The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, I played on a shilke for while, and they sound great. It also seemed easier to play in the higher ranges. I like the 1 (I guess it might eb equivalent to a 1A maybe) though. I can usually play for about 5-6 hours a day on it if need be, though, at the end I concede that I'm pretty wasted out.

This is gonna sound absolutely gooberish, but, any thoughts on jet tones? I've heard they're pretty horrid, but I'm thinking of getting one just for the sake of novelty (not planning on using it for any kind of concert playing obviously, maybe just after halftime, and yes, I do still have to play at halftime unfortunately).

Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for all of the feedback, but I have another question. Is it looked well upon if you can do extra things with your sound? That was phrased pretty poorly I realize, but I mean, do the audition committees (bad terminology?) look highly on things like triple-tounging, lip trills, etc.? Granted, it wouldn't be smart to go in with the "show-off stuff" being the basis of an audition, but it might earn extra brownie points towards the audition, right?

Just wondering, sorry to sound dumb, and thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:48 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

At this time of the year, some drum corps may be looking for....maybe not the most proficient brass player, but maybe someone who is able to "fill a spot". We all have seen very good musicians who have 3 left feet, weight problems, or an attitude that keeps him/her from doing all the physical things (other than playing the notes) that are demanded for the visual presentation. While all corps all audition for musicianship, they also audition for marching/visual ability.

To anyone trying out for a corps...Yes, be on top of the music part of the activity, but also be in good physical shape and attitude for the visual end of the activity.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:31 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again for the feedback.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:56 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TrumpetGuy05 wrote:
Thanks again for the feedback.

TrumpetGuy05....I couldn't help noticing your high school letters.....would they perhaps stand for "South Johnston and West Johnston High Schools?" Just curious... :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

It sounds like you're still trying to figure it out before you act. (I do the same thing myself, so I totally understand.)

But truly, you won't be able to get all of your ducks in a row before you start calling corps. Jump in with both feet and I assure you that you'll have the answers before long.

So here's my challenge for you. Sit down tonight, tomorrow, and decide which corps catch your attention... or is close to home/school... or might have openings in the horn line (you know, Top 12 lines are set, so try lower Division I corps, or Division II, III corps). Call or email each of them each of them by Thursday and see who needs or wants you. They'll tell you what skill sets and type of applicant they're looking for.

Find corps on DCI.org, call or email, go to the next camp, audition, and keep a good attitude. Then report back to us ('cause we care!) and tell us what happened.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:12 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Here's a key:

Everybody was a rookie. EVERYBODY.

They know what it's like to not know anything about marching corps, and will know how to teach you about it.

Don't worry about a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again, I wasn't much planning on trying out this year, though next summer looks great (Crown and Crossmen and semi-closeby.)

This goes to Malibu-
Yes, as it would so happen, I marched at South Johnston, and am currently a member of West. Why do you ask? From around here (as a much as "around here" can be, not much here.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:11 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

TrumpetGuy05 wrote:
Thanks again, I wasn't much planning on trying out this year, though next summer looks great (Crown and Crossmen and semi-closeby.)

This goes to Malibu-
Yes, as it would so happen, I marched at South Johnston, and am currently a member of West. Why do you ask? From around here (as a much as "around here" can be, not much here.)

Cool...your new high school is very beautiful! I'd tell ya how I know, but then I would have to shoot you. :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:45 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

A Jet Tone, you ask?

These make excellent sinkers for deep sea fishing, in my opinion. They are positively horrid for drum corps because they "back up" severely when you push the required amount of air through to get your sound to the GE box.

Every so often, there is a player who can get a good sound from these. I am reminded of a young man in the Avavt Garde, years ago. Mostly, however, they are only useful in a studio setting when your sound needs to reach only as far as a microphone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:55 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

FD wrote:
A Jet Tone, you ask?

These make excellent sinkers for deep sea fishing, in my opinion. They are positively horrid for drum corps because they "back up" severely when you push the required amount of air through to get your sound to the GE box.

Plenty of sizzle for minimum effort, which isn't the kind of sound a drum corps hornline likes to make. Better to have that fat body of sound first, and then crank it up.

There are certainly instances where a studio player uses equipment that seems louder with the same effort as other gear used for live performances. I have a mouthpiece with a brighter tone that I'd only consider for solo playing because, in any section situation, its sound would just stick out and ruin the texture of the section's sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks again, I wasn't planning on taking a jet tone to corps of course, I know enough about them to know that'd be a poor idea. Thanks for the feedback regarding them though, I just wanted a gimicky mouthpiece, geared towards higher playing a little bit. Sounds like it'll suit the purpose.

And yeah, the "Teal Palace" (as some people refer to my school) is pretty nice. It's rough running a quarter mile between classes 5-6 times a day though, lol.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Another question about mouthpieces (I have too many of those I know). I was just wondering though, does anyone know of a mouthpiece bigger than a 1 or 1C? The 1 was great, but I'd kinda like a wider one, and preferably deeper. I know that the mouthpiece doesn't make the player, but I was just wondering about that. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:53 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

TrumpetGuy05 wrote:
Another question about mouthpieces (I have too many of those I know). I was just wondering though, does anyone know of a mouthpiece bigger than a 1 or 1C? The 1 was great, but I'd kinda like a wider one, and preferably deeper. I know that the mouthpiece doesn't make the player, but I was just wondering about that. Thanks.

I realize this was from a few months ago, but I thought I'd chuck my two cents in...

You aren't really going to find anything bigger than a 1C mouthpiece without boring out the shank yourself. In all honesty, I don't think having that big of a mouthpiece is going to help you much more than what you already use.

I'd like to suggest the Warburton mouthpiece....They make great mouthpieces in a two part construction, and you can find a great combination that fits your needs. I have a 4M cup (which is a tiny bit smaller than a 3C, but with a wider rim) and a 11 backbore (10 through 12 are from their Orchestral collection, and are rather large and forgiving.) This is the mouthpiece I use when I played soprano with the Crossmen in 2001, as well as in jazz band and pep band. When I'm playing regularly I use a 1 1/2C and have no problem switching back and forth because the backbores are similar in size. You'll probably be able to play 7-8 hours on the Warburton and not have any issues if you can play 5-6 on a 1C.

Also, the rim is smaller than your taste (I guess) but the Claude Gordon 3 mouthpiece (CG3 for short) is a nice one to try too...it has a tapered backbore and more of a V-shaped cup. The rim is much more thin, however. You can get one from the Kanstul company. I used this mouthpiece for 1998, 1999, and 2000 drum corps tours. I think in 1997 I just buzzed into the leadpipe without a mouthpiece. Okay, I used a 3C. :D

Hope I helped!

PS: West Johnston is a NICE school! And much like Malibu, I'd tell you how I know, but then I'd have to, oh, whatever... :lol:

2002 Crossmen Brass Staff

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the info, I usually prefer the deeper/wider mouthpieces. I tend to like the rim a bit wider/flatter too.
Any tips for upper range playing? I know basic stuff like "keep a steady airflow, don't use too much pressure, etc." Are there any tricks? I'm up to the second G above the staff now (double G?) but am having trouble progressing farther.

Thanks for the feedback

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next