi-BT alumnus
"Do you hear that? That's the clue phone...and it's ringing for you."

Ramagar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hmm...

Post by Ramagar » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:06 pm

bluestarcontra wrote:"Best" is perhaps not the right word. "Least crappy" would probably work better, since the midvoices in drum corps, no matter what, all suck in some way. In that case, Kanstul would be your grand prize winner.

Bah, they are all ..ok. I prefer the DEG myself. Has more to do with the horn player than the horn.

Rich
PR 86-89

Joe Smith
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Joe Smith » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:19 pm

of course big dog has to put his opinion on it. Are the low voices the only good ones big dog? I'd love to hear you do the F-tuning again. I personally prefer Deg's myself as a mello player a bit more but it's all personal opinion really. and you're looking about 700 to 750 retail last I knew

Russell
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Russell » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:40 pm

If you're looking at F mellophones the King 1120 is by far the better horn. I've played almost all and found tuning problems in all the horns but the King. It is so good I even bought one for myself. If you're looking at G bugles, Deg and Kansul play about the same, it only depends what kind of tone you're looking for. If you you really want to go old school, the King 2 valve bugle was the best. I don't blame Star for hanging on to theirs while everyone else when 3V.

Tommy Lee Maddox
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tommy Lee Maddox » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:11 pm

"... since the midvoices in drum corps, no matter what, all suck in some way..."

Ever hear Spirit of Atlanta '78 through '80?

Find a bunch of piston/rotor Olds Ultratone mellophones. They can be played in tune so long as you have players that can LISTEN TO EACH OTHER.
Tommy Lee Maddox
A Face In The Crowd

kanstulbrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Hmm...

Post by kanstulbrass » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:05 pm

bluestarcontra wrote:"Best" is perhaps not the right word. "Least crappy" would probably work better, since the midvoices in drum corps, no matter what, all suck in some way. In that case, Kanstul would be your grand prize winner.

Not sure if that is a compliment, but Kanstul makes the best marching mellophone. Any key.

Oh, and those Olds Ultratone piston/rotor mellos...made by Kanstul.

Kanstul is also developing a marching tenor horn, based on the British Tenor (traditional brass band instrument). It has the elegant sound of the tenor, bell front, great intonation, greater range than the mellophone and easier to play than the french horn. Tell you more about it later...
Charles Hargett
Sales & Marketing Manager
Kanstul Musical Instruments