The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Btw, I know they're mostly even, and it is preferrable to be perfect at both, but would they rather you be a better player or marcher in auditions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:22 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Seen Crossmen, they're okay, trying to go in a weird direction again (at least not as badly as they did in '95) with some Metheney thrown in at the end.

That's the gist of it. They're going to be somewhere between 6th and maybe 9th at Finals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:40 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

TrumpetGuy05 wrote:
Btw, I know they're mostly even, and it is preferrable to be perfect at both, but would they rather you be a better player or marcher in auditions?

What they want to see is that you can LEARN.

For example, every corps in the top 4 (or 5 or 6) has a different marching style. It's all "corps style", true, with generally rolling feet going forwards and platform on-the-toes going backwards, but they're still different. The ability -- and willingness -- of the players to adapt to the different style is what counts the most.

Put yourself in an instructor's shoes: What can you say about a kid who, after telling him ten ways to keep his toes down when going backwards, persists in rolling them upwards instead? You'd think that he's a slow learner, that he'll have trouble learning drill, that he'll have trouble keeping track of all the changes in the show during the season, and that he'll look out of place in the line.

It's the same thing as playing. If you can adapt to the ensemble, both visually and musically, you'll be fine. Nobody was born to march corps, but people learn how to do it.

Drummers have to adapt their playing style, too. Whatever they learned in school or another drumline ultimately doesn't matter. What matters is how "instruct-able" they are, and how well they can remember those instructions.

Okay, look at it this way -- if you show up to your first camp and try to chair-step the first exercise in marching basics, BUT you quickly learn how to march the way that they tell you to march, they won't be concerned about whether to let you into the hornline or not.

Maybe that's it. If you worry the staff, whether it's because you just have no skills or because you have an "I should play lead!" attitude, they'll think twice (or more) about letting you into their corps. I've had some kids that I wished we kept out (or at least put on a Greyhound bus).

Post subject: it's more simple than you think.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:15 pm 
All Star
All Star

Look... you wouldn't believe how many new people join Div. I drumcorps all over the country every year... and the first time that they even saw a drumcorps in person was at the first audition camp. Some of those people have never even marched in a competitive program at all, not even in high school. And still some of those people have never been in a marching ensemble whatsoever and their first experience is at the opening camp. Yet I assure you that there are several... if not MANY of those individuals that make the cut and march with any one of the top 12 corps. They may not get offered a contract until February... but they make the cut because they choose to be a sponge; soaking up all of the information and instruction.

don't sweat the audition.
just pick a corps... check out thier audition requirements (posted on their web site)... and fulfill them.

foot technique is essentially different from corps to corps anyway... and they will end up showing you THEIR method, via handbook or technical instruction period at the first camp.

hahaha quite frankly, if you are on this site... talking with all of us... and you are familiar with the vocabulary of the activity... then I would assume that a camp audition won't be too much of a problem for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I can adapt, as is, I'm having to completely re-adjust my playing style (per my teacher's request). At my school we march hyper-straight leg (supposedly Cadets-style). I've marched semi-bent at a previous school, and most corps march a variation of it (as some of you pointed out), so I have some experience with it. I guess I might be over-analyzing it a bit. Thanks for the info though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey, not to beat an already dead and decaying horse, but I just got a new mouthpiece and was wondering what people thought of it. It's a Curry 1 and 1/4 TF, pretty huge (by my standards), but I love the sound you get out of it. Thought? Opinions? Scathing remarks?

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:03 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

TrumpetGuy05 wrote:
blah blah blah... ( ;) ) but I love the sound you get out of it.

I think that's your answer right there. That's the same criterion by which I choose mouthpieces, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Lol, thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

This is off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Does anyone know of a site that has a recording of Sonoran Desert Holiday on it? I just heard the music through a friend, but am having trouble finding a clip of it. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Actually, any links to recordings of Nelson's pieces would be appreciated, thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:24 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Just go tryout for your favorite corps. Mabey they'll have a spot for you. I agree what everyone says. Just try, try, try. Staff members love that. Remeber the Staff was probably where you are at, at one time. I garantee that they are repeating what was said to them once. If you are going for lead I recomend that you can play your Double notes. But most people dont just get lead right off the bat. You have to work for it.

When I tried out for the Scouts, I had a Double A and only made first alternate.
but of course it was before 99' when they were going to play Jesus Christ S.
My skills were good and I know they were. Unfortunatly I was never called back. It happens though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, probly goin for Crown, trying out anyway (not to say I'll make it). Depends how things work out I guess. I appreciate the feedback though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Range question (I'll be shot one of these days), while I can play above it and certainly below it, high D is a problem for me. I've tried 1 and then open, but it's still a bother. I always overshoot it, and then when I compensate it either slides into a C# or comes out really thin. Tips? Suggestions? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

No then?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:23 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

What does your teacher tell you to do?

I'm not going to answer specific technique questions via an online forum, especially ones dealing with high trumpet playing (I'm a low brass guy). There's no substitute for being in the room with the person you're trying to help.

Can you play well above those notes? If so, you're just dealing with accuracy. But, if it's at your top end, you should keep working on everything else.

Try playing bottom-to-top-and-back slurs with all the buttons down, then do the next higher combination (123, then 13, then 23, etc), playing EVERY note in between cleanly.

That's all I'm going to say. If your current trumpet teacher can't give advice, then maybe you need to move on to someone who could (or at least get a couple lessons with someone new).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next