Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks, a different approach might help. Actually, I don't have a trumpet tech currently, and my director was a mello, so he isn't much help for range. Funny thing though, today, the notes came with greater accuracy and clarity than they have in a long time. I dunno, might been hype or something.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey, me again. I have a quick question, is it normal for range to fluctuate some? I mean, a month ago, I could get G's with reasonable ease, and now I'm down to E's. What gives? Marching season is in full swing and I'm practicing way more than usual, so if anything, my range should be more consistent/higher, right? Just wondering, thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:14 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I would think that your lip muscles are being broken down, just like other muscles seem to get weaker when you're really working them out.

Give it time, keep playing smart, and in another few weeks your muscles should start rebuilding and your range should start going back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I hope so, it's really annoying though, to have semi-decent range one day and then not the next day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ah, and with the ending of marching band (taboo phrase I know), my 4th-line -G range comes back!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: sorry...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:32 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I know this isn't MY thread, but i didn't think it was necessary to start a new one, since this deals with upper range.

I'm having a problem with my D#s. I can play Es, and i can play a D, but it's difficult to stay on D#s. I can play the # fine tone wise, but after about 3 seconds, i fall to C#. But as I earlier mentioned, i have no problem holding Es.
Help?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: sorry...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:58 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

1stsoprano_prodigy wrote:
I know this isn't MY thread, but i didn't think it was necessary to start a new one, since this deals with upper range.

I'm having a problem with my D#s. I can play Es, and i can play a D, but it's difficult to stay on D#s. I can play the # fine tone wise, but after about 3 seconds, i fall to C#. But as I earlier mentioned, i have no problem holding Es.
Help?

I forwarded your question to a friend of mine who was 1st sop in Crossmen when I marched. This is his response;

I would first ask this person if they have tried other horns and still have the problem. I don't want to assume it's the player. Every horn has its good notes and its bad notes and maybe this is just a bad note for his horn. If this is a constant problem on different horns then we've ruled out the horn and can focus on the player.

If it's the player I'd be curious as to:

1) the mouthpiece being used (shallow, deep or something in the middle).

2) type of sound he posses, does he have a dark heavy sound (big airstream and or open amature) or a brighter sound (indicating more than likely a tighter airstream and or similar amature) this ties in with no. 1 above as well

If you can hit the note in the first place I suspect the horn isn't the issue unless it's fighting him. I can't say that I've had this specific issue but I tend to think that it comes down to lack of air support when playing this note and would suggest long tone exercises where he starts soft and cresendos through the note.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Oddly enough, I have a problem with the high D, anything above or below (well, above up to high G) is relatively easy to hit/play, but the D gives me trouble. Could be the mouthpiece, still rockin the 1.25 Curry TF (way deep, wider than a 1). Sometimes there's just that note for a player, yunno. Like mentioned already, some horns have sour notes that just don't work, lol.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Another question about equipment, are Monette's as good as they say? I recently saw a fairly average player turn into a fantastic player by simply using his monette mouthpiece for a while (meaning, during rehearsal he switched). Just wondering, I have some Christmas money and I was wondering if it was worth the cost. If they are, what do you reccomend for someone playing on a Curry 1.25 TF?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:49 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I've got my D#'s worked out now. It took me a while, but I think it was just a matter of that frequency my chops didn't like, and after many hours of practice on that note, I've finally got it under control. Now, I can focus my attention to the pesky F.

Sorry for "interupting" your question TrumpetGuy, I just wanted to give everyone an update so they can sleep better tonight knowing I can hit the D# :) . And unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a Monette, so I can't answer your quesiton.

And another quick question for anyone. I'm on a 5C right now, and I think I want either a 3C (which I have tried) or 1 1/2 C (one I haven't tried). Is there a noticeable difference between the 2?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've played on both a 1 1/2 and the 2, and assuming you mean Bach, there isn't much difference. I prefer the 1 1/2, but I generally prefer larger mouthpieces. If you mean different brands, that kind of alters things. Also the playability is partially determined by whether it is a "C" or a straight number (like a 2 and 2C). That can alter depth and sometimes width.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Just got my Monette btw, best mouthpiece I've owned so far, period. It's a B1-2 (I think, 2nd or 3rd largest they make). If you have nothing better to spend $200 on (or in my case 90, gotta love ebay) it's a great buy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for your help over my stay on the board, it really set me up for what to expect at corps. I ended up marching two summers with Crown and after a bit of a break (majoring in biology and biochemistry takes it out of you, lol) I might be back for 09. So thanks again to all of you.

P.S. I wouldn't be a trumpet player if I didn't say that I have CC's now :lol:

P.S.S. Monettes are awesome (I got some with insurance money I had left over when someone stole my Strad)!

Profile E-mail