Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phantom Regiment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:02 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Does anyone here see PR in the top 4? With their recent win over SCV (the previous corps in the 4th slot) I think they can do it. Who knows, maybe even a top three finish ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:24 am 
All Star
All Star

I think it's a definite possibility. Won't come without a lot of hard work though. The Big 4 aren't going down without a fight!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My Take
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:48 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

True that it'll be tough to do, but since they did beat SCV (one of their competitors in past years) I think they have a shot. I don't know about top three, they have yet to beat Cavies/Cadets and BD. But you never know. I think it was 98 when the Cadets went from I think 3rd or 5th in quarter-finals, to 1st on finals night.

Post subject: Re: My Take
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:02 pm 
All Star
All Star

westtrumpet05 wrote:
True that it'll be tough to do, but since they did beat SCV (one of their competitors in past years) I think they have a shot. I don't know about top three, they have yet to beat Cavies/Cadets and BD. But you never know. I think it was 98 when the Cadets went from I think 3rd or 5th in quarter-finals, to 1st on finals night.

Yes, but keep in mind that when the Cadets finished 3rd at Quarters it was their worst show of the season. Heck, they only finished 2nd four times the entire year, and finished first the other 30 times.

The Cadets were dominant in 1998. Phantom isn't quite dominant right now. I think Phantom has a legitimate shot at 3rd in 2003, but no higher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My Take
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:11 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

True, but PR is doing alright. I believe their last score was .05 from the Cadets, no easy feat. I dunno though, only time will tell.

Post subject: Re: My Take
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

[quote="Phantom Phan"][quote="westtrumpet05"] Phantom isn't quite dominant right now. I think Phantom has a legitimate shot at 3rd in 2003, but no higher.[/quote]

I would have to argee with you. Right now I think Phantom could take the 3rd spot.

Winston
SCV 95-96

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:03 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Well, actually, they've dropped down a bit score-wise, so 4th seems better in reach. That is, if scores remain consistent. If they improve at a slightly faster rate than they have been, they could take 3rd think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:56 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Any thoughts as to PR's recent score spike? That and beating out the Cadets (i know it was 2 different competitions, but PR had a point lead). I'm not saying it'll keep headed in that direction, though I'd kind of like to see a competition with Cadets and Phantom ....

Post subject: Cadets vs. Phantom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:08 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

The way things are looking lately with the Cadets I'd say Phantom has an Excellent chance of not only rivaling but out scoring the Cadets, what's going on with those jersey boys and girls?
I think we'll get a good idea of what it'll be like when Phantom and Cadets finaly do meet up after tomorrow's show in OK headlining BD and Cavies.

here's how...

-on July 15th there was a 3.90 point spread between the Cavaliers and Cadets

-on July 12th there was a 2.65 point spread between BD and Phantom

So if BD beats the Cavaliers in OK we can make a good guess that Phantom will beat the Cadets when they go head to head,

if the Cavies beat BD who knows what will happen.

of course this is assuming all corps had pretty average performances on those nights, and assuming BD and Cavies perform their average tomorrow. and assuming Phantom and the Cadets have pretty average shows when they finaly go head to head. A lot of speculation, but I can't see any better way to guess it.

keep in mind this is NOT comparing scores from different shows, just point differences which mean a lot more than a single number.

I love both of these corps! I've got a finger crossed for both of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:01 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Now there is a two point gap between PR and the Cadets. If it holds, PR may yet take third. Dunno who'll take first(BD or Cavies most likely). They're in competition in about a week and a half (maybe two) at Nightbeat, so we'
ll see then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:59 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I think Phantom can definitely take top three. I also think they may have a shot at BD or Cavies because they seem to be closing the gap on the top 2. I think the top 4 could all come down to finals week. However that's just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:15 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I think one thing that may also have an effect of either Regiment or Cadets, is the amount of show/rehearsal days each has. I know that Cadets had around 5 show days in a row coming into San Antonio, and have heard they will have about 4-5 straight days of rehearsal, without a show. I honestly dont know about Regiment's rehearsal schedule. Sometimes that can have an effect, even if its just a little.
Just my opinion.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:08 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Unfortunately, PR has fallen behind the Cadets, if only slightly. Maybe they just had a bad show, or the Cadets had a really good one. I'm kinda sad to see PR start to fall back behind, but I eagerly await the next time the corps meet in competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

westtrumpet05 wrote:
Unfortunately, PR has fallen behind the Cadets, if only slightly. Maybe they just had a bad show, or the Cadets had a really good one. I'm kinda sad to see PR start to fall back behind, but I eagerly await the next time the corps meet in competition.

Phantom Regiment is in the unenviable position of having to PROVE, WITHOUT DOUBT, that they belong above SCV and the Cadets, that they deserve to be scaring the top two right now. The best way to do that at a big show, unfortunately (and it's the same reason BD is still a hair behind the Cavies), is to beat up on the corps you're trying to knock off by about a half point in every subcaption. If you CAN do this, the judges will usually recognize your accomplishment... by putting you about a tenth or so above the previously favored corps. :roll:

To Phantom's advantage, though, is the fact that they have a SHOW to work with (by all accounts) in addition to their surge in performance quality. The Cadets, well, they're pretty good. That's it, though, they're just pretty good. I just don't see that show making a whole lot of noise. They deserve Top Five, but having heard the buzz about everyone else, I'm not sure if they deserve more this time around.

The Cadets are going to NEED their Finals week push to stay off of the bottom of that top group, and the fact that the judges are keeping Phantom within a half-point or so not only shows their recognition of Phantom's progress this year, but also leaves the door open for further movement (up OR down) by either corps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:42 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Any thought as to PR's recent slow down? They actually lost points for a while I think, I'm glad to see them back on the upswing. They're gonna have to pull it out to beat out SCV now though (and maybe even the Cadets).