The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Mellophone Section for 2003?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

What Corps this season has the Best Mellophone sections this season that youv'e heard?

SEATTLE CASCADES this year is one of a few this year that has one of the most Challenging Horn Books this season. They are the Workhorses for the Corps and MAN CAN THEY PLAY. If there Were Indidvidual Horn Section Awards Given out MELLOPHONE Would go to SEATTLE CASCADES this year. If you haven't had a Chance to See The Corps or hear them..It's a True Experience. I haven't heard a Mid Horn Section Like that In Quite sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:28 pm 
All Star
All Star

That mello line seems to be Seattle's bread and butter this year. The quintassential (sp?) mellophone corps is usually Cadets (and Star way back when). BD and Scouts have the sops, while PR has the low brass. I wonder if it is because the kids of that talent flock to that particular corps or if it's just the way the staff envisions and therefore creates its own distinctive sound.

Sounds like an idea for a doctoral thesis.......

Post subject: Re: Best Mellophone Section for 2003?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:35 pm 
All Star
All Star

Zeke wrote:
What Corps this season has the Best Mellophone sections this season that youv'e heard?

SEATTLE CASCADES this year is one of a few this year that has one of the most Challenging Horn Books this season. They are the Workhorses for the Corps and MAN CAN THEY PLAY. If there Were Indidvidual Horn Section Awards Given out MELLOPHONE Would go to SEATTLE CASCADES this year. If you haven't had a Chance to See The Corps or hear them..It's a True Experience. I haven't heard a Mid Horn Section Like that In Quite sometime.

That post strikes me as a little bit... um... "homer-ish."

I *HAVE* seen Seattle this year, but my vote for best mid-horn section would go to Phantom Regiment. In 2003, Phantom is putting out a horn sound the likes of which I have not heard in person for many, many years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:08 pm 
All Star
All Star

Phantom Phan wrote:
Phantom is putting out a horn sound the likes of which I have not heard in person for many, many years.

That's true. When I'm frothing at the mouth just listening to a webcast, you know it's a good line.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:11 pm 
All Star
All Star

Phantom Phan wrote:
Zeke wrote:

I *HAVE* seen Seattle this year, but my vote for best mid-horn section would go to Phantom Regiment. In 2003, Phantom is putting out a horn sound the likes of which I have not heard in person for many, many years.

Aww, come on. . .his post was no more "homerish" than your own. (but I agree with your assessment) :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:19 am 
All Star
All Star

TXMystreaux wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:

Aww, come on. . .his post was no more "homerish" than your own. (but I agree with your assessment) :D

What do you mean? I'm not from Illinois. I live in NorCal. SCV territory, baby! :razz: :lol:

Okay, in all seriousness, I try not to be a homer and let my love for Phantom cloud my judgement. I've seen BD, SCV, Phantom, Seattle, BK, PacCrest, Mandarins and the Troopers this year, and Phantom had the best horn sound out of the group (but BD wasn't very far behind; one of those two should take the caption at Finals). :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:42 am 
All Star
All Star

I completely agree. It just seems some years screwy things happen with brass scores on finals night. 2001 comes to mind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:56 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I think Cavies had the best section, if only they had more material to be featured. When they opened up and played, no one had the volume, intonation, and tone quality they did. Overall, I'd have to give the nod to Phantom. Speaking of Phantom's mellos, has anyone play the new King 1121? I know the 1120 is a great horn but I have not tried the new model. I curious to know how it plays.

Russell