Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NightBeat Review or...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 am 
All Star
All Star

...why is the East not getting the respect it deserves?

VENUE: Outstanding! This site is far superior to Memorial Stadium. There was easy access to parking, and concessions were close to the seats. The bathrooms were CLEAN!The climb up to Section C Row AA was challenging since I am in need of a hip replacement. I REALLY could have used help from the Cavaliers! :lol: I noticed a marked difference in sound from bottom to top. The top was great for seeing drill and getting the whole picture, but all the power from the brass was lost. Go down a few rows, and your face got peeled off. I honestly think the 50 buck seats would be more enjoyable than those that cost 75 dollars.

Joe Pero played a sort of recital before the show officially started. Mondo chops! I loved his shoes... :lol: Somebody hollered for a double C, and he ripped out a double D instead. There was a delay in the PA system which caused an echo effect. I couldn't help but think about the Cavaliers again. :lol: BTW, Pero's CD is wonderful (I bought it months ago). He, also, played the National Anthem. I like Scott Dean's version better. :D

PIONEER: The brass has improved from last year, and they didn't run out of gas. There were severe problems with sound on the move. The tuning of the snares served as a great distraction. I really liked the drum feature with the bodhrans and the "musket" rifles in the guard. Pretty neat. The only thing I would suggest that if you're going to use a jig motif for a drum feature take a listen to the energy in Irish pub bands or pipe bands. The melodic line tends to be downbeat heavy, but the rhythmic line favors the backbeat. It might drive the feature better.

JERSEY SURF: Mozart! There was big big jump up in volume and execution. The section from his Requiem was my favorite. Loved the ankle knee marching! What a hoot! Like Pioneer, there were clear problems with sound on the move. The silks were very creative. How did that LITTLE woman pull that HUGE sailboat flag? :shock: These guard members were something else. They did one toss where one girl overthrew. The next girl stretched like an outfielder, caught the flag, and still managed to get the twirl in. 8-)

CROSSMEN: Get rid of the capes. Go back to jazz. Liked the ballad. That's all I have to say.

COLTS: From a musical standpoint, nothing in this show caught my attention. I wish I could give more superlatives to a corps that I usually enjoy, but seeing how the staff cheered louder than the crowd...well, that pretty much sums it up.

MADISON: This one's a blast! HA! When the guard member knocks down the whole horn section, HAHAHAHAHahahahahaha :lol: Pure chesse, but I ate it up! Great brass tonight. The biggest compliment I can give is for their guard. They SELL the concept, and it was a joy to watch them. My one criticism is concerning Malaga. If you're going to play Malaga, then PLAY Malaga. It would have perfectly into your story.

The Blue Stars could not make it since they have contracted this mysterious virus going around the circuit. Maybe they need to french kiss the Blue Devils! :twisted:

CADETS: They were on fire tonight, and the judges STILL are not rewarding the accomplished difficulty. Drill was great and the brass made it to the end with panache. Totally sold it. The legs and feet were SWEET! There was a problem in COOL just before the digital piano solo. I didn't hear the low brass playing those big whole notes, but it could have been the stadium. They totally deserved the win tonight. To those that are comparing this show to '84 and desiring the Z-pull, stop it. You must look at this in context with the show theme. Yes, the music is a throwback to classic Cadets. but it's a study of layering and contrast that RESOLVES harmoniously as well as matching drill to the music. It's not necessarily ABOUT West Side Story. They could have used ANY piece of music, but they chose a familiar vehicle to pay homage to their anniversary. Look past the tunes to the innovation, folks.

CAROLINA CROWN: No doubt they have the best musical book of the year. It is so beautiful, and I nearly cry every time I hear it. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the perfection of their ballad. Outstanding effort, but the hometown jinx got them again. God even put flashes of lightning in the sky to help you out! :lol: The drill is cleaner from Atlanta. I still think they need some more high octane drill upon the reprise of Promise of Living. Annnnd, it's too bad that SCV beat them to the soft ending while exiting the stadium. That would have been classic, and it would have fit perfectly with the theme. C'est la vie! It was an absolutely wonderful performance, and I am blessed to have witnessed it.

My last thought is to the crowd! When your hometown corps comes into the stadium (a hometown corps that is a TRUE World Class organization that is contending for the title), you should cheer so loud and so long that it shakes the stadium! These kids are the real deal! It should be so loud that God Himself says, "What the heck was that?" :lol: It is perfectly appropriate to lose your mind at the home show. Atlanta put us to shame! ATLANTA! I applaud the efforts to finance the organization and to provide a wonderful venue, but AAAAAAAARGH! CHEER FOR YOUR CORPS! They deserved it! They are wonderful!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NightBeat Review or...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:32 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Nice review. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:41 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Even though I marched in the cape era, I think Crossmen's capes would work if they chose the right material as well as color. They are too flimsy and too dark. I understand they are supposed to be Vampires, but come on, give us some RED!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:
Even though I marched in the cape era, I think Crossmen's capes would work if they chose the right material as well as color. They are too flimsy and too dark. I understand they are supposed to be Vampires, but come on, give us some RED!

Bones made an appearance at the Atlanta show and he was in a red cape :)

I actually thought the all black look was pretty cool and went well with the show theme. The capes did become a bit distracting towards the end and lost their effect though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 am 
All Star
All Star

Malibu wrote:

Y'know, the Crossmen are my third favorite corps behind Cadets and Madison. It just really distresses me that they have taken a step backwards from last year's push. When Michael told me what they were doing this year, I was genuinely looking forward to it, but these capes this year....oy! And every time I hear Medea, I compare it to Star. I don't understand why they are floundering when Texas has some of the best marching band programs in the country. Look at Academy. They have a very mature sound for the limited amount of time they've been in DCI. There is no reason why the Xmen are unable to grow this program now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:08 am 
All Star
All Star

cwbjr67 wrote:
I don't understand why (Crossmen) are floundering when Texas has some of the best marching band programs in the country. Look at Academy. They have a very mature sound for the limited amount of time they've been in DCI. There is no reason why the Xmen are unable to grow this program now.

I did not get to see or hear Crossmen in Charleston, but I can attest to the mature sound of The Academy. I really enjoyed their show a lot, primarily for the quality of the music.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 am 
All Star
All Star

Jazzman wrote:
I did not get to see or hear Crossmen in Charleston, but I can attest to the mature sound of The Academy. I really enjoyed their show a lot, primarily for the quality of the music.

I agree, I think The Academy has a solid shot at Finals. They were right up their with the Colts and a tad bit better than the Troopers IMO. It would obviously be really cool to see Troopers back in Finals, but it would also be really neat to see the Academy make it for their first time as well.