The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Nobody mentioned PR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:00 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I have a little bias here but the Cavies have had excellent guards throughout the years. My personal fav in the late 70's and early 80's was Phantom. The rifle work they did was insane, and the drill work during the drum solo's was a feast to the eyes. The Cavies were also excellent in this regard(please excuse my bias)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:09 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'd have to agree with Ms. Malibu once again on this one. From a dance view point and the evolution of things, Zingali's winter guards were dancing before some corps were around, but I don't want to get into who did what first, etc. DCI lost me a few of those years with the guard uniforms, all of the equipment, and the dancing. So I definately missed Spirits better years.

As BAC8687 mentioned, he thought we kept to the military bearing, etc. longer than anyone, and I thought we did too much dance when I marched.

Spirit had their great guards in the mid-late 80's. And the pairs work they show on Brass Roots is very well done, it's lovely. But I think I only saw them 3 times from 85-90, so I can't really speak to that.

Yes, and Phantom, whoops forgot about them, oh dear, how hard is hard, look to Phantom for crisp (70's early 80's)!

But as far as dance, I have to say these past few years, BD and Cadets get my vote....BD seems to just have the most executed dancing and equipment work I've seen? If that's possible, I mean everything looks to be in the right place, and I'm beginning to like it much better just from watching BD and Cadets dance. I'm much more tolerant now!

Nancy V.
LancerFi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:10 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Cadets were Good in 1982 and 83 they didn't put out another great guard untill about 1990 then were pretty good off and on This guard didn't dance correctly untill 1990.

Cavies didn't have a good guard untill the 1990's Some of the worst dance technique till late 1990's (hard to watch). Once Mike Gaines started to write for them, they were on top of their game, what great equipment work.....

BD and SCV were taught to move correctly, once BD had Scott Chandler, they got better and better, but seemed to do the same guard book year after year...(2002 was one of the best BD guards) SCV never clicked after 1980's Liked them best under Carl Lowe or Mike Turner.

Madison was a Technique machine.... I have videos of warm ups and shows from the 80's...... it's like a text book.

best guards from 1940's till now

SCV
BD
Madison
Garfield

1990 untill now

BD
Cavies
Cadets

Post subject: Cavies Score
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:08 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I can't say too much as to whether or not Cavies guard deserved best guard....due to not seeing them in person and relyning on the PBS Broadcast.
I will say for what I saw is questionable. Right off the line there were numerous errors in timing as well as drill alignment problems. Could be the design of the flag...don't know. There seemed to be more problems with unison work than what their score reflected.

Again, I didn't have the opportunity to view them live this year.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

From c. 1972-1980, I would say Anaheim Kingsmen (especially off the line in 1973 and overall military bearing they had) and 27th Lancers (1975-81, especially the rifle line). Honorable mention goes to Phantom Regiment in the late 70s (esp. "Rockford File"). A sentimental favorite, for me, of course, is 1980 Madison Scouts guard doing the funky "vaudeville" step at the end of the opener, "Playing Our Song."

Dan Guernsey
Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970
Madison Explorer Scouts, 1971-77

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:27 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Quote:
Cavies didn't have a good guard untill the 1990's Some of the worst dance technique till late 1990's (hard to watch). Once Mike Gaines started to write for them, they were on top of their game, what great equipment work.....

I know this is really a subjective opinion, but I have to disagree because it doesn't square with facts. From 1979 when Steve Brubaker took over till 1984 what kept the Cavaliers in the top 12 was the strength of the colorguard. In 81,82,and 83 the Cav's guard won WGI beating out both the Guardsman, and Phantom. So I think it would be hard pressed to say that the Cav's didn't have a good guard until the 90's. Once again I recognized this is a matter of opinion, but I prefer to have opinion supported by facts. And for the record I marched in the Cavies colorguard from 79-86, so I might be somewhat bias in my opinion, but unwavering in the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:26 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

You are so right about Cavies fielding good guards in the 80's (86,87,89)..... I should have been more spicific.....How about, Cavies did't have a GREAT guard until the mid 90's where they were a top 3 guard a few times.

