The Drum Corps Discussion Group
Presented by The Sound Machine Drum Corps Scores Archive

Links to Other Sites: 

* FAQ   * Search   * Login   * Register 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: NFL Football Pool Game III
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:49 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Yes, its that time of year again! This is the third go around for this game on the Sound Machine board. Read below for more information....

The way you play the game is similar to an office football pool (but sorry, no money changes hands on this one). After I list the “Game Open” announcement each week, you pick the winner of each game that week. Then you receive a score for that week based on how many picks you got correct, and your answer to 2 bonus questions (bonus questions help to break up ties).

The score you earn each week is then averaged in to other week’s scores to come up with 3 levels of “Season Average” scores. The season average rankings you play for are “Regular Season Average” for weeks 1-17 of the season, “Post Season Average” for the playoffs and Super Bowl, and “Full Season Average” for all weeks of play.

Here’s a link to last year’s game on the Sound Machine board, if you care to take a peek at how it was played throughout the season. http://www.soundmachine.org/dci/forum/v ... php?t=6704 Page two of that thread explains the way the game is scored in detail.

In past years, we’ve just played for individual bragging rights. But this year I’d like to add a new twist to the game. In addition to playing for individual bragging rights, I’m opening it up for team play as well. How that will work is, 3 players may team up with each other to play against other teams that form up on the board. All you do is still make the individual picks as usual, and each player’s individual score is averaged with their teammate’s score of the week to get a Team Score. That format would follow through for the Season Average rankings as well by averaging out each team’s weekly score.

This Team competition part of the game will hopefully carry over to all the boards I run this game on, so you compete against teams from other drum corps boards. I’ve contacted the Administrators on each board I’m registered on (total of 4), and received the OK from 3 of them (Sound Machine, DCP and Troopers). I’m still waiting for a response from the fourth board, but I suspect they are too concerned at this point in focusing their energies on the remaining weeks of the drum corps season.

Teams on each board will be encouraged to be creative in naming their teams. But since we’ll hopefully also be playing against other boards and their teams, I prefer each team have something in their name to indicate which board they are representing. That way, when you see the weekly scoring results, you know who you are up against. For instance, as a DCP representative, you can put DCP somewhere in your name, or SM for Sound Machine, or Troop for Troopers.

If you are registered on multiple boards (of the ones I listed), you are free to play as an individual on each board. But if you play on a team, I prefer you pick just one board/team to represent. Individual play will be just against the people on whichever board you play on. I am open to the suggestion that individual play also go across the board to play against individuals from other boards. But I’ll leave that open for your comments and suggestions.

To run the game for individual rankings on one board, I’d like to have no less than five players on that board. If it turns out that all we have is 3 people interested on one board, and they’d like to form a team, I’ll consider running the game on that board.

Please leave your responses in this thread that you’d be interested. If I get no responses, then I won’t run the game on this board. If I get enough interest on this board, I will open the game up with the first Pre Season week of play. However, just like in the NFL, the Pre Season is only to get our feet wet, iron out the kinks, get familiar with the game, and recruit players. Pre Season scores will not factor in to the Season Average rankings, and there will not be a season average kept for the Pre Season. Team competition also will not start until the first week of the Regular Season. This give us the Pre Season to get to know who else might be playing and to start recruiting each other to form a team. This also gives everyone a chance to finish out the drum corps season, return home and decompress.

Again, please let me know if you are interested in playing this game, individually and as a team. Thanks!

Trooper Aunt: 2005

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pool III
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:27 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Well I have the "Blonde Bomber" Malibu as my "Coach. We'll win one for the Gipper !!

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 am 
All Star
All Star

I think I will play this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:23 am 
All Star
All Star

Yep, but I have to remember the dang deadlines so I don't mess up my score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I will definitely play again this year.

Go Bears!

Laredo, Texas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:29 pm 
All Star
All Star

I'll probably play again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: A few points..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:39 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

I'm about to open the game for the first week of the pre-season with over a week before the deadline, in hopes some will have a chance to see it and post picks before heading off to Pasadena. We do not include the Hall Of Fame weekend in this game.

This year I'm offering a service to folks who lead busy crazy lives and may not be able to keep up with deadlines each week, primarily when the first game of the week is earlier than the conventional Saturday game. If you'd like me to shoot you an e-mail each week letting you know the game is open, and what the deadline is, then e-mail me at FBPoolGame@comcast.net, and make the request. Please take note this is an e-mail exclusive to the Football Pool Game, and not the one I have in my profile. I hope to run this game on several boards this year, and I will be using the same e-mail address for all sites. So if you e-mail me, please make sure to identify yourself by username and forum (or forums, if you'll be playing on more than one) in the body of your e-mail, so I know who you are. And although I intend to use a privacy setting on the e-mail I send out so others can't see the addys of each recipient, you might want to let me know just how private you prefer I keep your address.

