suggested mouthpiece for baritone

Discussion topics covering the brass player's experiences and needs

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Christina
New Recruit
New Recruit

suggested mouthpiece for baritone

Post by Christina » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 pm

I am a new baritone player and i am shopping for a mouthpiece. I wanted some opinions on preferred mouthpieces. I don't really know what number or brand to get, so i could really use some help.
Thanks a lot.
Christina

CaptnContra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CaptnContra » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:44 am

In all honesty you really should go to a shop and try 'em out. Everyone has different needs and/or preferences and what one person likes another will hate. Plus you need to factor in what you plan on doing with the mouthpiece; is it going to be only for marching? concert? both? Are you playing jazz or classical? Both? Dark tone or bright?

Find a vendor that has a lot of different options in stock and bust out a horn and try as many as you can.

Blurae1
All Star
All Star

mouthpiece

Post by Blurae1 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:41 pm

I usually start my beginning baritone & trombone players on a 6 1/2 AL. That's a good place to start. They are available for a good price online from Bowtie Brass. ............Bill

Jd
Soloist
Soloist

Post by Jd » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:54 pm

I also started on a Bach 6 1/2 AL and it is a good starter mouthpiece. Once you get some experience and a good sound, then I would recommend a Schilke 51D or equivelant. I used the Schilke 51D in the Phantom Regiment and use the same mouthpiece in CorpsVets.
Jd
Bleu Raeders '78-'80
Louisiana Southernaires '81
Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager