The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:34 am 
All Star
All Star

I only believe we are still on this list is because soon after, there were no more "rifle lines" per se. Even though so many guards have been great, it's dance, it's 1 flag here running, 6 sabers there, 4 rifles here, not a line. So soon after there was nothing to compare us to maybe....yes in the late 70's early 80's we'd pick up flags, or pom poms or dowels, but there was still a "line" - a rifle line and a flag line, there was definaltey a line of demarkation, and you had to try out for these lines. You didn't necessarily have to be great at all 7 or 8 pieces like they use today.....so if they were to go back to that, I'm sure we would drop off that list and fast!

Yes we went through the 13 minute show many times, and knew exactly where each hand and even finger had to be, and yes we did have very good timing, and snap, and in 79 and 80 we actually learned how to march, but had it stayed the same I believe we would not be on the list.

Last edited by LancerFi on Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:37 am 
All Star
All Star

P.S. You're correct Malibu, that is exactly the sound I make! And I do it IMO pretty loud I might add...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:34 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

You are much too humble LancerFi! Malibu is right. You guys were legends, and legends don't get forgotten. You were years ahead of your time, and I'm betting you could still spin circles around many of the elite members today.

Think of it this way....compare it to figure skating. Peggy Flemming and Dorothy Hammil are legends in their sport. They set a trend and example for ladies figure skating all over the world. But I don't know if either one ever has done a triple jump. They may not be able to jump against the jumping beans of today, but the pure quality of skating they did (and can still do, when Hammil still takes the occasional ice) is breathtaking in any era.

I'm sure if 27 had stayed around, they would have evolved just like the other elite guards did. And they would have likely been one of (if not THE) best guards out there.

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Last edited by Marianne on Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:48 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

You are right Marianne about LancerFi. I saw her last year throwing quads with a Crossmen rifle! She had long finger nails to boot and didn't miss a toss! :wink:

BTW Marianne, that was an excellent analogy you gave, with the figure skaters.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:35 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Nancy,
In 1979 I first saw the 27th lancer rifle line live. I was just 13 y/o, my first year with the Cavs, and quite frankly I had never seen a rifle line so precise, clean, and did such hard stuff(I saw video's of the Kingsmans "72" rifle line which I also thought was very good). Even looking back at my 1979-80 DVD's, you ladies looked like a carbon copy of each other. Every hand in the same place, every head moving at exactly the same time, and if you looked carefully it looks like every toss maxes out at the same height(how did you do that :shock:

This precision extended into the flag line as well. One thing that struck me when I saw you guys in 1979 was how tall the rifle line seem to be, especiallly to a very short(even for his age) 13 y/o. When you guys turned corners, the snap seemed so crisp I always wanted to fall down from the impact.

It doesn't matter how well a guard dances, to me it will always be how they handled their equipment. That is were todays guard fail and 27th suceeded. When it came to difficult clean equipment books, no one could do it like 27th could. Nancy deserves her props :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:20 pm 
All Star
All Star

Thank you deftguy. Who knew that would be as good as it gets. One of the best times in my life.

Thank you for all of the lovely things you said. And you're right, the uniform, especially with skirt and boots, made everyone look much taller!

Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:23 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I have some guard questions:

1. How many times has Phantom won best guard? I know they took it in 1988. Was that the only win?

2. If memory serves me right, wasn't SCV annouced as the winning guard in 1985 at finals, only to have it stripped a few moments later when the correction was announced?

3. Didn't Garfield's 1985 guard place like 9th?

1988 DCI Champions

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:35 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Maybe I need to get the 1980 DVD to check out this Lancer guard I've heard so much about!

1988 DCI Champions

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:51 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Gellio wrote:

1. How many times has Phantom won best guard? I know they took it in 1988. Was that the only win?

2. If memory serves me right, wasn't SCV annouced as the winning guard in 1985 at finals, only to have it stripped a few moments later when the correction was announced?

Seems like Phantom's guard took it in '96 when they tied with BD for the Championship title.....I could be wrong.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:53 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Gellio wrote:
Maybe I need to get the 1980 DVD to check out this Lancer guard I've heard so much about!

Yes, you should and not only Lancers, but check out Cavaliers and Sky Ryders as well. All were pushing the envelope when it came to rifle moves.
What makes 27th Lancers so unique was the fact that their precision has not been matched by any rifle line since....IMHO. :wink:

Oh, 2-7 got a perfect score......in the days of the tick system!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:52 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Gellio wrote:

I was standing on the field and heard SCV win guard, then they took it back and I think SPIRIT won.. ouch

Garfield was loosing to STAR's guard in 1985, we were on the west coast and heard this news, I pictured Garfield being Great so this unk Star corp must have been Gods.

fast-forward
(while sittting in the stands watching Star 1985 for the first time, by the time they got to "it's a small world," 10 girls went to the front sideline and picked up rifels I turned to a friend and said (joking) "Oh God, someones gonna get hurt."

side note: Garlfield's guard was just fine by the end of the season.

Last edited by COP on Fri May 23, 2003 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:52 am 
Soloist
Soloist

God, Garfield ROCKED in 1985. It totally broke my heart when SCV won, but that Garfield show was fierce. I remember the mis-announcement of best guard as well. Spirit was great that year.

If I remember correctly, Star also beat Cavies, Phantom, and Madison in BRASS (at the same show) in 1985. I remember hearing about that on tour with the Jr. Scouts.

Phantom was a wreck in early June in '85, but man that show was incredible come finals. I still think it's the hardest horn book ever attempted, considerably.

Phantom had quite a turn around in 1987. I remember the first time I saw them (and they lost to Bluecoats, Star, Madison, and Cavies). I knew that night that by DCI Phantom would be beating them all. I was almost right. I hope the Scouts can have a similar turn around this year.

1988 DCI Champions

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:54 am 
All Star
All Star

I'd like to add mid 70's Kilties. Those guys went for it! And were IMO phenominal.

Guardsmen - wow, those ladies did it! However, it almost appeared that they weren't that aware of their bodies. But they had a lot of body and leg moves and had so much going on. In certain cases during the tick system, you didn't have time to clean everything. And body awareness wasn't at the top of the list a lot of the time. But they did really difficult work! I don't believe I saw them in winter guard, but I've heard they were unbelievable.

Crossmen late 70s and early 80s did some very difficult moves. Having a rifle in one hand and a flag in the other is not the easiest thing to do. As well the pairs work with the flags and rifles was not only exciting, but together! :)

It seems that a lot of guards from the era above do not get the credit they deserve. We all know how difficult it is to first make up the work and then get it together. Props to all guard past, present and future!

Post subject: How could you leave out !
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:51 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The Troopers of Casper, Wyoming! Their Guard was SO GOOD, rumor has it at an Eastern show back in late 60s a judge wrote on score sheets " this is not a Color Guard Contest".
The Kingsmen of Anahime, California - early '70s
The Bridgemen of Bayonne, New Jersey - ' '70s and '80s
:!:

Post subject: Re: Best DCI Colorguards
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:46 pm 
All Star
All Star

cavies79 wrote:
We have had many great colorguards in DCI competition. Here are several of my all time favorites. Which are yours?

1. Cavaliers (1979-present)- Under Steve Brubaker and now Bruno Z. they have been very consistant in DCI and 1980s WGI.

2. Madison Scouts - During the 1970s and 80s , the Scouts colorguard under the instruction of Sal Salas and later Mike Turner were great !!

3. 27th Lancers- How can we forget the 1979/ 80 guard?

Others: Current Blue Devils (instructed by Scott Chandler), Spirit of Atlanta (1980s), Current SCV, 1979 North Star, 1998- present Crossmen, and Phantom Regiment (1996, 97 and the 1970s). :)

27th may have had the hardest working guard ever.....Double Flags!!!!!

Bridgemen from 76-81 also did many things that were unheard of during those times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next