Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sabre Length
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

What is the average sabre length used by drum corps. I know they all don't use the same length or brand, but what is the general rule of thumb when It comes to sabres. 39, 36... 32?

I know that is kind of a dumb question, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about drum corps color guards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:24 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

You are right it does vary depending on the instructor and what they are used to. I personally like the 39"......to me it's more visual because of it's length. I know PR used them in '96 as well as Crossmen.

Also rifles are seen in various sizes too. Again, I prefer the longer one.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:04 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Hey! 1stsoprano_prodigy or Malibu

I got one question for you guys. I'm currently the Majastix Winter Guard Director! Unforunately I havent hire a CG Instructor of yet. But I would like to know what would be a perfect size length Sabres & Rifle? For a Brand New Winter Guard. That most of my members either have some experience in Color Guard or No Experience at all.

Thanks

:lol: 8-) :D :wink:

Temescal Canyon High School
*Pit Instructor* 05-
Elsinore High School
*Pit & Battery Caption Head/Arranger* 05-Present
*Drill Writer* 98-01
*Marching Instructor/Caption Head* 98-Present

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:50 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

FohiPitInstructor wrote:

Hey! 1stsoprano_prodigy or Malibu

I got one question for you guys. I'm currently the Majastix Winter Guard Director! Unforunately I havent hire a CG Instructor of yet. But I would like to know what would be a perfect size length Sabres & Rifle? For a Brand New Winter Guard. That most of my members either have some experience in Color Guard or No Experience at all.

Thanks

:lol: 8-) :D :wink:

Ya know, I still like the longer ones better.....they show up visually better on and off the field. It doesn't really matter if they are returning vets or all rookies. I've taught rookies right off the bat with the longer weapons and they execute the same. It really depends on what you want.

Same thing with flag poles. Some instructors think beginners should start off with a 5 or 5 1/2 foot pole. I disagree.....I think whatever you start them off with they will learn and not think twice what the size is. I prefer 6, 6 1/2 or 7 foot poles.....again, the larger the equipment, the more visual impact it will bring.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:47 pm 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
.....again, the larger the equipment, the more visual impact it will bring.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

And from one of the moderators even... :roll:

Music is like candy; to get to the good stuff, you have to remove the rappers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:06 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

xsabers wrote:
Malibu wrote:
.....again, the larger the equipment, the more visual impact it will bring.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

aaaaaah.....only you would have their head in the gutter. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:55 pm 
All Star
All Star

What's interesting is that she says that once a decision is made, size doesn't matter. :lol:

(Don't know why you adults are blushing...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:06 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Kimberly wrote:
What's interesting is that she says that once a decision is made, size doesn't matter. :lol:

(Don't know why you adults are blushing...)

Oh my! :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:42 pm 
All Star
All Star

There you go, Malibu, blushing again! <grin>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:45 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I agree with Malibu, but for a different reason. I used 36"s when I was learning, and those worked well enough. But before state, we switched to 39s. The 39s felt alot more stable to throw than the 36s for some reason, besides the fact they were a heavier. So if your guard started out on 39s, the new weight wouldn't be a factor if you later bought 39s after buying 36s... if that makes any sense.

Maybe I just had a weird experience with the feel of a longer rifle, and maybe it is easier to spin shorter rifles, I'm not sure. This is the account of a first year winterguard participant, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

P.S. - Our guard got our rifles here. They are really nice, and from what I've heard, pretty rugged.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:56 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

1stsoprano_prodigy wrote:
I agree with Malibu, but for a different reason. I used 36"s when I was learning, and those worked well enough. But before state, we switched to 39s. The 39s felt alot more stable to throw than the 36s for some reason, besides the fact they were a heavier. So if your guard started out on 39s, the new weight wouldn't be a factor if you later bought 39s after buying 36s... if that makes any sense.

Maybe I just had a weird experience with the feel of a longer rifle, and maybe it is easier to spin shorter rifles, I'm not sure. This is the account of a first year winterguard participant, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

P.S. - Our guard got our rifles here. They are really nice, and from what I've heard, pretty rugged.

Yes, that's were I get my rifles from too. Many drum corps and indoor guards buy from him as well.

I will say a shorter rifle is easier to spin and toss but because of the shortness it is also easier to over throw or loose control.
I have found that the longer rifle (because of balance) is very left hand friendly.....especially during spins. Yes it may take extra muscle to toss that "tree trunk" but when it's in the air it takes command of everything else.
After spending time on a longer rifle, you'll start calling the shorter ones babies. 8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:05 pm 
All Star
All Star

When my sister was done in 27 in 70, I had a few of her rifles. My Dad went and got me a new one which was sweet, however he didn't realize it was a baby one.

I found it much more difficult to use even at 11 after using the longer one to begin to learn on.

Malibu, you mention the left hand, I believe most of the years I marched, I was the only one that was left handed! However I do many things with my right, so I guess it didn't matter. Like throw a ball-right handed, eat with a fork/spoon-both, hold my cards-both.

My Dad was fully ambi and we had 3 out of 5 in my immediately family. Leftys were not that common when I was growing up.

They tried to change my Dad, he still stuttered a little from that....nuns! :evil:

How about you Malibu? Or anyone else?

I.C. Reveries
Rifle/Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:12 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

LancerFi wrote:
When my sister was done in 27 in 70, I had a few of her rifles. My Dad went and got me a new one which was sweet, however he didn't realize it was a baby one.

I found it much more difficult to use even at 11 after using the longer one to begin to learn on.

Malibu, you mention the left hand, I believe most of the years I marched, I was the only one that was left handed! However I do many things with my right, so I guess it didn't matter. Like throw a ball-right handed, eat with a fork/spoon-both, hold my cards-both.

My Dad was fully ambi and we had 3 out of 5 in my immediately family. Leftys were not that common when I was growing up.

They tried to change my Dad, he still stuttered a little from that....nuns! :evil:

How about you Malibu? Or anyone else?

I meant left handed friendly because as you know some beginner groups have more trouble spinning with the left hand because of the uneven balance in the rifle. It is much easier to spin in the right hand because of the design....not because one is left or right handed.

The rifle that I was talking about is longer than most... therefor the design is easier for beginners to spin out of the left hand.

Girl, you are so talented with rifle....you were a born natural! :bow:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:00 pm 
All Star
All Star

The thing is, when it was time to spin in 100's my left was much stronger than my right, and the right handed people weren't as strong in their left-this is as far as strength goes. Didn't matter what we were spinning.

It all felt pretty level to me not odd in the least as far as weight on one end or the other. But when you've been walking around with a rifle in your hand for a long time, I guess you don't think of that, whether your 18 or 10.

I guess because we began so young back then with Class A, B, C- year round and the feeder corps, etc. it was just a whole different thing. By freshman year in high school you were all ready for the big time, whatever that was and whatever that meant to each individual.

I.C. Reveries
Rifle/Guard