Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From The Drum Corps Book of World Records, First Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:41 pm 
All Star
All Star

The following items are from The Drum Corps Book of World Records, First Edition, Earl Orf, Editor. He has published a second edition. Please contact me if you're interested in getting a copy. I have secured Mr. Orf's permission to post this material.

YOUNGEST MARCHING MEMBER

Charity Ann Russo of Cotton, MN marched and played a soprano bugle when she was only three years old. Charity started playing with the Cotton Junior Drum and Bugle Coprs in 1976.

OLDEST MARCHING MEMBER

Harvey Olderman of Derby, CT was born on May 21, 1896. Harvey's marching career began in 1931 when the John Collins Post Fife and Drum Corps was organized. This corps evolved into the Connecticut Hurricanes in 1955. (As of 1978), Harvey continues to march with the Hurricanes and currently holds the position of color guard captain. In all of the years that Harvey has marched, he missed only two contests!

Personal note: I heard of Harvey in the late 70s and met him when I attended my first DCA championships in 1979. Very nice guy! AND, I understand how he was able to continue doing drum corps for so long. He had more young women surrounding him than I could shake a stick at. It looked like he had his own personal harem! Must've been his personal Fountain of Youth.

I'm guessing Harvey is Color Guard Sgt. in the Heavenly Regiment All Age Corps by now. Can anybody provide some information.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:43 am 
All Star
All Star

Harvey Olderman passed away either in '85 or '86. According to the Hurricanes chapter in volume 2 of the Drum Corps World History Book, Harvey marched until he was 86.

The Connecticut Hurricanes dedicated their show to the "late Harvey Olderman" in the 1986 season.

The youngest member now is probably the 2-year-old who was on the field with the Racine Kilts in their final season as a junior corps, 1982. She was the daughter of one of the members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:55 am 
All Star
All Star

Two year old daughter of a marchng member of a junior corps! Overage must have still been active even then it would seem.
Dan Kelly

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." BF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:01 pm 
All Star
All Star

Dan Kelly wrote:
Two year old daughter of a marchng member of a junior corps! Overage must have still been active even then it would seem.
Dan Kelly

Maybe this is a teenage mother. As we all know, it unfortunately happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: From The Drum Corps Book of World Records, First Edition
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

I don't know if anyone still is involved with this thread but I came upon it by chance. I'm that 3 year old Charity Ann Russo from the Cotton Junior Drum and Bugle Corp. My grandparents, Pat & Hilda Russo, ran the organization and were quite proud. I had no idea I was in a record book (at least at the time). It was a lot of fun to be a part of and I can remember going to very large stadiums to perform. Thank you for the recognition. :D

Profile E-mail