Just to be clear on one rule.....a deadline is a deadline is a deadline. Picks for all the games of the week must be in by kickoff of the first game of the week. Some people in prior years have hoped to submit picks in "pieces" when there are early games in the week (ie, picks for early games, then later picks for the games later in the week). But this just makes it too hard on me to keep track of, especially since this isn't the only board I run the game on. Hopefully offering the e-mail notice to players will help with this.

Thanks for playing!! And start helping me drag in those players!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pre-Season - Week 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:43 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

THE GAME IS NOW OPEN
FOR PICKS FOR
Pre-Season Week 1

Pick The Winner Of Each Game: (40 Points Each)

Thursday, Aug 9
1. Indianapolis at Dallas
2. Cincinnati at Detroit
Friday, Aug 10
3. Buffalo at New Orleans
4. Atlanta at N.Y. Jets
5. New England at Tampa Bay
6. St. Louis at Minnesota
Saturday, Aug 11
7. Washington at Tennessee
8. Green Bay at Pittsburgh
9. Jacksonville at Miami
10. Kansas City at Cleveland
11. Carolina at N.Y. Giants
12. Chicago at Houston
13. Arizona at Oakland
Sunday, Aug 12
14. Seattle at San Diego
Monday, Aug 13
15. Denver at San Francisco
16. Philadelphia at Baltimore

Bonus Question 1: What will be the Point Spread of Game# 15 ( Denver at San Francisco )?
(15 points, minus the variance of your guess from the actual points scored.)

Bonus Question 2: What will be the final total score of Game# 16 ( Philadelphia at Baltimore )?
(25 points, minus the variance of your guess from the actual points scored.)

Deadline for picks is kickoff of the first game of the week (Thursday, Aug 9). Approximately 7:30 pm Eastern.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: My Picks: totally no logic involved
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:46 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

1. Indianapolis
2. Cincinnati
3. New Orleans
4. N.Y. Jets
5. New England
6. Minnesota
7. Tennessee
8. Green Bay
9. Jacksonville
10. Cleveland
11. N.Y. Giants
12. Houston
13. Oakland
14. San Diego
15. Denver
16. Philadelphia

BQ1: 10
BQ2: 27

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pre-Season - Week 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:59 am 
All Star
All Star

Pre-Season Week 1
1. Dallas
2. Detroit
3. Buffalo
4. N.Y. Jets
5. New England
6. Minnesot
7. Tennessee
8. Pittsburgh
9. Jacksonville
10. Cleveland
11. Carolina
12. Chicago
13. Oakland
14. San Diego
15. San Francisco
16. Baltimore

Bonus Question 1:What will be the Point Spread of Game# 15-9 pts.

What will be the final total score of Game# 16 ( Philadelphia at Baltimore )? Phil-10 Baltimore-24

Deadline for picks is kickoff of the first game of the week (Thursday, Aug 9). Approximately 7:30 pm Eastern.[/quote]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:52 am 
All Star
All Star

I guess its not too late to join in...

Thursday, Aug 9
1. Indianapolis
2. Cincinnati
Friday, Aug 10
3. New Orleans
4. N.Y. Jets
5. New England
6. Minnesota
Saturday, Aug 11
7. Washington
8. Pittsburgh
9. Jacksonville
10. Kansas City
11. N.Y. Giants
12. Chicago
13. Oakland
Sunday, Aug 12
14. Seattle
Monday, Aug 13
15. Denver
16. Philadelphia

Bonus Question 1: What will be the Point Spread of Game# 15 ( Denver at San Francisco )? 17

Bonus Question 2: What will be the final total score of Game# 16 ( Philadelphia at Baltimore )? 34

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:45 pm 
All Star
All Star

Do I hurt myself by not participating in the preseason but starting with the regular season? If I recall correctly, last season was strictly for laffs, and you syatyed from scratch with game one of the regular season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:56 pm 
Support Staff
Support Staff

Jim Anello wrote:
Do I hurt myself by not participating in the preseason but starting with the regular season? If I recall correctly, last season was strictly for laffs, and you syatyed from scratch with game one of the regular season.

That's correct Jim. Pre-Season doesn't count towards the regular season averages. Its just a way to get our feet wet, entice people to come in and play, and to iron out whatever kinks need to be addressed (as in with the formulas buried in my spreadsheet that calculate the scores, placements, averages, etc).

So no, you don't hurt yourself by not playing the pre-season. 8-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:14 pm 
All Star
All Star

Jim Anello wrote:

But your GE score takes a big hit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 am 
Soloist
Soloist

I'm in for the regular season - and post season - to DEFEND my title?

I'm not big on preseason picks.

Don't cry because it's over.
SMILE because it's happened!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next