The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injuries.....how many have YOU had?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:34 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Okay, after doing 4 years of guard somewhere along the line you get an injury. My senior year of winterguard I busted my right knee. My first year of drum corps I got shin splints for the first time (OW!) And finally I've sustained heavy head injuries!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:50 pm 
All Star
All Star

Quote:
And finally I've sustained heavy head injuries!!

Not from posting to the board, I hope! (I can see it now, "Dave S, your site needs safety labels, this lady just got brained by a show review...!")

My only injury sustained while marching was courtesy of one of the guard. She, on the end of her line, was swinging past our line of sopranos, except their line was farther back than usual and I couldn't see them because of the direction of the move. Anyway, no bodies collided, but as she was doing her work her flag pole came back and bashed me right square in the bell of my horn while I was playing.

Amazingly enough, I lost no teeth and the cuts on the inside of my lips were tiny. In fact, my lips had the courtesy not to swell up too badly until AFTER I was fiinished with the show. I DID need help getting the mouthpiece out of the leadpipe, though, and it's a good thing we didn't have any shows scheduled for the next few days. Youch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:13 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Hmmm....let's see.....I would say the worst injury was when I marched with Reading Buccaneers. Ralph Pace had the guard doing "Sissy LaLa's" ....l leaped in the air and landed in a hole on the field. I thought at first I was going to get mowed over by the huge guys in the base drum line backing up. I couldn't walk or stand, the girls on both sides of me saw what happened and picked me up and moved me to safety.
Whew! Was that close! Anyway I broke my ankle when I fell into that hole! I had a cast on for 9 long weeks. Since I couldn't march the rest of the season, I helped teach the guard work for the exit. I'm just glad it happened in Senior corps and not while I was in Crossmen. :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:28 pm 
Soloist
Soloist

The worst injury I got in color guard was when I was marching in winter guard with Los Comancheros in '78. My memory is a little fuzzy on the details. We were rehearsing a move in the opener that had me marching forward through two columns of flags while they brought their flags up from a slam position (don't remember all the terminology...sorry). I was supposed to be two counts behind the flags going up, but in this instance, I was half a count behind and got smacked in the mouth by a flag and knocked on my back. I remember tasting blood, seeing people getting grossed out, and the director running over to see how bad the injury was. It seems the flag pole, when it hit me, hit in a way that impacted under one of my incisors. The incisor cut completely through the flesh and was hit by the flag pole. I remember being taken to the hospital for stitches and getting a butterfly bandage instead. Don't remember anything else after that. I still have the scar.

When I marched on the rifle line of my high school and the Bleu Raeders, I remember busting my lip on several occasions and the rifle hitting me in the head on a few occasions. I had to have a couple of concussions in my time on the rifle line. The funny part is I left color guard to play on the horn line, not because of the injuries, but because dance routines were replacing rifle routines and I didn't want to carry a rifle and dance. Although I don't have a rifle anymore, I sometimes spin a baseball bat just to get into practice again.

Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:57 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

JD,
I bet if you go to one of your local high school band rooms, they probably have an old rifle that they would let you have. Then you can put down that baseball bat and practice some quads! :wink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:43 am 
Soloist
Soloist

Malibu wrote:
JD,
I bet if you go to one of your local high school band rooms, they probably have an old rifle that they would let you have. Then you can put down that baseball bat and practice some quads! :wink:

Corps rifle lines have come a long way since we marched. I remember the big rifle feature of the Raeder '79 show was a quint. Now they are thrown as warm-ups. The bands in my area are not what they used to be. Color guards are optional; sometimes a band has one and sometimes it doesn't and it's usually all flags. It's sad really, what they have as show material, we had as warm-ups. :cry:

Phantom Regiment '82-'83
CorpsVets '03-'04

“The vast majority of those who are famous are not significant and the vast majority of those who are significant are not famous.” - Dennis Prager

Post subject: Injuries...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:58 am 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I marched in Conquest and Hawthorne Caballeros and I don't remember having any major injuries but its ok..... I have two kids who pick up the slack for me.... We have an independent winterguard and my 10 year old (doesn't march there yet!) got 8 stitches from a rifle 5 three weeks ago and my older daughter marches in Cabs guard this year on weapons and comes home with new bruises each week.... including a black eye....lol.... God I love this sport! LOL!!!! :P