Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best DCI Colorguards
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:45 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

We have had many great colorguards in DCI competition. Here are several of my all time favorites. Which are yours?

1. Cavaliers (1979-present)- Under Steve Brubaker and now Bruno Z. they have been very consistant in DCI and 1980s WGI.

2. Madison Scouts - During the 1970s and 80s , the Scouts colorguard under the instruction of Sal Salas and later Mike Turner were great !!

3. 27th Lancers- How can we forget the 1979/ 80 guard?

Others: Current Blue Devils (instructed by Scott Chandler), Spirit of Atlanta (1980s), Current SCV, 1979 North Star, 1998- present Crossmen, and Phantom Regiment (1996, 97 and the 1970s). :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:54 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The Madison 95-97 colorguards.

Since I'm not really a guard person, I really thought they had some great visual stuff going on.

I don't know if it was all the Madison corps of those years that had great GE that the guards stand out so much, but I remember some awesome execution.

Boise, ID

"What does drum corps feel like?:
'Run 10 miles at a full sprint and then STOP.'"
-Anonymous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:11 am 
All Star
All Star

Without a doubt, it's the Cavies. It's beautiful to watch. One of my favorites is the closer in the 99 show. GREAT STUFF!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 95-97 Madison Colorguards
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:12 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

The 1995-97 colorguards were very good. I believe Mike Turner was still teaching them. He presently has a dance studio in California and teaches SCV.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:40 am 
All Star
All Star

I really never thought that Spirit or North Star were on the same level as the other guards you mention.

I believe North Stars guards usually scored very low, well I'd have to look back, but 79 & 80 NS was 11th or 12th in guard and in placement. They did some interesting stuff from my perspective but execution and difficulty just wasn't there. I'm not sure how well Spirit scored, I know a lot of people seemed to have liked them, but I think NS work was actually more difficult than Spirits.

They both had nice guards, but that was Spirits weak spot in 80 as their horn line blew the stands back, and their drum line was in the top 2 if I remember correctly. I guess it's all in what you like!

Nancy V.
LancerFi

Post subject: north star and spirit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:38 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

The North Star guard of 1979 actually scored well in GE, if I remember well. The Spirit of Atlanta colorguards I thinking about were from the mid 1980s. Sal Salas and Scott Chandler (now with BD) were instructing. They won best guard in 1986 ? The earlier guards of Spirit actually were weak. But, 85,86,87, and even 88 were good. Too bad the 88 show was boring though (Petruska).
:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best DCI Colorguards
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:32 pm 
All Star
All Star

cavies79 wrote:
We have had many great colorguards in DCI competition. Here are several of my all time favorites. Which are yours?

1. Cavaliers (1979-present)- Under Steve Brubaker and now Bruno Z. they have been very consistant in DCI and 1980s WGI.

2. Madison Scouts - During the 1970s and 80s , the Scouts colorguard under the instruction of Sal Salas and later Mike Turner were great !!

3. 27th Lancers- How can we forget the 1979/ 80 guard?

Others: Current Blue Devils (instructed by Scott Chandler), Spirit of Atlanta (1980s), Current SCV, 1979 North Star, 1998- present Crossmen, and Phantom Regiment (1996, 97 and the 1970s). :)

How could you do a post about great colorguards without mentioning The Cadets for like the past 2 decades?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: north star and spirit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:47 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

cavies79 wrote:
The North Star guard of 1979 actually scored well in GE, if I remember well. The Spirit of Atlanta colorguards I thinking about were from the mid 1980s. Sal Salas and Scott Chandler (now with BD) were instructing. They won best guard in 1986 ? The earlier guards of Spirit actually were weak. But, 85,86,87, and even 88 were good. Too bad the 88 show was boring though (Petruska).
:)

Spirit won high guard in 1985 and 87. Sal came onboard in 1983 and Scott joined in 84. We can't forget the incredible rifle lines that Tam Easterwood taught either!

Scott left us in 88.

In 1984, we were third in guard and in 1986, we were second. Scott started this male/female dancing pairs with Spirit, and since then it has become the norm. He truly is an innovator in guard.

Spirit of Atlanta Alumni officer 2000-01, 03

Post subject: spirit and cadets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:59 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Steve,

You are very correct about Tam. A good friend of mine,Gary "Hobie"Pileski marched in the guard until 1986. He instructed them in 1990 when they did "Gone with the Wind".

Regarding Cadets, how could I forget? They have been great over the last 20 years.

There were probably some great guards in the early 70s and befoe that I don't know about.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Yes, I'm talking about Spirit 79 & 80. Of course North Star wasn't around in the mid 80's. I believe the guard scores ranged from 1.5-2.0. That's what I was going by. I believe we were a 2. And it was very close, I'm going by the videos and what I saw them do, in person. But I'll check on that score!

Yes Cadets should also be mentioned, and so many more!

Nancy V.
LancerFi

Post subject: Spirit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:03 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I know you were talking about early Spirit, but I wasn't.
Their guard in late 70s and early 80s was the weak part of their corps.

Take care,

8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:13 pm 
All Star
All Star

Oh but what I would have given to march with a horn line like Spirits. One word, if it is a word-
W O W !!! :shock:

Nancy V.
LancerFi

Post subject: Spirit Hands-Down
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:15 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Much of the evolution of color guard came from Spirit. Incorporating dance (I mean REAL dance), props (like sail flags... they were cool at the time), and clean flag work. Usually a guard could do one of those things well, but not all 3.

The Spirit guards even used their uniforms as visual enhancements to their routine - check-out the '86 show to see what I mean.

All of these things you see in the guard activity today and we kind of take them for granted.

Post subject: Best guards
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:47 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Dont forget about Blue devils CG. They were hot in the 90s along with the Cadets

Post subject: Re: Spirit Hands-Down
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:20 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Marauder Metcalf wrote:
Much of the evolution of color guard came from Spirit. Incorporating dance (I mean REAL dance), props (like sail flags... they were cool at the time), and clean flag work. Usually a guard could do one of those things well, but not all 3.

The Spirit guards even used their uniforms as visual enhancements to their routine - check-out the '86 show to see what I mean.

All of these things you see in the guard activity today and we kind of take them for granted.

Umm...I agree Spirit had a great guard when Sal and Scott taught them....however, I disagree that they were responsible for much of the evolution in color guard. Case in point, in 1982 Scott C. taught Bridgemen's guard and they did a lot of dance or body with equipment. If you look back at other guard from the late '70s and early '80s, you'll find guards like Blue Devils who started the "dance" trend especially in "Pegasus" with the "wings." Other guards like 27th, Crossmen and Garfield Cadets did some body work under the equipment, which was rare for that era, compared to other guards that were "stiff."
Let's not forget the elegant pairs work in the 1987 Sky Ryder's version of "West Side Story." 8-)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail