The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Cavalier's new guard uniforms
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:53 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Cavaliers have posted pictures of their first performance on their website.

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/photos ... rchive=300

What does everyone think?

I personally think they're quite interesting but I will reserve judgement until I see them in person in Indianapolis.

The design has certainly been controversial none to say the least

Looks like this will be the summer of green, spandex clad butts.

And I can see the jokes now involving knee pads...and elbow pads...
:?

I have seen the Cavaliers guard dressed in less. Remember the 96 guard uniforms?...those didnt hide ANYTHING...at least the spandex holds things in place...

If the show is as phenominal as I hear it will be, I'm sure the Cavaliers will shut everyone up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:14 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I noticed "numbers" on the back of the tops......like a "sports" outfit or something. Does their show have any connection with these numbers?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

SOmeone asked the smae question over at DCP. Here is the response...

"The #s actually represent their own individual drill #s."

I think they are just liked cyclist numbers in a race.

Spirit Drum & Bugle Corps - FFF Member

If you want something you have never had, you are going to have to do something you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:46 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

JT76 wrote:
SOmeone asked the smae question over at DCP. Here is the response...

"The #s actually represent their own individual drill #s."

I think they are just liked cyclist numbers in a race.

Cyclist....eh? I guess that explains the very tight fit. :shock:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello,
IMHO, since a guard has stopped being a "Guard" as in the 70s and part of the 80s and has evolved into more of a creative dance troupe, there has not been a guard uniform since-they are a costume. Call me an old fogy if you will, but I still remember the Vanguard's "Bottle Dance" from the 70's and those girls looked both like a guard and were cute-looking in their uniforms too boot. The way a corps marched in the old days and the way they scramble or just wander around sometimes during their routine (I can't call it a drill) now is no comparison. I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers. Hi Nancy V!
Hail Sinfonia!
OAS, AAS, LLS!
Bill Trusty (Gamma Rho)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:28 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Call Indiana Jones, we just dug up a DINOSAUR!!!! HAHA

Boy how i miss symmetry and no dynamics :)

Hail Sinfonia Brother Trusty!

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:05 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I like the unis, but I have only one complaint: not gay enough. :wink:

Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:40 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

TOO MUCH GREEN!!!! :vomit: And please lose the elbow/knee pads! Ach!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:52 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

Uh, well, uh. I guess the most flattering thing I could say about them is.....I could not be paid enough to march in one of those.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:12 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Cache_Money wrote:
I like the unis, but I have only one complaint: not gay enough. :wink:

I was going to add my 2 cents worth in - but it's too easy. Making fun of those uni's is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel

:lol:

Post subject: Guard
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

All Hail Brother DCI Monkey!
From a PROUD Dinosaur, low-brass type and tymp-in-the-pit/tenor battery player when needed who as an army reservist also got to work/play with those aussie-hatted and very pretty REAL GUARD girls!! :wink:
ALL HAIL!
Bill Trusty

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:38 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

It looks more like the geeky kid down the road tried to put together a super hero costume and couldn't find anything but some left over green long johns and knee pads. Asparagus Crusader? Rides bikes to fight crime? This has got to be a joke. They put them on just for the first show on a dare. Honestly they would look better wearing my grandmother's old bras for a top and scooby doo under-roos for pants. And what is it that the knee pads are supposed to say? That they managed to get a higher guard score than they deserved by some arrangement after the show? I don't mean to insult anyone, but honestly, how could anyone be insulted after marching shows wearing that! They are beyond being insulted! The fact that they have worn them so far shows they have thicker skin than an elephant! Am I missing something? Is thier music entitled "A Jolly Green Giant Suite" ? Good god they manage to even make the skinny kids look fat! Barf! Puke! Bb! And don't write me saying that I havn't seen them in person! There is no way they could look better in person! Somebody in that guard needs to grow a hair on thier ass and lynch who ever is responsible for those things! I have to go! I have to throw up the last three meals I ate! Leeches! I need leeches to draw out the poison! And laxitives! Strong ones! I need to see a psychologist! Shock thereapy! Oh god a lobotomy won't erase the memories of those awful awful memories! I can't imagine Satan making people wear those uniforms in hell! Somebody please kill me now! I'm poking my eyes out with knitting needles even as we speak! Stab stab stab! Stab stab stab!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:44 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

vomitbunny wrote:
It looks more like the geeky kid down the road tried to put together a super hero costume and couldn't find anything but some left over green long johns and knee pads. Asparagus Crusader? Rides bikes to fight crime? This has got to be a joke. They put them on just for the first show on a dare. Honestly they would look better wearing my grandmother's old bras for a top and scooby doo under-roos for pants. And what is it that the knee pads are supposed to say? That they managed to get a higher guard score than they deserved by some arrangement after the show? I don't mean to insult anyone, but honestly, how could anyone be insulted after marching shows wearing that! They are beyond being insulted! The fact that they have worn them so far shows they have thicker skin than an elephant! Am I missing something? Is thier music entitled "A Jolly Green Giant Suite" ? Good god they manage to even make the skinny kids look fat! Barf! Puke! Bb! And don't write me saying that I havn't seen them in person! There is no way they could look better in person! Somebody in that guard needs to grow a hair on thier ass and lynch who ever is responsible for those things! I have to go! I have to throw up the last three meals I ate! Leeches! I need leeches to draw out the poison! And laxitives! Strong ones! I need to see a psychologist! Shock thereapy! Oh god a lobotomy won't erase the memories of those awful awful memories! I can't imagine Satan making people wear those uniforms in hell! Somebody please kill me now! I'm poking my eyes out with knitting needles even as we speak! Stab stab stab! Stab stab stab!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite the post for #100

Quote:
I can't imagine Satan making people wear those uniforms in hell!

:cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:45 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

the person who was with me referred to them, i believe, as "visually painful". They are quite offensive, and many people around me were making comments, during Grand Finale, about the visibility of body parts. Regardless of their ugliness, they ARE a good visual effect, but no self-respecting person should wear them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:12 pm 
All Star
All Star

Best guard uniforms ever: 1993 Phantom Regiment

Compared to 2003 Cavaliers... well, the "bulges" in Phantom 93's guard uniforms were... uh, in slightly different locations. And much more to my liking. 8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next