As for WGI and the Cavies their indoor guards were more successful indeed. I have Jets, Bond, 85, and Mars(year?) all on video. All Great guards. (I was taught the Rifle Book of 85 at a Cavie rehersal by the ex drum major (Norm?). Fun stuff.

I think it's time Cavies hit WGI again.

As far as DCI, it's great to see them as a Top 3 guard again.

(come back soon Scouts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:46 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Hey Dave,
I do not think the Cavies guards of the eighties are any less skilled than the one's of the nineties. We were doing different things in different era's. The Cavies guard was IMO GREAT in the eighties, and was equally GREAT in the nineties. As far as the indoor guard being better than the field guard, well there were far fewer of us on the floor than on the field. Most of us marched in both so the skill level was there. Phantom and the Guardsmen both had better indoor guards than outdoor maybe for that same reason. There are alot less people to teach and clean.

Do you know where I can get copies of your video's. When I moved from New York to San Francisco I lost my box of Cavies indoor guard tapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:28 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yeah I remember that "James Bond" and the "Jets" show...truly awsome for that time period! Also I remember the guard that won using a "Jeanie in a Bottle." I want to say it was Emerald Marque......I 'd have to go back and review those old videos.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Malibu, that was the Skylarks... Music was an electronic version of FireBird....

I think they were a bunch of Garfield girls....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:30 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

YES! That's right SKYLARKS! There were a lot of girls from Bridgemen that were in it that year. Also one girl from Reading Buccaneers on rifle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:30 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Sort of funny story that the mention of Skylarks reminds me. I went to my first WGI Championships in 1983. I met my friend there, who had some behind the scenes access, and the two of us got to see the taping of the spiel done for the TV Broadcast. The fellow who had done the commentary for the show (the name Ed Fergeson comes to mind, but I can't remember now from that long ago!). He was giving a rundown of the final scores. Apparantly, many people thought Skylarks should have won. He did the "last to first" list of the scores, and said, "In second place with a score of 98.116, the Skylarks. And, in first place, with a score of 98.383, the Skylarks." They had to re-tape, so he could announce Cavies win. LOL. (Incidentally, they were both great! Glad I wasn't a judge!)

Later, at a party at Fred Miller's house, someone was teasing him, that he looked good on camera, and he should get a job on his local news channel. He said something like, "oh yea, and I can say, today the weather was cloudy, and tomorrow it will be Skylarks." I remember cracking up while others were going "huh?" He looked at me, and grinned and said, "you got it, didn't you?" Being the shy introvert I was, I nodded, all the while thinking I was pretty honored to have a "celebrity" aknowledge me! LOL

OK, so that wasn't about a DCI guard as the original topic suggested. But, had to throw in my story since the opportunity presented itself.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:24 pm 
All Star
All Star

Hi Marianne! Ed Fergusons' wife (Crista Little) who I marched with in 2-7 was the manager of Emerald Marquis. He was as drum corps photographer, and a great one at that. So it probably was him!

Unfortunately, he died about 2 years ago, in his 40's, suddenly. R.I.P.

Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:34 am 
All Star
All Star

I get such a tickle when I see our rifle line 23 years later on many, many lists of ten best quards/rifles lines...I can't believe we're still on there, and some people on DCP can't believe I can't believe it!

This was the answer to my shock at being on a list 23 years later, it makes me smile!

"Your kidding...right ???? In my opinion, your corps set the standard all else should live up to........the 1980 27th Lancer rifle line is probably the best ever.
Its also nice that you won high guard that year too !!!!!"

Ow Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! All that and a bag of chips....totally amazing....oh I feel like a kid again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:48 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

LancerFi wrote:

Ow Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! All that and a bag of chips....totally amazing....oh I feel like a kid again!

THAT"S IT! That's the "sound" LancerFi makes when she sees Madison Scouts or other corps she likes on the field! :lol:

Really, Nancy you shouldn't be surprised about how others are still talking about your rifle line today. I mean, you guys were legends and legends are never forgotten!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next