What sort of Marching Drums are best for THIS?!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderator: The Moderating Team

Ellen
New Recruit
New Recruit

What sort of Marching Drums are best for THIS?!

Post by Ellen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Hey guys,

this is slightly out of the way about discussions on Drum Corps seasons and leaderboards but I hope some people will still want to chat :).

I’m currently looking for opinions on marching drums suitable for young children aged 5-9 or so. I’m currently running a drum ensemble at a school which is going well, but I’d love to start some VERY basic marching also.

It’s a challenge to find drums that are light enough for young children to carry which still sound okay (or perhaps just sound the least terrible!).

Because I’m in Australia, there are very few options available here to try in person. So I wanted to ask all of you.

I’ve been posting in various drum, marching and band forums in order to get as many opinions as possible but I’d love to hear yours. :)

Thanks,

Ellen

rysa4
All Star
All Star

Re: What sort of Marching Drums are best for THIS?!

Post by rysa4 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Remo makes some practice pads that sound just like full marching snares, especially for snares that are strung very tightly. Its just a matter of attaching them to carriers which your remo rep may be able to help out with.

cwbjr67
All Star
All Star

Re: What sort of Marching Drums are best for THIS?!

Post by cwbjr67 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:23 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152408209829172

I can't quite make out the brand on these, but if you show this video to your local drum dealer, I'm sure he/she could accomodate you.
GO CADETS!