Awesome Brass Arranging

Discussion topics covering the brass player's experiences and needs

Moderator: The Moderating Team

cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff

One more great arranger

Post by cavies79 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:28 pm

Another great arranger, in the 70s, I forgot to mention was Ray Baumgartner. He arranged for the Madison Scouts all through the 70s until 1979. Probably the 60s, too. He also arranged for the 1985 Spirit of Atlanta (Concert in F).

In his day, he was considered one of the best. I believe the style he wrote has influenced Scott Boema, too.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Oh yeah, I mentioned Michael Klesch, but forgot that he arranged for the Crossmen in 98 and 99.

Tommy Lee Maddox
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tommy Lee Maddox » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:55 pm

Oh Jim Ott.

He could teach, arrange, and come up with stuff right out of his head. Thanks to the fact that his sister was a famous mello master, he had little choice but to write great alto books.

Jim was our man in Atlanta.
Tommy Lee Maddox
A Face In The Crowd

prphan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by prphan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:22 pm

I agree with your Jim Wren comments. But, if you listen to New World Symphony and then listen to Phantom's '89 performance, he managed to deveolpe the entire symphony for a 13 minute show. Amazing!

Jazzman
All Star
All Star

Post by Jazzman » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:48 pm

Jim Wren was inducted into Phantom's Hall of Fame last week at the Show of Shows. He's been arranging for Phantom for 30 years!! Now that's sustained quality.
Regards, Jazzman

WoobieATL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WoobieATL » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:42 pm

JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME
JIM PRIME

Man, the arrangements for Garfield and Star......and numerous marching and concert bands..........priceless, tasteful and respectful to the original composition.

He's so cool that he was nice enough to listen to one of my brass ensemble compositions when I was a Composition Major in college and wrote 2 pages of notes for me on that piece.

Jimmer is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a STUD! I hope I have the chance in the future to thank him for all the positive things he brought into my life........
Woobie
Star of Indiana 1992-1995

"Without Music, Life would be Mistake"
-Friedrich Nietzchi

Zeke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeke » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:15 am

Jay Bocook
Jim Prime
Robert Smith
Tim Salzman
Wayne Downey

Sky Ryders arrangements from Mid-Late 80s', who was the Brass Arranger for those years?

Phantom Regiments horn arrangments '87-'89, who was the Brass Arranger for those year?

Cavies 87-90 Iv'e always like the most as far as Cavies Horn Books go.

What years did Tim Salzman do Brass Arrangement for SCV and Cavies?

Freelancers '91, they had other good years also..but that year in Particular with that horn book they just really stuck out. That was just such a Great show..but '91 was a great year for Music.whom arranged that year?

Hostrauser
All Star
All Star

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:42 pm

Zeke wrote:Phantom Regiments horn arrangments '87-'89, who was the Brass Arranger for those year?

The great Jim Wren. He arranged Phantom's books for... what, 30 years or so? From the 60s or early 70s all the way up to just recently, if I recall correctly.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am."
-- Joseph Baretti

cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff

brass arrangers

Post by cavies79 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:19 pm

Zake,

Larry Kerschner wrote Skys' book in the mid 1980s. He also did Bridgemen in their great years.
Phantom- Jim Wren
Cavies- Tim Salzman did 87, 89,90
Ken Snoeck- 88 Cavies
Freelancers- Not sure, but I believe John Zimmy did those.

Dennis

Doug Peck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doug Peck » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:35 pm

Going back to the 70's, Doug Denisen has my vote. Some of his works include:

'71 Argonne - "J.C. Superstar Medley"
'72 Argonne - "Love Story" (the fugue intro is enough to bring tears to your eyes)
'72 De La Salle - "Meadowlands" (unfortunately Del was known for percussion and their brass line did not do the piece justice, yet still a great arrangement)
'75 Oakland Crusaders - entire show (same comments as related to Del)

Check out the '69 and '70 St. Paul Scouts, '74 and '75 Osage, and '74 Blue Rock shows for other great Denisen arrangements. (Unfortunately the Blue Rock fall into the same category as Del. If Doug had another year with them I think he could have turned their brass program around).
Doug Peck
Austin Lancer Cadets, '61-'63
Austin Lancers, '68
Precisionnaires, '70-'74

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:05 pm

Doug Peck wrote:Going back to the 70's, Doug Denisen has my vote. Some of his works include:

'71 Argonne - "J.C. Superstar Medley"
'72 Argonne - "Love Story" (the fugue intro is enough to bring tears to your eyes)
'72 De La Salle - "Meadowlands" (unfortunately Del was known for percussion and their brass line did not do the piece justice, yet still a great arrangement)
'75 Oakland Crusaders - entire show (same comments as related to Del)

Check out the '69 and '70 St. Paul Scouts, '74 and '75 Osage, and '74 Blue Rock shows for other great Denisen arrangements. (Unfortunately the Blue Rock fall into the same category as Del. If Doug had another year with them I think he could have turned their brass program around).

Doug, if you get a chance get a recording ofr the DCI Preview. It was made before the season started and is a two album set. My understanding is that a lot of the age outs from '71 Del were on that recording. Much better than what you heard in the summer.
Jim Anello

Doug Peck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doug Peck » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:17 pm

Jim, I guess I wasn't even aware there was a DCI preview recording made. Will check into that.

After seeing your name another great arranger from the late 60's and early 70's comes to mind. Ken Norman of Kilties fame.
Doug Peck
Austin Lancer Cadets, '61-'63
Austin Lancers, '68
Precisionnaires, '70-'74

SCVBaritone
Soloist
Soloist

Post by SCVBaritone » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:01 am

Tommy, I was fortunate enough to know Jim Ott in the early years when he taught the Commodores of Stockton back in the mid 60's to when he marched with the Santa Clara Vanguard for part of the season in the early 70's. He was always open and caring to people and had a great ear for sound quality. With his breathing technics he helped our some of our weaker players improve their sound. A great guy, and I'm thankful for having the experience of knowing him.

Ben Martinez
1969,70 SCV Contra
1971 SCV Baritone
1971 Winter Guard Instructor
1964-68 San Leandro Royalaires
SCV Alumni Assoc. 2008
SCV&BD Alumni Combined Corps 2007
SF Renegades 2009,2010,2012
2016-17 50th Anniversary SCV Alumni Corps

cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff

another arranger

Post by cavies79 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:25 pm

I was looking into this thread again and remembered another arranger that I highly admire. That is Gordan Henderson. Gordan arranged for several of the great SCV corps. He is also Director of Bands at UCLA. He also helped with the 1992 Cavaliers when they won their first championship.
Dennis O. Eveland
Composer/ Arranger/ Band Director
Cavalier Alumni
Laredo, Texas