Favorite winterguards of all time!!!

Discussion topics unique to the art of colorguard

Moderator: The Moderating Team

cavies79
Support Staff
Support Staff

Favorite winterguards of all time!!!

Post by cavies79 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:35 am

These are my favorites. Most are pre-1990 since I moved to Texas, I lost contact with seeing WGI shows.

1. Cavaliers (West Side Story).......exciting and innovative.

2. Cavaliers (007 show).........again excitement!!!

3. State Street Review (The Four Seasons)......awesome in design/performance.

4. Phantom Regiment (1980, 81 seasons)........I used to love watching Regiment's winterguard.

5. Guardsmen (no specific show or year)..........another great guard that were fun to watch.
Dennis O. Eveland
Composer/ Arranger/ Band Director
Cavalier Alumni
Laredo, Texas

Malibu
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Malibu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:29 am

My all time favorite WGI show is 1993 Escapade.....the R.E.M. show! I believe either Brubaker or Gaines wrote that phenomenal drill. If no one has ever seen a winter guard before, I suggest you take a look at that!

As cavies79 said 1982 Cavaliers West Side Story as well as Cavies 1983 James Bond are on my list as some of the top guards from all time. Unfortunately, you can't purchase the 1983 Cavies on WGI on Demand. There was a problem with copy rights. However, if you purchase one of the "Fans 15 Favorites" you will find them on that.

On the WGI website, you can create your own DVD of your favorites. It's 5 shows for $20.00. Any show after the 5 is only a $1.99 each.

Here's a link;

WGI on Demand
Malibu
Crossmen Alumni

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

WE ARE SPARTACI
All Star
All Star

Post by WE ARE SPARTACI » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:14 pm

1980-81 Cavies was my first exposure to WGI and it made quite the impression on me. Very cool music, off-the-charts execution and GE. It was all about equipment work and drill.

Cutting edge at the time maybe, but definitely old school from today's vantage point.

Jim Anello
All Star
All Star

Post by Jim Anello » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 pm

I've only attened two WGI finals, and the first one in 1979 was very memorable because I got to see George Zingali's Quasar do Come Sail Away. Absolutely frenetic flag work. I could hear those silks whipping even in the quiet intro to the song. Needless to say, George was bouncing up and down with glee - basically being himself. Quite a memory.

The 1979 Kilties at this show is an answer to a trivia question. They are one of the few guards I know of that didn't make the finals at their regional championship (Midwest Color Guard Circuit), yet made finals at WGI.
Jim Anello