Question about the Trumpet

Discussion topics covering the brass player's experiences and needs

Moderator: The Moderating Team

SuperNuku
New Recruit
New Recruit

Question about the Trumpet

Post by SuperNuku » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:58 pm

I know this is probably a strange question, but I am a flute player. I played the piano for about four years, learned the flute in concert band for four years, and then marched with it in my high school's marching band for four years. Leaving for college when I graduate in May 2007, I am interested in finding an Illinois Drum Corps I could audition for and march with. I am planning on quickly buying a trumpet and learning to play it.

I'm just wondering if it's possible, or even feasible, to learn to play a trumpet well enough for a drum corps audition in about one year? I am planning on working rather hard and taking lessons, however it seems like a difficult task. Perhaps if I were to practice for two years first I'd have a much better shot?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. ^_^ Thanks!

CaptnContra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CaptnContra » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:19 am

Its easy as long as your willing to put in the time. I made the jump from flute to tuba/contra and had little difficulty. I've had friends say that the easiest transition for a flute to brass is the mello/french horn and baritone. If you want to make corps in a year as a trumpet player dont expect to make first though, you'll be third or possibly second. It takes time to work up your chops. As a bonus though, I can warmup on flute and I'm ready to play tuba and vice versa... dunno how that works.

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:35 pm

A friend of my son's who was an excellent high school flutist played mellophone in marching band. When she went to college, she continued on flute during the year but played mellophone and, finally, contra for eh Colts. So, it can happen.
Jim Anello

TrumpetGuy05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TrumpetGuy05 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:46 am

It really all boils down to how much you're willing to work towards making the corps. If they see drive and potential in someone who is maybe only a decent player, there's a good chance they'll them over a better but lazy player.
Carolina Crown, Trumpet 05-06'
UNC Medical School 09-Whenever

Teaves1112
New Recruit
New Recruit

It's possible...

Post by Teaves1112 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:18 am

How hard are you going to work? But more importantly, which corps are you trying out for???
The pain of discipline now, or the pain of regret later. -Craig Ewing